Astro-Notes: Aug 13 Practice

Astrobot

It's a ball-me 72 degrees, and the bleachers are wet from the rain last night. Muggy. I'm back in the saddle after asthma symptoms took me out. Thanks to all for your thoughts and messages.

I sweep the water before sitting down and look around me. I'm sitting right in front of Chris Brown and Mark Ludzwiak (sp). Asked about Donnie Henderson's whistling from the sidelines:

TCBILLS_Astro

Sat in front of @ChrisBrownBills at #BillsCamp and asked if DB Coach Henderson's 3-4 quick whistles was a signal--no. just getting attention

It's a break and Stevie, Graham, and Sinkfield are chatting it up on the sidelines. Stevie seems pretty inclusive. Later on, Stevie's tossing the football around with Graham and Brad Smith. Woods is on one knee as is Sinkfield.

After some punt practice (which Powell won on distance, Stahovich won on consistency--now think it's Powell's position to lose), 7 on 7 begins and Kolb's first up. He's throwing under-routes to Freddy and Tashard Choice. Choice misses one he shouldv'e had. Donnie Henderson is chewing out Umamba for not using the sideline to steer the WR toward. Henderson later chews out Searcy for the same thing.

EJ's up on 7 on 7, and he throws too high to Chris Gragg and he's unable to catch it. Chris Brown said, "That's on both of them, I think."

Tuel throws deep to Brandon Kaufman right on the money and it's a nice catch, likely in the 30-yard range. Tuel throws an under route to Choice, who catches this one for +15. Tuel takes off running on the next one.

EJ throws an under route to Zach Brown, then to Woods for a nice 15 yard gain.

Kolb puts it right where it had to be to Scott Chandler and away from the defender. Kolb comes right back to Chandler on a drag route. If Kolb's the starter, put Chandler on your fantasy team.

Tuel takes off on a QB keeper (EJ's better than Jeff, but they're both pretty quick), then on the next play Tuel overthrows DeMarco Sampson by a step and a half. Goodwin gets that one for a TD.

Period 11 is 11 on 11 (the first string line is in, with Cordy, ColinBrown, Wood, Urbik, Pears) and Tuel is up first. In part due to Carrington's pressure, Kyle Williams gets in on Tuel and they force a QBH. Tuel unleashes a 25 yarder in the air to Goodwin and I want me a Flash Goodwin jersey.

Kolb throws an out to Fred Jackson, does his QB keeper play, Kolb throws to Drew Smith who drops it and I hear disgust from Chris Brown and Ludzwiak. I can tell they don't like Drew Smith either. Pough sacks Kolb on his last play. CB says that Kolb looks better than Monday's practice; I'll take his word for it. So far, things just aren't going Kolb's way.

EJ's up and he's decisive about his reads, throwing the out on the right flat to CJ. A handoff up the middle goes nowhere; we are seeing stout DT play (BTW, Troup's in) in combination with he inability of our inside Guards to be road graders. This will be evident later in practice on 3rd-and-1 drills and goal-to-go drills, where 4 attempts will net 3 yards--even with Frank Summers, who is cut like a fire hydrant with guns. Hope somebody took Summers' picture at the end of practice because Summers took his jersey off and makes Bradham look like Olive Oyl. EJ connects with Hogan, who Hackett says is 7-11 because he's "always open". EJ also connects with DeMarco Sampson for a sweet 20-yard gainer. He's this year's Practice Squad gem. I count the seconds for three plays; they go off at 15 seconds apiece. I make that observation to Chris Brown. I'm sure he was jealous or wants to hire me and can't find the words.

Period 12 is a break, and it's clouding over. Period 13 is punting again. Powell's punts from his own 40 land on the 5 and bound in (Goodwin unable to get it), into the end zone too fast, landing on the 2 (Da'Rick Rogers keeps it in play, and Ron Brooks makes a similar play on the next one. The last one is fair-caught by McKelvin at his 11.

Period 14 is more 11-on-11, and EJ is up first. He throws a nice one to the sidelines to Marquise, and Rolle makes the stop. Now it's the Chris "7-11" Hogan show. EJ throws him a rope for 20+ yards, then Hogan goes over the middle on a T-in from the left wideout spot, then Hogan lines up behind Kaufman, and the defense thinks they're ready, cheating over to that left side. EJ looks their way, looks right, but keeps it and goes right for 10-15 yards. Chris Brown said, "That was his 3rd read! That was his 3rd read!"

