TE Depth a problem?

Surprisingly I havent heard a lot of banter about the TE situation. If Chandler and Smith can stay healthy I think we'll be OK. Chandler being a solid possession receiver and Lee being a good blocker.

It'd be nice to have one that could do both VERY well to keep the defenses guessing but I guess you cant have everything !!!

To answer your question, yea, I think TE end depth may be an issue for our team. Hope I'm wrong on that.

Surprisingly I havent heard a lot of banter about the TE situation. If Chandler and Smith can stay healthy I think we'll be OK. Chandler being a solid possession receiver and Lee being a good blocker.

It'd be nice to have one that could do both VERY well to keep the defenses guessing but I guess you cant have everything !!!

To answer your question, yea, I think TE end depth may be an issue for our team. Hope I'm wrong on that.

Sure, I just think they have enough skill on offense to work around the issue if there are injuries.

Does this guy live in Miami too?

I guess its a good thing when this is the only preseason criticism out there.

Glasses pretty rose colored currently? No shame in that, just not sure I agree on it being the only issue.

Do teams ever have much depth @ TE?

I think if Chandler is healthy and gragg makes it as a prospect we are fine. Lee can do the dirty work.

I know its been awhile since we've been one, but yea, teams do.

Glasses pretty rose colored currently? No shame in that, just not sure I agree on it being the only issue.

No. Big dumby. Lavender glasses. I'm going to ride this thing until the wheels fall off. I was at the gym, I use the forum to piss my GF off because I'll multitask on the elitipcal.

To give a longer and better detailed thought:

I really like the development of Chris Gragg. He has a lot of athleticism for a big guy. I thought he would be a dark horse and be outmatched by Dickerson. Dickerson has become the odd man out because Gragg is just that much stronger and more physical. Lee Smith is getting better and better at some pace or another. Flashes of brilliance have shown in this dude for a year now but he has always been said to make bone headed mistakes. Overall, Chandler is developing in to the grandfather of this position and a guy who will be hard to beat out for a season or two.

I like our developing depth because I can look a year or two down the line and see Chandler in his twilight, Smith or Gragg still coming in at spot duty with a young rookie getting good reps.

Our TE depth isn't "sexy" per se, but to me it's a quiet strength. A healthy Chandler is a threat in the pass game, Smith is a great blocker and has proven useful in goal line passing, Gragg is a great prospect and I like Dickerson.

I don't want to jinx him, but Gragg reminds me of Shawn Nelson. I'm just so eager for the Bills to actually draft a TE with talent. I hope he makes it.

I agree with everything Big C posted above. Chandler, Smith and Gragg all bring somthing different to the team and a nice TE core.

I like Dickerson too, but think he may be the odd man out. Or, they keep 5 WRs, no FB and he just makes the cut. But, from the very little I've seen, it looks like Summers is bringing more to the team.

Outside of pre this season New England and maybe Philly and the Ravens, how many teams really have deep TE depth? If Jason Witten, Kyle Rudolph, or Tony Gonzalez go down, the next guy up is not going to be able to do anywhere near what the injured starter could do. There are only a handful of teams that have two TE's close to the same talent level.

Any time we have a depth discussion, it sometimes feels like people think we should have 3 all pros at every position.

No. Big dumby. Lavender glasses. I'm going to ride this thing until the wheels fall off. I was at the gym, I use the forum to piss my GF off because I'll multitask on the elitipcal.

To give a longer and better detailed thought:

I really like the development of Chris Gragg. He has a lot of athleticism for a big guy. I thought he would be a dark horse and be outmatched by Dickerson. Dickerson has become the odd man out because Gragg is just that much stronger and more physical.

I hope you are correct but what are you basing this on? Height/weight stats or actual play on the field? Is there a specific play or plays you saw that lead you to this conclusion?

When I read that article I got the impression that this dude has never seen the Bills play. "Continue to LEAN on Lee Smith..." We have never LEANED on Smith. He is a Chandler's back-up. Dickerson is not a converted WR he is an athlete with no real position. He is a WR/TE/H-Back, I guess. Losing Caussin is really not a surprise. I think it was very unlikely that he would have earned a roster spot this preseason. He would have had to take down Gragg and Dickerson. In my opinion this is another hack ESPN writer who read a local headline and then some stats from 2012's season and put it into words. His article makes it obvious that he is slacking on the job. As we always say around here..."Do these guys even watch the teams they cover?"

