Is Buffalo not 'hip' or 'cool' enough for pro athletes

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sincerely hope so!

I recently decided that after about 15 years of living in NYC, Boston and Chicago, that big city living no longer appeals to me. It was a soul searching process because it also involved me leaving a very successful career to start a new firm in the same industry. In a nutshell though, the attraction of big cities slowly wanes as you get older. I found myself not really taking advantage of what living in a city was all about and began to actually become more aggravated with things like the horrible traffic, huge crowds, high crime, high taxes, and things being more expensive. Even going to the grocery store is a chore in a big city, especially like Chicago. The appeal of Buffalo is really being able to live a life with less hassle, around people that are more down to earth, and in a city that is entirely more accessible and affordable. If you live in Buffalo and really want a big city feel for a weekend, you can go to Toronto or take a quick flight to Boston, NYC, or Chicago. In the meantime, you can enjoy a nice house and do the things you want to do without having to deal with the hassles. The reality for many people in big cities is that once you move out to the suburbs, you basically cut yourself off from the cities anyway so you essentially live in a place like Clarence without the option of going into Buffalo very often. My wife and I are very excited about our upcoming move. I am proud to be moving there and feel like we are sincerely going to enjoy our life there.

It's great that your move is so promising for you, and for many others.

However, from the perspective of a professional athlete, there are plenty of places with nice, and usually nicer, suburbs than the Buffalo area. In the New York tri-state area alone, you have wealthy suburban parts of northern New Jersey, Westchester, and Connecticut (Greenwich isn't far) for professional athletes who prefer a surburban feel. For football players, one could live in a place like Alpine or Saddle River, NJ and commute to the stadium.

The same is true of other markets smaller than NYC. Bloomfield Hills, along with some of other suburbs of Detroit, is one of the nicest places in the entire country, even though Detroit proper is a failed city. Oakland has the entire S.F. bay area. Jacksonville has a weather advantage over Buffalo.

Quite frankly, there are very few positives for wealthy, young professional athletes in Buffalo over other cities. I do believe that, like Green Bay, the Bills can be a draw for free agents, but let's not delude ourselves and pretend that Buffalo has any major advantages over other cities. That's without even getting into the absurdly high N.Y.S. property and income taxes.

Added all together maybe. :doh:

Buffalo ranks #50 1.2M pop.

--------------------------------------

Tulsa #54 1.1M

Omaha #64 0.92M

Wichita #82 0.67M

Keep swingin' for the fences!

PTR

The city of buffalo has 263,000 dude. If you need to start including the metro area 70 miles in every direction, that's fine. But the discussion was about BUFFALO, which I have to remember back to realize the homers there have to include the metro area because it can't stand on its own.

It's a nice town, but in this world of supply and demand driving price, there is a reason it has some of the cheapest real estate in the country.

Here are your facts... See number 73... B-low

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

I sincerely hope so!

I recently decided that after about 15 years of living in NYC, Boston and Chicago, that big city living no longer appeals to me. It was a soul searching process because it also involved me leaving a very successful career to start a new firm in the same industry. In a nutshell though, the attraction of big cities slowly wanes as you get older. I found myself not really taking advantage of what living in a city was all about and began to actually become more aggravated with things like the horrible traffic, huge crowds, high crime, high taxes, and things being more expensive. Even going to the grocery store is a chore in a big city, especially like Chicago. The appeal of Buffalo is really being able to live a life with less hassle, around people that are more down to earth, and in a city that is entirely more accessible and affordable. If you live in Buffalo and really want a big city feel for a weekend, you can go to Toronto or take a quick flight to Boston, NYC, or Chicago. In the meantime, you can enjoy a nice house and do the things you want to do without having to deal with the hassles. The reality for many people in big cities is that once you move out to the suburbs, you basically cut yourself off from the cities anyway so you essentially live in a place like Clarence without the option of going into Buffalo very often. My wife and I are very excited about our upcoming move. I am proud to be moving there and feel like we are sincerely going to enjoy our life there.

I live in the burbs of DC, in Rockville, can walk 7 minutes to the metro to take me downtown and 5 minutes to bars and restaurants. If want want burbs with city access it's completely doable.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

It's great that your move is so promising for you, and for many others.

However, from the perspective of a professional athlete, there are plenty of places with nice, and usually nicer, suburbs than the Buffalo area. In the New York tri-state area alone, you have wealthy suburban parts of northern New Jersey, Westchester, and Connecticut (Greenwich isn't far) for professional athletes who prefer a surburban feel. For football players, one could live in a place like Alpine or Saddle River, NJ and commute to the stadium.

The same is true of other markets smaller than NYC. Bloomfield Hills, along with some of other suburbs of Detroit, is one of the nicest places in the entire country, even though Detroit proper is a failed city. Oakland has the entire S.F. bay area. Jacksonville has a weather advantage over Buffalo.

Quite frankly, there are very few positives for wealthy, young professional athletes in Buffalo over other cities. I do believe that, like Green Bay, the Bills can be a draw for free agents, but let's not delude ourselves and pretend that Buffalo has any major advantages over other cities. That's without even getting into the absurdly high N.Y.S. property and income taxes.

i don't think anyone said Buffalo had "major advantages over other cities"

But point taken.

n 2012, the estimated population of the Wichita metropolitan area was 636,105, and that of the larger Wichita-Winfield combined statistical area was 672,393.[9]

Buffalo–Niagara–Cattaraugus Combined Statistical Area is home to 1,215,826 residents.

Ok so that's what all of New York west of Rochester? Didn't realize the city sprawled so much.

Think about this.. in that same geographic area you could hit Baltimore, DC and Philly.

