who is gregg brandon?

Guys, not sure if many of you can read, but his actual role with the Bills has nothing to do with football. So no, it doesn't matter if he has a sports background. But that said, he did major in sports management, so yes, he did do something with professional franchises in his career.

his position is a business position and being a lawyer he's likely someone that will handle internal legal affairs for the company. The Bills aren't simply a 'team' they are a company that is worth $800million. And every $800million has general counsels (or lawyers) on retainer.

Relax, put down the pitchforks. his experiences is more than satisfactory for what he'll be doing for the Bills company, as he has already worked with other multi-million dollar companies.

And if nepotism was the reason, why didn't Russ bring him in years ago when Russ was CEO? C'mon kids, grow up ...

Is there any proof that he was even hired by the Bills? No search reveals anything.

Yes usa today sports section transactions buffalo bills. I don't can either way. But I just thinks it a little funny that russ hires his brother as a vp and doesn't send us a text. They seem to text us about everything else.

Yes usa today sports section transactions buffalo bills. I don't can either way. But I just thinks it a little funny that russ hires his brother as a vp and doesn't send us a text. They seem to text us about everything else.

Is it confirmed they are related though?

Edited by Bangarang

Guys, not sure if many of you can read, but his actual role with the Bills has nothing to do with football. So no, it doesn't matter if he has a sports background. But that said, he did major in sports management, so yes, he did do something with professional franchises in his career.

his position is a business position and being a lawyer he's likely someone that will handle internal legal affairs for the company. The Bills aren't simply a 'team' they are a company that is worth $800million. And every $800million has general counsels (or lawyers) on retainer.

Relax, put down the pitchforks. his experiences is more than satisfactory for what he'll be doing for the Bills company, as he has already worked with other multi-million dollar companies.

And if nepotism was the reason, why didn't Russ bring him in years ago when Russ was CEO? C'mon kids, grow up ...

plus 1

That's what I thought when I read his bio--absolutely zero relevant experience.....

Except for the fact that he's vice president and general counsel of a company, which would seem relevant for a vice president and general counsel job...

Maybe because he now has total control of the organization?

Gregg Brandon is an IP (intellectual property) attorney as per his bio. Unless the Bills plan on suing folks for trademark infringement or their business mainly consists of IP licensing deals, he has little to no relevant experience to be the Bills' general counsel (his new position). I'd expect such a position to be held by an attorney with labor law, commercial/contract law and perhaps litigation management experience. He has none of the above. Pretty easy to see why he was hired, however.

Here's a good article on the phenomenon:

http://dealbook.nyti...-scandal/?_r=1

Like many articles these days, the comments are better than the article. A defense of nepotism by Andrew Ross Sorkin (some may know him from CNBC) is hardly surprising, however, considering that his father is a partner at one of NYC's most profitable firms and has probably earned an average of $2-3m a year for the last 30 years, putting him squarely in the top 1/10th of 1% in the parlance of the day. Funny, too, that dad's page on said law firm's website lists the NY Times (where sonny works) antitrust case as one of his biggest cases. Also funny that ARS's mother-in-law is an editor at a major women's magazine, while her daughter (ARS's wife) is a literary agent. See how all this works? I learned all of this from a 3 minute set of Google searches. Ain't technology amazing.....

Except for the fact that he's vice president and general counsel of a company, which would seem relevant for a vice president and general counsel job...

I'm the general counsel and SVP of a subsidiary of a large company, yet based on my experience I'd in no way be qualified to be the Bills' general counsel. Not how the law works. There are practice specialties that one works for years in before being able to actually "do" anything, particularly of that size. I wish him well and luck, since he's part of our team, but believe me, there are many other people who are better qualified for that position....

Edited by MattM

Thanks mom,

Russ & Gregg

Is there any confirmation that they are related?

Yes--they're brothers. Here's the Buffalo News article on it--it's towards the bottom:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/bills-notebook-marrone-expects-byrd-to-make-smooth-transition-20130821

I take part of what I said above back--looks like his current company handles sports teams' websites, so if the Bills are having legal problems with their website, he's their man!

In the corporate world everyone is a VP. The guy probably takes out the garbage or something

I usually ignore posts like this but this time I'm saying something. I really hate post like this. Why can't you just give your opinion and save all the "not sure if any of you can read" BS? There were 5 comments prior to your post and you start saying things about "putting down the pitchforks". Then after your ridiculous lecture you're going to say C'mon kids, grow up. You actually had some very good points in your post and could have actually been taken seriously. Totally uncalled for and frankly boring.

Do some research on his former company (XOS digital)... They are on the cutting edge of all kinds of sports technology.... Russ had the power to hire years ago.... Say hello to the head of our new technology and analytics dept

Do some research on his former company (XOS digital)... They are on the cutting edge of all kinds of sports technology.... Russ had the power to hire years ago.... Say hello to the head of our new technology and analytics dept

No, he was hired to be the general counsel.

Wonder if this affects Littman's role? Littman had a Treasurer and/or CFO title in the organization if I recall correctly, but he's a lawyer. Wasn't Littman second only to Ralph on the Bills organization chart before Russ Brandon was promoted? I have a vague recollection of seeing that somewhere (maybe in the Bills media packet, or on company letterhead?). Not sure if that changed after Russ Brandon was promoted.

If Littman is being pushed aside, I wonder if a healthy (lucid?) Ralph would allow that to happen? Makes me wonder about Ralph's health, although I haven't tried to research Littman's age, so it might simply be that Littman wants to step away or reduce his role, or harbored resentment at Russ Brandon being promoted to CEO if Littman wanted the job title.

All speculation on my part, but when Ralph's top aide for years was lawyer Littman, who maybe got passed over for the CEO job, and now the CEO brings in his lawyer brother, it makes me wonder about possible in-fighting as Ralph fades further from the scene.

Or maybe Littman's role hasn't changed at all - - aren't we still under the cap?

Wonder if this affects Littman's role? Littman had a Treasurer and/or CFO title in the organization if I recall correctly, but he's a lawyer. Wasn't Littman second only to Ralph on the Bills organization chart before Russ Brandon was promoted? I have a vague recollection of seeing that somewhere (maybe in the Bills media packet, or on company letterhead?). Not sure if that changed after Russ Brandon was promoted.

If Littman is being pushed aside, I wonder if a healthy (lucid?) Ralph would allow that to happen? Makes me wonder about Ralph's health, although I haven't tried to research Littman's age, so it might simply be that Littman wants to step away or reduce his role, or harbored resentment at Russ Brandon being promoted to CEO if Littman wanted the job title.

All speculation on my part, but when Ralph's top aide for years was lawyer Littman, who maybe got passed over for the CEO job, and now the CEO brings in his lawyer brother, it makes me wonder about possible in-fighting as Ralph fades further from the scene.

Or maybe Littman's role hasn't changed at all - - aren't we still under the cap?

I thought the same thing--this move shows that Russ is fully in charge now and doesn't care/worry about the Wilson family looking askance at this hiring of his brother.

Thanks, too, for the link to Gregg's LI profile. I feel slightly better about the hire (other than my general on principal (earned by working at companies where it happened waaayyy too often to the company's detriment) distaste at hiring a relative) after reading that in that he does seem to have some more "general" corporate-type experience at his last job.

That said, I still believe that if the job opening was subject to an open, transparent, "blind" (i.e., resumes with identifying characteristics scrubbed off) process, it's borderline whether Gregg would have even made the cut for an initial interview. Jobs like this are amazingly competitive to get and would in most cases go to someone like a law firm partner in one of the major disciplines (like labor or corporate here) or someone with direct, relevant experience in a franchise or League legal dept. Just my two cents. That said, I wish Gregg well in the new role and I hope he can add some value to the team.....

I wish him well and luck, since he's part of our team, but believe me, there are many other people who are better qualified for that position....

I dunno, he might be a good fit. A guy who obtained a trademark registration for a cat litter product might be just what an organization that hasn't made the playoffs in this millenium needs:

http://www.trademark...b-78756485.html

Think of the additional revenues if the Bills put a Sani-Sorb logo on their uniforms.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead