Where was Byrd???

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Earth to dumbass. That is an equivalency trade. If you sign Byrd, you have to give the Bills picks. One team gets the player, the other team gets picks. That's an equivalency trade.

Secondly, there is no team that will do an equivalency trade (signing him) due to the amount they would have to give up. So an actual trade is what would need to happen. And for an actual trade to happen, the Bills would have to sign Byrd to his tender before signing the trade paperwork.

So as I said, don't be a dick. It's assumed that Byrd would sign the deal before being traded.

You'll get further if you just say. "Oh that's right he can't be traded" as opposed to creating the concept of "equivalency trades" in order to hide the fact you didn't understand the franchise tag system. Its OK.

Awesome concept by the way. I think I'm going to "equivalency trade" some players in my upcoming fantasy football draft.

You'll get further if you just say. "Oh that's right he can't be traded" as opposed to creating the concept of "equivalency trades" in order to hide the fact you didn't understand the franchise tag system. Its OK.

Awesome concept by the way. I think I'm going to "equivalency trade" some players in my upcoming fantasy football draft.

Daniel__s_Facepalm_by_xAikaNoKurayami.jpg

Thats exactly what it is.

You get a player. I get draft picks. That's a trade.

He can be traded as soon as he wants to be and another team wants him. Agents do this all the time. He signs a conditional tender, and he is traded. Not difficult.

Let me know when you finish law school and we will talk.

Edited by microscopes

It has to be approved by him, considering that he has to sign the tender for the Bills to sign the trade paper work.

No, it doesn't have to be approved by him, please show where in the NFL labour agreement it says that.

The Bills could trade the rights to Byrd to a team for whatever they want. They could trade his rights for say a 7th rounder, and his new team would then hold his tender for this season. Its doubtful that a team would give up much to do this if they haven't already spoken to Byrd or his agent about some kind of deal though.

No, it doesn't have to be approved by him, please show where in the NFL labour agreement it says that.

The Bills could trade the rights to Byrd to a team for whatever they want. They could trade his rights for say a 7th rounder, and his new team would then hold his tender for this season. Its doubtful that a team would give up much to do this if they haven't already spoken to Byrd or his agent about some kind of deal though.

You're wrong.

From the CBA:

"Section 8. No Assignment: No Club may assign or otherwise transfer to any other Club the exclusive negotiating rights or any Right of First Refusal it may have for any Franchise Player, nor any Right of First Refusal it may have for any Transition Player, nor any designation rights it may have."

Edited by microscopes

Thats exactly what it is. It's also called a 'poison pill trade'.

He can be traded as soon as he wants to be and another team wants him. Agents do this all the time. He signs a conditional tender, and he is traded. Not difficult.

i dont think you know what a poison pill was, or why they are no longer allowed. but your cheery disposition certainly makes it easy to forgive the mistake.

i dont think you know what a poison pill was, or why they are no longer allowed. but your cheery disposition certainly makes it easy to forgive the mistake.

You're thinking of the poison pill attached to transition tags, which are now 'illegal' ala Wes Welker. Not poison pill trades related to franchise tenders. Although poison pill really is a misnomer.

Edited by microscopes

Daniel__s_Facepalm_by_xAikaNoKurayami.jpg

Thats exactly what it is.

Listen others have pointed out the flaws in your statement. Signing an Non-exclusive Franchise tendered player and then paying the compensation to the original team if the original team doesn't match the offer isn't a trade. In fact I don't think it has ever happened before.

You made one incorrect statement and keep trying to prop it up.

That isn't going to win you lots of friends or mindshare on this board.

You're a newbie on the board.

We love to have new voices just try to add to the conversation not defend your incorrect point tooth and nail.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Got any more insults for me?

No, never was an insult. You took it as such, odd?

You come on here saying you do not care what people on a "blog" say...yet post here and solicit their feedback. 010110001111010001001111000111110002

Listen others have pointed out the flaws in your statement. Signing an Non-exclusive Franchise tendered player and then paying the compensation to the original team if the original team doesn't match the offer isn't a trade. In fact I don't think it has ever happened before.

We love to have new voices just try to add to the conversation not defend your incorrect point tooth and nail.

Give him a chance, I remember when you were new too... :nana:

If you can't extend him, no offer. Do you think anyone's giving a premium pick for a one year deal for a guy coming in mid August, and worry he will leave in January?

Come on you are way smarter than that.

parker can work out a deal with another team. Get them to offer the Bills a 2nd in the upcoming draft and a second in 2015. Work out a deal for his new contract and get it done.

Problem is no one want sto give up that kind of cash and players for Byrd.

My hope is he sees how the team is changing from his first four years here and wants to get in on the action. Byrd signs the tender this week and plays in the last pre-season game and adds more talent to what is looking like it could be a solid D.

Why do people take guys holding out personally? First of all none of the players care about you or the city. None of them. Did Peyton Manning offer to take a paycut to stay in Indianaoplis? They are getting paid to play. They want money and maybe some fame in that order.

Byrd deserves to be paid top three safety money and to be the second highest paid player on the defense after Mario. He has earned it. The FO blew it not signing Levitrea nd Byrd last year. Now they are paying the price. He will show up two days before the fourth pre-season game. He will not dress for that game and he will start against the Patriots. He will make the ProBowl and deserve to be the highest paid safety in the league.

Of course, you are making the ASSUMPTION that they actually could have signed either of those guys last year to an extension. The word during the season whenever that was raised was that both of them wanted to test free agency. If that is the case, there is NO point to trying to sign them to an extension because they want to see what the market will bear. Given that the Bills don't know that any more than the players, you could easily be overpricing them and neither you nor their agents would even know that.

parker can work out a deal with another team. Get them to offer the Bills a 2nd in the upcoming draft and a second in 2015. Work out a deal for his new contract and get it done.

My hope is he sees how the team is changing from his first four years here and wants to get in on the action. Byrd signs the tender this week and plays in the last pre-season game and adds more talent to what is looking like it could be a solid D.

Are we sure that another team can work out a long term deal at this point? This is the one point I am unclear of at this point and if a team cannot negotiate a long term deal Byrds value is very low. What team would want to pay franchise money plus give up a good pick for a one year rental coming in this late?

Now that the July deadline has passed, NO team can sign him to a long-term deal. So this cannot work. The Bills and Byrd are pretty much stuck with each other unless a team is willing to take the risk that Byrd will sign long-term with them AFTER the season is over. Byrd is also taking a risk in that case because they would have to take the word of the team to which he would be prospectively traded that they would honor some gentlemen's agreement for an extension for the following year.

Not going to happen. The only way a trade happens is after the season is over. If it doesn't happen before the franchise tag deadline, he gets tagged again and the trade or extension or both would have to be worked out before next year's July deadline.

Are we sure that another team can work out a long term deal at this point? This is the one point I am unclear of at this point and if a team cannot negotiate a long term deal Byrds value is very low. What team would want to pay franchise money plus give up a good pick for a one year rental coming in this late?

It would be agreed to in principle

Now that the July deadline has passed, NO team can sign him to a long-term deal. So this cannot work. The Bills and Byrd are pretty much stuck with each other unless a team is willing to take the risk that Byrd will sign long-term with them AFTER the season is over. Byrd is also taking a risk in that case because they would have to take the word of the team to which he would be prospectively traded that they would honor some gentlemen's agreement for an extension for the following year.

Not going to happen. The only way a trade happens is after the season is over. If it doesn't happen before the franchise tag deadline, he gets tagged again and the trade or extension or both would have to be worked out before next year's July deadline.

This is what I thought as well.

Byrd is still in the same boat along with the other team, any drastic change in his performance or a major injury and the other side backs out.

Only ONE problem. Why would a team do that if they can no longer sign him to a long-term deal? Not going to happen now. You don't give up a first round draft choice to be in the Bills' position. Those deals can only be negotiated BEFORE the July deadline. Byrd can ONLY be signed to a one year deal now, and that includes any other team that might seek his services.

Wrong. If it were at all enforceable, it would be against the rules otherwise. Therefore it would be nothing but a gentlemen's agreement that is unenforceable. What if Byrd gets injured? Think the team is going to enter into that contract the next year? What if he has a crappy year? What if another team offers a few more million per year?

I disagree with you. A swap of assets is a trade. No matter how you break it down.

I do apologize for calling you a dumbass however. That's not my style.