DEFENSE!!!

So what did everyone else think about the new D ? If they can keep gelling the skies the limit. The linebacking corps played great but Ron Brooks concerns me. He seems lost in the sauce. Wasnt it great to see blitzes and stunts ??? Damn we had one crummy vanilla D last year.

So what did everyone else think about the new D ? If they can keep gelling the skies the limit. The linebacking corps played great but Ron Brooks concerns me. He seems lost in the sauce. Wasnt it great to see blitzes and stunts ??? Damn we had one crummy vanilla D last year.

Well, in the first half the first team D, not even against Indy's first team O the entire time, allowed over 200 yards of offense in one half.

I guess if that's your measure than there's still work to do.

If it's all about style over substance re: blitzing and speed, I 'spose they can make it look good. But if they play like that every game then they'll be near the bottom of the stack again.

I'm sure that Pettine didn't pull out all the stops in this first preseason game, obviously. They're in a good position to just be able to evaluate talent at the positions and find the best starters.

As usual, midway thru the season we'll know what's going on. Everyone here will either be praising the new staff, Marrone, and Pettine, or coming down on them like a ton of bricks chanting same-old same-old.

It all comes down to mano-a-mano no matter what the schemes are. People are going to see what they want to see this time of year.

Edited by TaskersGhost

I had to cut grass and so missed the 1st part of the 1st quarter, so I didn't get to see how many of our veterans did but the one thing I noticed right away was the increased speed and physicality of the this years D from sideline to sideline. I always cringed last season any time there was intentional misdirection pass plays or sharp cutbacks on runs by opposing offenses. So many times I watched what should have been either cold stops in the backfield or line of scrimmage (at best maybe a 2 or 3 yd gain) turn into big 1st downs because our lb corps either couldn't quite get back across the field in time to make a tackle or never got off the initial block in the 1st place. It was a very pleasant surprise to see cutback runners and swing pass receivers actually getting stopped this game (most of the time anyway).

Edited by angryfan62

Last year it looked like opposing offenses were running plays against pylons.

Yesterday they actually looked somewhat off-kilter about half the time.

That's really all I needed to see.

reading between the lines I do believe your saying improvement?

I had to cut grass and so missed the 1st part of the 1st quarter, so I didn't get to see how many of our veterans did but the one thing I noticed right away was the increased speed and physicality of the this years D from sideline to sideline. I always cringed last season any time there was intentional misdirection pass plays or sharp cutbacks on runs by opposing offenses. So many times I watched what should have been either cold stops in the backfield or line of scrimmage (at best maybe a 2 or 3 yd gain) turn into big 1st downs because our lb corps either couldn't quite get back across the field in time to make a tackle or never got off the initial block in the 1st place. It was a very pleasant surprise to see cutback runners and swing pass receivers actually getting stopped this game (most of the time anyway).

You waited to cut grass until the most excited 15 minutes in the 8 months, the first part of the first game of the year? LOL, I kid.

Like the aggressiveness, but the Colts still moved the ball pretty easily against our first string guys.

True - I think this is fairly typical of the Pettine defense we saw with the Jets, very aggressive and opportunitistic. Meaning they blitz hard, go after the ball, and force turnovers, but not necessarily stifling as far as not giving up yards. The Colts are not at all a good running team... so we'll see what happens against AP on Friday night.

I agree that there are some concerns about the starting Defense. One point I'll make is Mario & Kyle Williams only played in 2 series. Back to the point at hand, I am concerned about the CB position outside of Gilmore, and I hope Byrd will join the team prior to the start of the season as I wasn't impressed with Searcy.

Two drives starters vs. starters and Luck moved the chains a bit but scored no points. I'll take that for learning a new system.

I'll add this - all the injured players during the game were Colts.

I'm not looking for dirty, nor am I seeing dirty. I saw attack, and when you're on your heels too much you tend to get hurt more. By forcing the action I am hopeful the new D will put more of the hurt on the other teams.

Hughes looked very impressive, immense speed rush talent.

I can't recall the last time I saw bills linebackers running unblocked at the opposing QB... The aggressive schemes are such a departure from the Ds we have endured.

Kiko Alonzo had a great pass break up on a very good tight end. An ILB with coverage skills.... Wow... Look forward to watching this guy play.

MD99- he was getting shoved around out there. I am starting to question if he's going to be the guy that warranted #3 overall....

Brooks- it's feast or famine with this guy. He got torched long, a taunting flag, then had some nice coverage and forced a fumble...

Moats looks to be reinvigorated.

Butler.... MVP on defense. Great game kid. He might be headed up the depth chart.

A. Williams... Looks more at home playing safety than he ever did at corner.

Bottom line:

This team surely has a ways to go, but I'd say the team looks to be potentially very solid at DE with Kyle, Mario, Carrington, 1 OLB with Hughes and depth, 1 corner with Gilmore.

Promising at S, with AW and ILB with Moats and Kiko I guess Bradham is other OLB?

Needs improvement are NT MD99, FS (sign Byrd) and CB (McK is a nickel at best, Rodgers can't help the run, i keep hoping for Brooks to come around) butler might seize the moment.

It is possible the D could be great! Marcell, and a few young LBs/DBs hold the key.

True - I think this is fairly typical of the Pettine defense we saw with the Jets, very aggressive and opportunitistic. Meaning they blitz hard, go after the ball, and force turnovers, but not necessarily stifling as far as not giving up yards. The Colts are not at all a good running team... so we'll see what happens against AP on Friday night.

Yup. I'm pretty ok with it. I'd rather see our guys be aggressive and take some chances, vs the vanilla "play it safe" defense of last year that got us killed. :)

He will have 1-3 carries, if he plays at all. He is their team.

Last year it looked like opposing offenses were running plays against pylons.

Yesterday they actually looked somewhat off-kilter about half the time.

That's really all I needed to see.

This. Even Luck looked quite uncomfortable at times. This is what you need to do in today's NFL. If the quarterback, especially a good one like Andrew Luck, is comfortable in the pocket, forget about it.

You waited to cut grass until the most excited 15 minutes in the 8 months, the first part of the first game of the year? LOL, I kid.

LOL...No way, I had been looking forward to it since it was announced that it would be televised on NFLN. Had been putting it off and thought I had plenty of time to knock it out before gametime, turns out I was off by about 15 mins. Had to get it done pre game though or otherwise I'd of had to mow drunk, and we all know that's just wrong :).

Edited by angryfan62