Kolb is in, and he delivers a long-distance "don't count me out yet" pass to Da'Rick from 30 yard line to the other. We'll make that our Play of the Day. Freddy runs off LG for not much. Jordan Dangerfield can't get any respect; he's yelled at by Donnie Henderson about where he's lined up. Jumal Rolle tackles DeMarco Sampson for very little YAC. Kolb overthrows DeMarco on the next play but there's a flag on the OL. Kolb is consistently inconsistent.

Tuel's chance, but setting up takes too long and there's another flag on the offense, this one for delay of game--the first one all summer. Tuel throws to Woods over the middle but the best pass break-up of the day is put in by Ron Brooks getting his arm in there. Brooks then waves to Woods, like, "Welcome to the NFL, rook". The second-biggest scare of the day was right here, when Goodwin hobbles off the field almost like a sprained ankle, and lies down, but 3 minutes later he's up standing on the sidelines, fine. The other great play of the day was Marcus Easley and Bryan Scott both going up for a jump ball, with Easley catching it, Scott taking it, and Easley wrestling it back as he comes down hard on his back. Neither are hurt, except maybe Scott's pride. Tuel then hits Gragg on a "slant-in, catch, and go vertical" pattern that will be our bread and butter this year. Aaron Williams blitzes on the next 2 plays. On the first, Tuel is hurried, and Searcy makes a nice play on the ball. On the second blitz, Mario and Moats meet at the QB, and Aaron comes to the sidelines and lies down. Trainer works on him for quite a while. (hamstring, maybe?) http://www.wham1180.com/photos/buffalo-bills/buffalo-bills-training-camp-813-363370/21376122/#/8/21376351

Period 15 is 3rd and 1 drill. Frank Summers tries 4 times to gain the one yard and it's a sea of blue. Kyle Williams moved his man the most (likely a LG, likely Colin Brown). Caldwell looks like he's limping after one of those, so it could have been him, too. We look stout on defense.

Period 16 is first and goal from the 3. EJ is in, and Searcy trips Thomas Welch, and Welch goes off limping. Not sure, but I think he was tackle-eligible, and Searcy was caught out of position. CJ gets the handoff, fakes into the middle and bounces it outside for the TD. On the third opportunity from the 3, both Drew Smith and Frank Summers were in there, and they had trouble. I'm not sure Summers will make the 53, but Drew Smith won't.

Edited by Astrobot

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Period 11 is 11 on 11, and Tuel is up first. In part due to Carrington's pressure, Kyle Williams gets in on Tuel and they force a QBH. Tuel unleashes a 25 yarder in the air to Goodwin and I want his jersey.

I hope you mean Goodwin's because otherwise half the board is going to have a stroke. :w00t:

After some punt practice (which Powell won on distance, Stahovich wins on consistency),

Huh? I thought they cut Stahovich first thing this morning ... but he's still out practicing? Didn't anybody tell him he'd been cut?

Thanks, Astro, great to see you're back at it. Love this stuff!

Good to hear about Troup. Sounds like we've heard nothing but encouraging things from him so far.

Period 14 is more 11 on 11, and EJ is up first. He throws a nice one on he sidelines to Marquise, and Rolle makes the stop. Now it's the Chris "7-11" Hogan show. EJ throws him a rope for 20+ yards, then Hogan goes over the middle on a T-in from the left wideout spot, then Hogan lines up behind Kaufman, and the defense thinks they're ready, cheating over to that left side. EJ keeps it and goes right for 10-15 yards. Chris Brown said, "That was his 3rd read! That was his 3rd read! "

By "T-in," do you mean a square-in where he cuts straight across the field parallel to the yardage lines? And I have a mental picture of CB jumping up and down, pointing wildly and screaming "that was his 3rd read!"

More notes from Ryan Talbot:

http://queencitysports.net/buffalo-bills-training-camp-notes-for-august-13th/

By "T-in," do you mean a square-in where he cuts straight across the field parallel to the yardage lines? And I have a mental picture of CB jumping up and down, pointing wildly and screaming "that was his 3rd read!"

yep. That's what they called it in the middle ages when I was a blocking back, but I like square-in better. A T would have you going in two directions. What the L?

yep. That's what they called it in the middle ages when I was a blocking back, but I like square-in better. A T would have you going in two directions. What the L?

Thanks and that's what I thought. I only asked because that probably was the pattern Hogan was supposed to run in the Colts game on the 3rd and 2 that he dropped.