EJ not ruled out for wk 1, Tuel competing for starting spot

Just to play Devil's advocate, I think Kolb needs another game to determine who is No. 1 and who is No. 2. He's only played one game. And he's had SOME success, including taking the Cards to 4-0.

And he was injured. Also, frankly, Kolb has gotten the **** kicked out of him from playing behind HORRIBLE lines in Philly and Arizona. The happy feet might be mental from that, although obviously he will have to correct it ASAP. Manuel does not have that baggage.

Just a note. I also think Ej will be starting, deservingly, the first week he is healthy, which I hope is Week 1.

F'ed up? Yes this is, but weirdly I agree with all of it

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both are great signs and tell me the procedure was truly minor, and likely just a joint aspiration.

A joint aspiration?

With who? Da'Rick?

Either way, the arguments are dumber than a box of rocks.

Hey, hey, hey!

Rocks are people, oh. Never mind.

Anyone else watching the Giants game tongiht to take a look a nassib?

Can't you see we're having a pointless circular conversation here?!?!?!?

Seriously. Let's see how the distribution of first team reps breaks down between Kolb and Tuel.

That will tell us whether there's a real competition going on.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9412923/dwyane-wade-miami-heat-needed-knee-drained-play-game-7-finals

I imagine EJ Manuel will be ready to play week one vs the Pats. Whether the coaches decide to play him or not will be a measure of how much they trust him to be able to do well do considering the lost time in preseason, and their level of risk aversion. Assuming he gets a full blessing from the medical staff, I hope he starts. He gives us the best chance to win.

EJ is already back at training camp, but he's not participating obviously. And I heard he doesn't need crutches. Both are great signs and tell me the procedure was truly minor, and likely just a joint aspiration.

Very, very, very minor tear in the knee. Actually had surgery, 3 week turnaround with a week 1 return as the target date. Nothing really earth-shattering w/ this news. Don't shoot the messenger.

Edited by stony

The actual quote from Marrone is this:

"At the end of the day, do I really want to say he’s in competition with that? Obviously I do because I want all of our players, not just Jeff, to understand that no matter where they may stand on the depth chart, they’re fighting for the position to be a starter. I don’t want our players to think Hey I’m fighting for this position, hes the starter, maybe I could be number two or three. My mind says once the player has limited himself to that he’s not going to develop as far as he can. So to answer your question now, yes I want him to compete to be the starting quarterback, that’s what is going to make him the best and then we’ll evaluate if it’s good enough for us to win with and where he ranks among that position, not just at the quarterback position, but also the roster."

Super difficult not to like a guy when he says stuff like this. Very,very impressive.

Very, very, very minor tear in the knee. Actually had surgery, 3 week turnaround with a week 1 return as the target date. Nothing really earth-shattering w/ this news. Don't shoot the messenger.

After I wrote about it probablyjust being a joint aspiration, I thought "well, what's causing the swelling?" A tiny tear would explain it and the lack of a need for crutches, and that's still a good sign. Let's hope he's ready for week 1 both physically and mentally.

After I wrote about it probablyjust being a joint aspiration, I thought "well, what's causing the swelling?" A tiny tear would explain it and the lack of a need for crutches, and that's still a good sign. Let's hope he's ready for week 1 both physically and mentally.

Btw, thanx. Good to have a real doc on board to reduce speculation and provide medical insight.

That QB didn't beat the Pats last year. That QBs defense did.

PTR

Maybe Tuel is in the hunt to start the Lions game?

PTR

I am wondering if it is prudent for Tuel to be the starter for the Skins game. Kolb started the last one.

I am torn on this one because game 3 is supposed to be the biggest preseason game. That works for the Bills as well as for the Skins. Based on history (albeit in a different offense) , TC and the Vikes game, coaches have more material on Kolb than on Tuel. If Tuel starts the last preseason, it wont provide much information because the Lions may not play the starters and we wont know anything about Tuel's abilities.

The coaches see these guys in camp everyday and can obviously diagnose the situation more than we fans can. But, if camp performance is close for Kolb and Tuel, I vote for Tuel to start vs the Skins.

Watdya think ?

Kolb gets game 3 to show he deserves to start the season, should EJ not be back. If he struggles again, Tuel gets the start. Time is getting tight.

Doc, I was at camp today and Kolb is pitiful. Tuel looked much better. Unless Kolb does a remarkable turnaround, he looks like #3.

That's what I want to know. Will he start in one of the last two games of the preseason?

If marrones is as much of a straight shooter, like he has proclaimed to the media, than he should start tuel against the skins and let him get his chance against the ones.

Lets face it this is a competition for the back up this point. Roster positions are valuable and I think we have seen plenty of kolb against the starters.

The problem I had with marrones flip flop starters the first two weeks is this:

He admitted ej was very good (starting caliber I presume). Yet he failed to realize his loyalty to the competition comprimised his first round draft pick by playing him with the second string offensive line (I believe he was hurt on his last play, the jailbreak sack)

If he looks that bad, cut him. What's the point?

At #3, he can be inactive - at least he knows the playbook. :lol: Is there there another #3 QB you see as a viable alternative to Kolb? That is an honest question; I respect your feedback.

That is assuming Tuel can really be #2, of course.

Edited by rockpile

"I want him (Jeff) to compete to be the starting quarterback" - Doug Marrone

If he is lying, that's on him, not me.

Yes I did.

I read that.

Coach Speak is what your labeling it. Doug himself says he is a straight shooter.

Totally butchering the quote and misrepresenting it to say what you want it to more definitively than it really did is why you have repeatedly been flamed for what you describe as innocently discussing your opinions. You lifted one line out of context, which came with a nice chunk of relevant context that would've been just as easy to select when doing your copy paste.

At #3, he can be inactive - at least he knows the playbook. :lol: Is there there another #3 QB you see as a viable alternative to Kolb? That is an honest question; I respect your feedback.

That's why ya have to start tuel to find out.

When Manuel is healthy keep the better of tuel and kolb and cut the loser.

Get brad smith handing it off, running slants and read options in case things go..aw junk.

I've said all along that if you're down to your 3rd/emergency QB in a game, a guy who has taken the fewest reps of any QB that preceeding week, you're in trouble and likely to lose anyway. Cut him, carry just 2 QB's, and if both EJ and Tuel go down in a game, just have any player handoff the ball and then call Kolb the minute the game is over.

There was recently ANOTHER poster who used A LOT OF CAPS and liked to write in a DEROGATORY manner. I think he got BANNED. but it looks like he might be BACK. yay.

BUT he didn't use the GOD word like that or admit to smoking weed so I guess there is that. When these ppl show up I just put them on the list (unless they are mildly entertaining), they usually disappear not that long after.

I doubt Tuel will get the start but he may get some time with the 1s (on Saturday, maybe 3rd quarter). I just don't see Marrone thinking he is that much better than Kolb. I think he wants very much to develop him and he isn't going to throw him in to a tub of sharks and damage the goods. I pretty much think that, that makes some sense. I have liked the way he has handled this situation so far, he seems to have a good head on his shoulders.

This does cause NE* some headaches (looking at it from the glass half full side). I wouldn't bother naming a starter that week leading up to the game, just to eff with them, so they do have to prepare for whoever. I do hope EJ starts unless there is some doubt he is 100% healed. We don't want an injury to keep him out more later on. Also if Kolb is getting his butt handed to him at the NE* game, Tuel could be sent in. Not out of the realm of possibility IMO.

Yes I did.

I read that.

Coach Speak is what your labeling it. Doug himself says he is a straight shooter.

A few people have responded to your post already. I'll let you read them as my response would be very similar.

I suspect Tuel is on the chart to play game 4 as there is no sense on risking Kolb to injury when we aren't certain Manuel will be ready for the Pats game. So Kolb gets his showcase moment against the Skins and we can be hopeful that Manuel will get enough practice in to play in game 1. This is unfortunate, but not a major setback for anyone.