SU Hoops 2013-2014 edition...

bills44

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people are too quick to dismiss wichita st..this may fly in the face of my florida face, but wichita state is a final 4 team from last year and followed that up with an undefeated regular season(plus some)....that's not by accident...i know NOTHING about Wichita St. but you can't ignore them...look what happened when people ignored gonzaga...march madness is gonna be an incredible 2-3-4 weeks

+1

Down year.

I don't think Florida will get to the final 4. I actually think Wichita state is the team to beat.

people are too quick to dismiss wichita st..this may fly in the face of my florida face, but wichita state is a final 4 team from last year and followed that up with an undefeated regular season(plus some)....that's not by accident...i know NOTHING about Wichita St. but you can't ignore them...look what happened when people ignored gonzaga...march madness is gonna be an incredible 2-3-4 weeks

I saw Wichita state play more last year and they were absurdly solid. Seems like they have the same team and are tournament tested.

I have always had a high view of that program too, ever since they came to cuse and beat us in the dome about 7-8 years ago.

Might not be popular, but I might pick them to win it all in my brackets.

i was at my local pub watching the end of st johns marquette with some Nova fans waiting for the Nova game to come on and i looked at them and said, 'i miss big east refs....they let teams play, especially at the end of games'...they knew exactly what i was talking about and nodded in agreement

To the streak ! Let's go heels. Keep this streak going all the way to the end!

Watch for the duke flops and home calls. You will see jim boeheim was right.

If Grant is 100%, I hope he plays today. If he is 99% or less, I hope they sit him. I guess Roberson is going to start again if Grant can't go, so I hope he doesn't look as nervous and hesitant as he did against GT.

A win today would be big for seeding with all the top teams losing recently. I also just think it would be great for them to break out of the slump and get some confidence back. I believe we are locked into the 2 seed in the ACC tourney regardless of what happens today, is this correct?

If Grant is 100%, I hope he plays today. If he is 99% or less, I hope they sit him. I guess Roberson is going to start again if Grant can't go, so I hope he doesn't look as nervous and hesitant as he did against GT.

A win today would be big for seeding with all the top teams losing recently. I also just think it would be great for them to break out of the slump and get some confidence back. I believe we are locked into the 2 seed in the ACC tourney regardless of what happens today, is this correct?

Yes this is correct. I wouldn't play grant and would try to get fair and cooney as much rest as possible results be damned. Having them fresh for the acc and ncaa tourney would matter much more. Beating fsu in the process would be nice but getting rest and healthy would be my top priority.

Good win... forget everything I said above lol. It was nice to see them finally respond to the other teams run. Miami closed it to 1 and then I believe they went on an 18-2 to seal it. Grant is such a huge difference maker for this team. He gives them that 3rd offensive answer and is by far our most complete big man. I think everyone can step back from the ledge now. If they can make the ACC final I think that a 2 seed is certainly attainable. Looks like if everything goes chalk we will have another Duke Cuse game.

Good win... forget everything I said above lol. It was nice to see them finally respond to the other teams run. Miami closed it to 1 and then I believe they went on an 18-2 to seal it. Grant is such a huge difference maker for this team. He gives them that 3rd offensive answer and is by far our most complete big man. I think everyone can step back from the ledge now. If they can make the ACC final I think that a 2 seed is certainly attainable. Looks like if everything goes chalk we will have another Duke Cuse game.

If we win the ACC tourney I think we could still be in line for a 1 seed. At this point, I'd almost rather have a 2 seed. I believe it would be Villanova getting the 1 seed in the East and we'd get the 2 in the East. That, IMO, would be the weakest 1 seed to be matched up against.

We really need cooney to step up...without him acting like GMAC or devo we don't go anywhere

IMO, this was the difference today. The game turned when Cooney got aggressive and started feeling it. He hit those two 3's and it was over.

Now, if we can get him to play like that for more than 5 minutes-- and say, hit 35-40% from 3-- we will be running on all cylinders.

If we win the ACC tourney I think we could still be in line for a 1 seed. At this point, I'd almost rather have a 2 seed. I believe it would be Villanova getting the 1 seed in the East and we'd get the 2 in the East. That, IMO, would be the weakest 1 seed to be matched up against.

I agree completely and would say if they win they would definitely get a 1 seed. I would prefer a 1 seed but as long as they go Buffalo MSG I don't really care what seed they are. I would love to see them win the ACC tournament but that would be a tall order with their short bench. However since they don't play until Friday they will have only played 1 game in 10 days by the time the game rolls around. Hopefully that is enough time for them to get their legs back, Keita's knee to recover more, and Grant to feel better.

I was totally all-in on caring about MSG because our margin for error is so thin & we need every little edge we can get.

But man, the reg. season is over now & there isn't much evidence that this team plays better at home (same # of losses, more close calls, didn't play significantly better vs any of the 4 duplicate opponents). We're a weak charge from going 3-1 @Duke/Maryland/UVA/FSU which I think is the best anybody would ever do. So whatever, I'm not going to worry about it. I'd like to avoid a 7seed like VCU in the 2nd round, which the syracuse.com bracket has now.

However, Duke on Saturday could be the 2nd biggest conf. semi's game we've ever had just 'cause it'd be great to beat those clowns 2 out of 3 in our 1st year - behind only G'town last yr who we could not lose to 3x in our last year in the BE.

Ironically this win today sets up arguably a tougher quarterfinal game on Friday (likely NC St instead of Clemson). But nice to see them play a long overdue good game.

I saw Wichita state play more last year and they were absurdly solid. Seems like they have the same team and are tournament tested.

I have always had a high view of that program too, ever since they came to cuse and beat us in the dome about 7-8 years ago.

Might not be popular, but I might pick them to win it all in my brackets.

Picking a team that's almost as good as everyone else that nobody else will pick is definitely a good strategy, especially for larger pools.

I'm guessing your typical distribution in most office pools will be something like 35% Fla, 25% Kansas, 20% Arizona, 10% Michigan St/Duke and a 10% sprinkling of Witchita/Cuse/Michigan/Wisconsin.

I think I'm going to roll with Louisville. 2nd in kenpom, good on both ends of the floor, good road wins lately vs Cincy & SMU, nobody else is going to pick them.

The only other teams w/ a top 15 efficiency on both ends of the floor are Florida, Witchita & Nova.

Duke, Creighton & Michigan don't guard anyone. Arizona & Cuse can obviously have problems scoring.

Picking a team that's almost as good as everyone else that nobody else will pick is definitely a good strategy, especially for larger pools.

I'm guessing your typical distribution in most office pools will be something like 35% Fla, 25% Kansas, 20% Arizona, 10% Michigan St/Duke and a 10% sprinkling of Witchita/Cuse/Michigan/Wisconsin.

I think I'm going to roll with Louisville. 2nd in kenpom, good on both ends of the floor, good road wins lately vs Cincy & SMU, nobody else is going to pick them.

The only other teams w/ a top 15 efficiency on both ends of the floor are Florida, Witchita & Nova.

Duke, Creighton & Michigan don't guard anyone. Arizona & Cuse can obviously have problems scoring.

In CNY it will be about 30% picking Cuse at least. All of the people who fill out brackets but don't pay attention will pick them. I agree about your strategy and will also be picking Wichita St to win in at least one of my brackets.

This team will live and die by Cooney, I'm afraid. Was good to see him hit a couple big ones today...get his adrenaline pumping a little. I am concerned about CJ Fair having to carry too much of the weight on offense.

My exact thoughts... Hopefully cooney gets hot at the right time

I agree completely and would say if they win they would definitely get a 1 seed. I would prefer a 1 seed but as long as they go Buffalo MSG I don't really care what seed they are. I would love to see them win the ACC tournament but that would be a tall order with their short bench. However since they don't play until Friday they will have only played 1 game in 10 days by the time the game rolls around. Hopefully that is enough time for them to get their legs back, Keita's knee to recover more, and Grant to feel better.

CBS Sports currently has them projected as the top #2 seed in a region with Villanova at 1, Louisville at 3 and Michigan State at 4.

ESPN hasn't updated since 3/6 so I won't bother posting it. still has Kansas as a 1

CBS Sports currently has them projected as the top #2 seed in a region with Villanova at 1, Louisville at 3 and Michigan State at 4.

ESPN hasn't updated since 3/6 so I won't bother posting it. still has Kansas as a 1

Louisville is about as bad of a matchup as we could get in the tourney. I would hate to be in the same region as them.

Louisville is about as bad of a matchup as we could get in the tourney. I would hate to be in the same region as them.

And you never count Tom Izzo's teams out in the tourney either. Not favorable, that's for sure.

he takes a lot of abuse from fans for having horrible hands, but look at how he has grown as a player over the years, no one works harder out there and he is a beast in the zone. I have heard he is also a good student as well. Congrats to him, he has made himself a big part of SU Basketball lore.

Last night at the Hardwood Club dinner, Syracuse named the first ever individual award after Baye Keita. Basically an award for being a good person, student, and teammate. Tremendous honor and well deserved. Even more impressive that they named it after a current player.

It's my understanding that the award was just introduced. No one actually won it yet. Could be wrong though...

Yeah, I was just kidding. I think it would be funny if they gave the first Baye Keita award to somebody else!

Don't care too much but I'll take NIT St. They don't try as hard to bring the game to a snail's pace, Warren's all they got, they can't shoot 3's, and based on the spread today (and kenpom) Miami is actually a hair better.

Plus it'd be pretty sweet to run thru an all Tobacco Road gauntlet to the title on their turf.

Plus it'd be pretty sweet to run thru an all Tobacco Road gauntlet to the title on their turf.

Dream on. ACC roots are North Carolina and Virginia. You Yankee boys ain't gonna run through anything!

Tar----heels Tar-----heeels

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Dream on. ACC roots are North Carolina and Virginia. You Yankee boys ain't gonna run through anything!

Tar----heels Tar-----heeels

You better hope UNC doesn't't have to play the Cuse if they make it to the finals. Here's how it will go down. Cooney hits three quick three pointers to start the game and BOOM... Some weirdo comes over the loudspeaker and screams, "He's on fire!" and then Cooney bursts into flames and starts hitting half court shots that singe the nets and doing super somersault front flip dunks. Game over

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall