Where was Byrd???

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't extend him, no offer. Do you think anyone's giving a premium pick for a one year deal for a guy coming in mid August, and worry he will leave in January?

Of course not. But Parker had 4 months to find a willing trading partner and presumably one that would pay him his asking price.

I'm just wondering what the market value might be for the best free safety in football, regardless.

GO BILLS!!!

Makes for a nice sound bite from a guy "leaving money on the table" that makes a salary nearly 2.5x the highest paid free safety and the most marketable face in the nfl for sponsorships outside of his nfl salary. Also with a brother making 100m.

Also a guy that had to be tagged and held out until just before camp on his last extension.

Also a guy that was injured at the time of that extension yet still received more money in the first 3 years of the deal than anyone else, even though the long term average merely matched Brady.

To be fair, the Colts and Peyton both acknowledged they were in no rush to sign a deal because Peyton couldn't practice anyway. There was no pressing need. He never held out.

The rest of the stuff, including what his brother makes, not sure the point of all that. But ok.

Lets just save all this Byrd drama until next year this time when he is still on the team and holding out. (if we haven't traded him yet, which we should not do unless we get more then a 1st and 4th).

He won't be on the team next year. He'll hold out until 3 says before opening day, report in time to get his game check, play the season and then sign somewhere else in the offseason. That's his plan.

To be fair, the Colts and Peyton both acknowledged they were in no rush to sign a deal because Peyton couldn't practice anyway. There was no pressing need. He never held out.

The rest of the stuff, including what his brother makes, not sure the point of all that. But ok.

He won't be on the team next year. He'll hold out until 3 says before opening day, report in time to get his game check, play the season and then sign somewhere else in the offseason. That's his plan.

We franchise him again next year. We can franchise him again, but only one time. It is limitted to 2 consecutive franchise tags because of Walter Jones, of Seattle, IIRC, who was constantly franchised to play LT. And because the LT position is not set apart from the rest of the line they vastly under paid for his services year after year despite being, possibly, the best ever LT in the game.

But, yeah we own Byrd for 2013 and 2014 and there is not one thing he can do about it except retire. Even then, we hold his rights for a certain period.

That he comes from an incredibly well to do family, makes what Byrd will in his career in any given year if bonuses and outside income lineup right, and that he really didnt leave any significant money on the table makes it sound more generous and selfless than it is and I'm still not faulting Byrd for handling his business.

And if manning was really willing to take substantially less, he would've re-signed before the injury instead of pushing to free agency and requiring the tag in the first place.

He held out, too, by the way. But, was also placed on the PUP list. A catch-22 that worked out for the Colts and ended up still paying Manning a kings ransom.

We franchise him again next year. We can franchise him again, but only one time. It is limitted to 2 consecutive franchise tags because of Walter Jones, of Seattle, IIRC, who was constantly franchised to play LT. And because the LT position is not set apart from the rest of the line they vastly under paid for his services year after year despite being, possibly, the best ever LT in the game.

But, yeah we own Byrd for 2013 and 2014 and there is not one thing he can do about it except retire. Even then, we hold his rights for a certain period.

Can tag him again after that but it'd be like 9+ at that point.

Also worth mentioning, Walter jones was represented by Parker.

Well, yeah sure, but I highly doubt they franchise him again.

He held out, too, by the way. But, was also placed on the PUP list. A catch-22 that worked out for the Colts and ended up still paying Manning a kings ransom.

He never held out. Look it up. Google is our friend.

Can tag him again after that but it'd be like 9+ at that point.

Also worth mentioning, Walter jones was represented by Parker.

That I did not know. What a trageic load of crap for Jones. That is why the NFLPA needs to insist on differences between positions. Then rules on what position you actually play if you take so many snaps at certain positions.

That he comes from an incredibly well to do family, makes what Byrd will in his career in any given year if bonuses and outside income lineup right, and that he really didnt leave any significant money on the table makes it sound more generous and selfless than it is and I'm still not faulting Byrd for handling his business.

And if manning was really willing to take substantially less, he would've re-signed before the injury instead of pushing to free agency and requiring the tag in the first place.

Manning said he wasn't going to test free agency. Where are you getting this stuff from? He said from the beginning he would reach a deal with the Colts.

Your other points are well taken though.

Well, yeah sure, but I highly doubt they franchise him again.

He never held out. Look it up. Google is our friend.

Sematics. He held out. He did not report to camp. He did not participate in OTA's.

What makes you doubt they franchise the best FS in the league for a discounted price for a season?

I think they Bills, unless someone comes from no where to step up big at FS, would be better off franchising him. This allows the Bills to focus on OG or LT, OC, TE and DT in next years draft. Not wasting any top 4 rounds on S's.

Manning said he wasn't going to test free agency. Where are you getting this stuff from? He said from the beginning he would reach a deal with the Colts.

We're saying he was talking out of the side of his mouth. He had Irsay by the balls, there was nothing he could do but pay Manning at that time. Manning knew that, and knew that his services would command a top 3 QB payout.

Sematics. He held out. He did not report to camp. He did not participate in OTA's.

What makes you doubt they franchise the best FS in the league for a discounted price for a season?

I think they Bills, unless someone comes from no where to step up big at FS, would be better off franchising him. This allows the Bills to focus on OG or LT, OC, TE and DT in next years draft. Not wasting any top 4 rounds on S's.

Considering he signed BEFORE camp and DID report to camp that's pretty weird that you think he didnt. LOL.

Because they don't consider him the best safety in the league. If they did they would have paid him by now. He asked for #1 money. They're not giving him #1 money. They don't think he is #1.

Edited by AvengedSevenfold

Begging? Who's begging?

Ever since he has been here JAIrus has not wanted to practice. Yet Brandon has come out saying he wants to sign him long term and there are so many threads crying about him not being here. So yes it is begging.

Look, the guy is a good player....very good. But he doesn't want to be here and doesn't want to practice. At some point the team has to move on without him. I think it is too bad but that doesn't mean it will change. And yes Brandon is begging Littman to pay him and Parker to pay less and can't convince either one. Talk about a rock and a hard pace.

Considering he signed BEFORE camp and DID report to camp that's pretty weird that you think he didnt. LOL.

Because they don't consider him the best safety in the league. If they did they would have paid him by now. He asked for #1 money. They're not giving him #1 money. They don't think he is #1.

I think we are miscommunicating here. I know I am saying it, not sure if NS is, too. But, in this case Manning put down a $$$. He told Irsay this is what I want. He held out until that $$$ was met, and we know what happened next. He did report to camp. But, after having his number met.

Whether they think Byrd is #1 money or not, even at #4 money, the $$ we are going to pay him this year is great...for us.

Your other points are well taken though.

Yes, but he certainly lands in the drivers seat when it gets down to the wire. He could've extended early if his desire was a simple, kind to the team, selfless contract. Manning wanted to get paid and he wanted to dictate terms even if his sound bites were fan friendly. If he wanted to do something nice for the team, it wouldn't have needed to last to that point in the first place.

Condon got him a pretty sweet deal for an old and seriously injured qb. Condon proceeded to take brees to the tag and a July extension the following year with a pretty similar formula (minus the injury). Where manning got off easy was between the lockout and his injury he never actually had to sit out of a camp or ota while healthy like most tagged players do if they want to push it.

A lot of that's personal opinion, so take it for what it's worth - little to nothing - but I don't think manning is near as selfless as the quote implies.

Edited by NoSaint

I think we are miscommunicating here. I know I am saying it, not sure if NS is, too. But, in this case Manning put down a $$$. He told Irsay this is what I want. He held out until that $$$ was met, and we know what happened next. He did report to camp. But, after having his number met.

Whether they think Byrd is #1 money or not, even at #4 money, the $$ we are going to pay him this year is great...for us.

He reported to camp, when it opened. On time. And I don't remember him missing any OTA's. Correct me if I'm wrong and provide a link.

I also don't think money had much to do with Manning's contract. There was no rush to sign him.

Maybe you're right. But I highly doubt the Bills franchise him again.

Yes, but he certainly lands in the drivers seat when it gets down to the wire. He could've extended early if his desire was a simple, kind to the team, selfless contract. Manning wanted to get paid and he wanted to dictate terms even if his sound bites were fan friendly. If he wanted to do something nice for the team, it wouldn't have needed to last to that point in the first place.

Condon got him a pretty sweet deal for an old and seriously injured qb. Condon proceeded to take brees to the tag and a July extension the following year with a pretty similar formula (minus the injury). Where manning got off easy was between the lockout and his injury he never actually had to sit out of a camp or ota while healthy like most tagged players do if they want to push it.

A lot of that's personal opinion, so take it for what it's worth - little to nothing - but I don't think manning is near as selfless as the quote implies.

Valid points.

Edited by AvengedSevenfold

He reported to camp, when it opened. On time. And I don't remember him missing any OTA's. Correct me if I'm wrong and provide a link.

I also don't think money had much to do with Manning's contract. There was no rush to sign him.

I am about to hit the hay, 5:30 comes too early. No chance for a link, and only going off memory of the time myself. Manning was in control of the situation the entire time - the entire time knowing, likely, that his market value in the league was X and his asking price was Y with the Colts at Z. I would bet now like I did then that the Z price was higher then X and lower then Y. But, by the time you're talking that many millions it is chump change to us. $10 in $100.

Valid points.

To the first part on Byrd - almost no reason not to tag him. It'd be in the 8m range which isn't to huge, would give us the right to attempt to broker a trade and if we aren't serious about paying him you can pull the tag before he signs it but I think they'd let him play under it.

To the manning half, I like to think they are valid, but your original take still may be the correct assessment. I just get the impression that the mannings will do what's best for the mannings no matter what - I find no fault in that at all, it's a business and a job. They are building their own empire, not irsays, or maras, or spanos, or bowlens.... Byrd can and should do similar for himself. Hopefully his needs, the teams financial needs, and the fans desire to see a winner all lineup relatively painlessly when alls said and done.

I am about to hit the hay, 5:30 comes too early. No chance for a link, and only going off memory of the time myself. Manning was in control of the situation the entire time - the entire time knowing, likely, that his market value in the league was X and his asking price was Y with the Colts at Z. I would bet now like I did then that the Z price was higher then X and lower then Y. But, by the time you're talking that many millions it is chump change to us. $10 in $100.

He was very much in the drivers seat- he got the great benefit (atleast from a pr standpoint) to never have to dirty his name by sitting out between the lockout and the injury though. So while avenged is right by the letter of what happened, I believe you are closer to the spirit of it. Again, just my take though.

To the first part on Byrd - almost no reason not to tag him. It'd be in the 8m range which isn't to huge, would give us the right to attempt to broker a trade and if we aren't serious about paying him you can pull the tag before he signs it but I think they'd let him play under it.

To the manning half, I like to think they are valid, but your original take still may be the correct assessment. I just get the impression that the mannings will do what's best for the mannings no matter what - I find no fault in that at all, it's a business and a job. They are building their own empire, not irsays, or maras, or spanos, or bowlens.... Byrd can and should do similar for himself. Hopefully his needs, the teams financial needs, and the fans desire to see a winner all lineup relatively painlessly when alls said and done.

He was very much in the drivers seat- he got the great benefit (atleast from a pr standpoint) to never have to dirty his name by sitting out between the lockout and the injury though. So while avenged is right by the letter of what happened, I believe you are closer to the spirit of it. Again, just my take though.

What sucks is that I do not really like him. But, he puts up thought out responses that are well enough written that it is worth taking the time to read them. I mean, what a jerk. But, yeah, hopefully he sticks around and doesn't pull a Fitzpatrick on us.

(and if he takes insult to this, he just has to give it time and realize there is a lot of busting of chops - he seems a good poster... I'm talking about him like he cannot read - you are a good poster...so far. so keep it up, just don't go back to the name calling and taunting crap :censored: )

Ok, promise I am going to bed, had to check OTW and PPP.

Edited by jboyst62

I don't see Whaley, with his new culture change, tagging a player for the same amount per year as he wants in a contract, and having to go through the same thing again next year. I just don't see it happening.

Maybe though