Buffalo is like the Greenville South Carolina of the north..... not that it's a bad thing it was a just fine town to grow up in, sort of isolated from the world....

And lucky enough to have sustained some pro sports despite economic decline.

The city of buffalo has 263,000 dude. If you need to start including the metro area 70 miles in every direction, that's fine. But the discussion was about BUFFALO, which I have to remember back to realize the homers there have to include the metro area because it can't stand on its own.

It's a nice town, but in this world of supply and demand driving price, there is a reason it has some of the cheapest real estate in the country.

I live in the burbs of DC, in Rockville, can walk 7 minutes to the metro to take me downtown and 5 minutes to bars and restaurants. If want want burbs with city access it's completely doable.

you say that because you live in DC. I highly doubt places like Whichita and Tulsa have that kind of access. But I've never been there so what the f%#k do I know.

Either way, you say that like you live anywhere. You leaving in the freaking US Capitol man. Of course everything is available to you. No surprise there. You live in possibly the biggest city in the country besides NYC and LA.

i don't think anyone said Buffalo had "major advantages over other cities"

But point taken.

I do occasionally see posters (not you) citing the safe, relatively inexpensive quality suburbs in the Buffalo area as being a draw for players.

The fact is that every other NFL city has similar suburbs available who want to live outside of the metropolitan area. Unless a player is from the Buffalo area or really wants to be under the radar, it's very hard for me to find a single reason that players would find Buffalo to be a superior option, until we start winning.

Edited by ny33

you say that because you live in DC. I highly doubt places like Whichita and Tulsa have that kind of access. But I've never been there so what the f%#k do I know.

Either way, you say that like you live anywhere. You leaving in the freaking US Capitol man. Of course everything is available to you. No surprise there. You live in possibly the biggest city in the country besides NYC and LA.

Fair enough... I am not really casting stones. I was surprised, no shocked Tulsa and Wichita cities were more populous than the city of Buffalo that's all.

My buddy from Rochester always says buy up all that cheap Buf lake front property and once global warming takes off it will be a tropical paradise. Maybe so.

I do occasionally see posters (not you) citing the safe, relatively inexpensive quality suburbs in the Buffalo area as being a draw for players.

The fact is that every other NFL city has similar suburbs available who want to live outside of the metropolitan area. Unless a player is from the Buffalo area or really wants to be under the radar, it's very hard for me to find a single reason that players would find Buffalo to be a superior option, until we start winning.

I feel bad for beating up on the old hometown so ill try to think of the pros now...

The best training camp weather?

Sundowners?

If you can find what you are looking for it will be CHEAP....

Wings

That's all I've got.

Fair enough... I am not really casting stones. I was surprised, no shocked Tulsa and Wichita cities were more populous than the city of Buffalo that's all.

My buddy from Rochester always says buy up all that cheap Buf lake front property and once global warming takes off it will be a tropical paradise. Maybe so.

I feel bad for beating up on the old hometown so ill try to think of the pros now...

The best training camp weather?

Sundowners?

If you can find what you are looking for it will be CHEAP....

Wings

That's all I've got.

Just like in Green Bay, the fact that there is relatively little to do in the Buffalo area makes it a better location, in some ways, for NFL players.

Many players come into the league immature and unaware of how to deal with going from poverty to relatively great wealth. Having fewer distractions during the season,for young players, is a great thing for performance on the field; I suspect that is a huge part of the reason that Green Bay has stayed so successful.

Shuffle off to Buffalo...23 Skidoo! All the hep cats are heading to the Nickel City!

Buffalo is awesome. While I was born here (currently on my annual pilgrimage to Buffalo), I grew up in a surf town on the California coast and live in the Bay Area now. Places people often think of as 'hip' or 'cool' towns. Every time I come back to Buffalo I'm struck by how fantastic it is. Beauty, history, activities - I have a phenomenal time (as does my girlfriend from out West) whenever I'm back. I think it just has an undeserved reputation by those who haven't spent time here.

Ok so that's what all of New York west of Rochester? Didn't realize the city sprawled so much.

Think about this.. in that same geographic area you could hit Baltimore, DC and Philly.

Buffalo is like the Greenville South Carolina of the north..... not that it's a bad thing it was a just fine town to grow up in, sort of isolated from the world....

And lucky enough to have sustained some pro sports despite economic decline.

I'm going by what is in the first paragraph of wikipedia for both cities. If you really think Wichita is bigger than Buffalo because there are more people in the city limits then you don't know what "Buffalo" means. I guess I've been lying all these years when I tell people I'm from Buffalo because I've actually never lived in the city............I am quite sure Erie Co itself still has 1M people, so that makes up pretty much all of that population number I quoted. How much do you think Cattaraugus has?

http://en.wikipedia....s_by_population

Have fun wasting your life away in traffic. I'd go crazy if I lived anywhere in the Balt/DC area. Living your life around traffic patterns and then still having it not work out.

Going back to Mike Schoop, a few months ago, somebody tweeted that Tony Kornheiser said (and I listen to him every day so I know he says this) that the most important things in life are traffic and parking. Schoop retweeted that and said "I guess they are if you live in DC."

Facts?? The FACT is no one just measures city population. SMSA, or standard metropolitan statistical area, is the official measure of an areas population.

As for Buffalo, its SMSA is just two counties: Erie and Niagara. Erie County is a million all by itself.

Rochester is the sprawled out city. Its SMSA is 5 counties large.

So sorry to bitchslap your theory around. In fact if we did play your little game and include everyone for 70 miles around, Buffalo would have over 7 million people!

One last thing: SMSA's are defined by congress, not by the local chambers of commerce.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot