Tonight's Scrimmage (8/5)

I love Astro's reports. What is your official job Astro? Are you a reporter by trade or are you just damn good at your hobby?

I am the Bills Analyst for DraftTek.com, and their RB analyst for the 2014 draft. I also edit comments the 31 other analysts write for the 2014 DraftSims that come out weekly. I teach reading and writing at a local independent school during the school year.

That is one of the better things I have read in a long time

Wow! Mawae? That's great news!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuel back in now. Marrone out there again. Now talking with the defense.

Deep pass to the EZ to ??? Can see his number. Butler had good coverage but a good WR would have had a TD.

Blitz by 55. Would have murdered Tuel there.

Deep pass to the right for Kaufman. Inc as it was too far out of bounds.

Tuel deep to the left to smith. Overthrown.

5 out there for a long FG. 51 yards. Off the crossmember for the camera tripod. Good.

I chimed in on Astrobot's last post. It seems that the qbs are overthrowing some. But are they ever UNDERthrowing?

I prefer overthrows. I hope there's never any underthrows.

Luck looked horrible to just average in a lot of games last year, especially in the first three quarters before flipping a switch it seemed in the 4th...including against us

Secondly, EJ or Kolb is not going to face defenses this talented and aggressive on a weekly basis...

I hope you're right, because 1) EJ has a track record of coming up big for games (5-0 for bowl games if I remember) and 2) That means that we have an aggressive and talented defense every week, which I SO WANT TO SEE! :w00t:

EJ showed me a little Jim Kelly last night. Kelly was famous (infamous?) for throwing some early picks but then storming back. The fact EJ could come out and be so ineffective early, but then lead three TD drives late, bodes very well in terms of us seeing how he handles adversity and his mindset. Almost like they always say a DB has to forget about the last play, so too does a QB to a certain extent.

Nice job.

I hope you're right, because 1) EJ has a track record of coming up big for games (5-0 for bowl games if I remember) and 2) That means that we have an aggressive and talented defense every week, which I SO WANT TO SEE! :w00t:

5 bowl games??

I chimed in on Astrobot's last post. It seems that the qbs are overthrowing some. But are they ever UNDERthrowing?

I prefer overthrows. I hope there's never any underthrows.

now that you mention it, I didn't notice any Underthown balls last night. Not saying they weren't there. In sure there was one or 2. But I didn't even think about it. At least not like I did when we had NoodleArm #5 and NoodleArm #14 on the roster.

EJ showed me a little Jim Kelly last night. Kelly was famous (infamous?) for throwing some early picks but then storming back. The fact EJ could come out and be so ineffective early, but then lead three TD drives late, bodes very well in terms of us seeing how he handles adversity and his mindset. Almost like they always say a DB has to forget about the last play, so too does a QB to a certain extent.

Nice job.

its been so long ago eball that I can't even remember what watching Jim Kelly was like. But your absolutely right on last nights assessment. He really did drive back hard and finished off on a good note.

As good as Tuel looked last night. I had the feeling like he was giving it all He's got out there to try and either earn his way on the roster, or take the #2 spot. EJ still has plenty of upside we haven't even seen yet.

Thanks mrags and everyone else who chimed in!

aye

its been so long ago eball that I can't even remember what watching Jim Kelly was like. But your absolutely right on last nights assessment. He really did drive back hard and finished off on a good note.

As good as Tuel looked last night. I had the feeling like he was giving it all He's got out there to try and either earn his way on the roster, or take the #2 spot. EJ still has plenty of upside we haven't even seen yet.

We tend to forget that this was EJ's first live look against a tackling defense in the NFL -- and one whose sole purpose is to harass and pressure the QB into making bad decisions. Aside from the very first throw, it appears he wasn't making bad decisions.

As fun as it was to hear about Tuel airing it out early, he really slowed down late. He hit 8 of his first 11, then just 2 of his last 9. Still, the fact he can air it out and wasn't overwhelmed by the moment is nice to see. I'm all for keeping another young gun on the roster to develop.

We tend to forget that this was EJ's first live look against a tackling defense in the NFL -- and one whose sole purpose is to harass and pressure the QB into making bad decisions. Aside from the very first throw, it appears he wasn't making bad decisions.

As fun as it was to hear about Tuel airing it out early, he really slowed down late. He hit 8 of his first 11, then just 2 of his last 9. Still, the fact he can air it out and wasn't overwhelmed by the moment is nice to see. I'm all for keeping another young gun on the roster to develop.

agree 100%.

When I said it looked like Tuel was giving it all he's for. I meant that I don't think we will get much more out of the performance we had last night. Not that there's no way for him to improve, just that his upside seems limited.

When I watched EJ last night, I just know there's Gobs of upside for him. He's only the tip of the iceberg right now. He's going to be really good IMO. I hope.

This tweet from Sal Capaccio this morning should be music to all of our ears:

"Just by standing down on the field can see the difference in the Bills' defense from last year. Seems light years. Always moving, so much faster."

And once again I say, $%&^@ you, Dave Wannstedt.

Nice job.

All of the great QB's throw picks. They throw even more TD's but they all throw picks. You know who doesn't throw picks? QB's like Trent Edwards. EJ can throw 2 picks every game as long as he throws 4 TD's and CJ runs for 2 more!

All of the great QB's throw picks. They throw even more TD's but they all throw picks. You know who doesn't throw picks? QB's like Trent Edwards. EJ can throw 2 picks every game as long as he throws 4 TD's and CJ runs for 2 more!

To this point, I loved the fact one of EJ's first post-practice comments was, "this won't be the only interception I throw."

I hope I wasn't the only one who thought EJ did very well. One INT was his fault the other the WR I think ran the wrong route (Marrone didn't give the reason why). I wanted to see a QB who wouldn't make the same mistake twice and EJ didn't disappoint. He rebounded and ended up with 2 passing TDs and 1 rushing. This was without CJ and Stevie on the field. For a rookie this is what you want to see.

Edited by BuffaloFood

I hope I wasn't the only one who thought EJ did very well. One INT was his fault the other the WR I think ran the wrong route (Marrone didn't give the reason why). I wanted to see a QB who wouldn't make the same mistake twice and EJ didn't disappoint. He rebounded and ended up with 2 passing TDs and 1 rushing. This was without CJ and Stevie on the field. For a rookie this is what you want to see.

The other INT was tipped at the line, no?