Outside of pre this season New England and maybe Philly and the Ravens, how many teams really have deep TE depth? If Jason Witten, Kyle Rudolph, or Tony Gonzalez go down, the next guy up is not going to be able to do anywhere near what the injured starter could do. There are only a handful of teams that have two TE's close to the same talent level.

Any time we have a depth discussion, it sometimes feels like people think we should have 3 all pros at every position.

no, but i think its fair to say a 7th round rookie and a Lee smiths 8 catches arent exactly strong depth.

you dont need a probowl backup, but theres some nice depth around the league. Rudolph has john carlson as a backup. Cook and Kendricks in St louis come to mind, ben watson might be a nice number 2 for jimmy graham in new orleans, last year davis and walker were a good pairing. Eiffert and Gresham in Cincinatti. backup tight ends arent really my specialty, and those all come to mind quickly.

we have a middle of the pack starter coming off an ACL tear, lee smith, and a 7th round rookie in gragg. while it may pan out alright, i wouldnt call it strong around the league either.

Edited by NoSaint

I don't want to jinx him, but Gragg reminds me of Shawn Nelson. I'm just so eager for the Bills to actually draft a TE with talent. I hope he makes it.

I agree with everything Big C posted above. Chandler, Smith and Gragg all bring somthing different to the team and a nice TE core.

I like Dickerson too, but think he may be the odd man out. Or, they keep 5 WRs, no FB and he just makes the cut. But, from the very little I've seen, it looks like Summers is bringing more to the team.

Agree with Big C and MattKC. Smith is showing that he can catch the ball, a skill that Gailey didn't utilize. Chandler looks 90% now, and Gragg can catch the ball as long as he can reach it (some passes to Gragg were off in camp). Dickerson was made a WR, and ironically, that and Summers will likely cause his waiver.

After Vikes game, I'll do a Positional Needs post and get some voting done for DraftTek. I suspect TE will be a P3 or P4.

After Vikes game, I'll do a Positional Needs post and get some voting done for DraftTek. I suspect TE will be a P3 or P4.

Guessing we see OL, CB, TE, RB (freddy wont last forever) as the easy ones to agree on -- with of course wildcards at OLB, WR2, and QB depending on how the season goes.... though qb likely gets 2 years no matter what.... and i wont get into safety debates.

Another out of touch "sports journalist." He finds it "surprising" the Bills didn't bring in a TE in the off season, then later on notes Gragg was drafted. He seems to think Smith is the top TE. He then gives his opinion that Chandler is "an emerging threat." As if he discovered him lurking on the roster.

Don't you need to know how the offense plans to use the tight end before deciding what depth you need there?

Has Hackett given us any reason to believe he favors a 2 TE set package as a key to the offense?

Sadly it really does look like a case of the homework being due so He had to turn in something!

I think we have fairly average depth at the position. Chandler, Smith and Cragg, and even throw in Dickerson. None of them are world beaters, but I don't think any of them are scrubs, either.

Maybe I've been a Bills fan for too long, but isn't that generally how most teams are? TE that is "big", not WR fast, but can block and has reliable hands (Chandler), depth guy who is a good blocker for heavy sets (Smith), and then "others"? Or is the new "norm" to expect every team to have a Gronk/Hernandez type of situation?

Edited by Dorkington

I think we have fairly average depth at the position. Chandler, Smith and Cragg, and even throw in Dickerson. None of them are world beaters, but I don't think any of them are scrubs, either.

Maybe I've been a Bills fan for too long, but isn't that generally how most teams are? TE that is "big", not WR fast, but can block and has reliable hands (Chandler), depth guy who is a good blocker for heavy sets (Smith), and then "others"? Or is the new "norm" to expect every team to have a Gronk/Hernandez type of situation?

I hope not. That would work out to 32 total killings.

Agreed.

i dont think everyone should expect we have the #1 pairing in the league, just like you dont expect everyone to trot tom brady on the field to be considered average at QB.

While i dont think itll be a major issue, i also would have a hard time finding a way to make our depth worse when i really focus on it... if we settled for a pair of UDFA backups? they may overachieve, but i dont think its a strength as someone up thread implied. it may even be a stretch to call the position group as a whole league average even if chandler is 100%

Dickerson was made a WR, and ironically, that and Summers will likely cause his waiver.

True he was made a WR but he wasn't comfortable with the move and asked the coaching staff to move him back to TE and they obliged him.

It'll be a battle for Dickerson to make the team at TE but he had zero chance as a WR so good for him knowing what was best for his chances and exerting some influence over his career.