Astro-Notes: Aug 4 Practice

Astrobot

The big takeaways from today's practice:

• Growney Stadium was full, and there were fans 2-deep around the entire field. It's a Sunday, but that's what Night Practices are going to be like too. Sunday practices bring out the families. Lots of peripheral fans--you know, the ones wearing baseball jerseys.
  • We don't have a reliable kicker. Both Lindell and Hopkins stunk. Hiking the ball from the 23-30, Lindell missed 5 of 9 and Hopkins only missed 2 of 9. But later in practice, Lindell was 3 of 4 and Hopkins was 1 of 4.
  • Blatnick did some fundamental drills with the LB's and some with the D-Line. It bodes well for him.
  • CJ is just warming up. On 3rd down drills, he ripped off a 20 yard pass play followed 14 seconds later by a 10 yard run.
  • Gaskins is a pretty good running back. He's #3 in my book after CJ and FJ. Catching, running, and blocking, I liked what I saw. He's not doe-eyed. He acts like he belongs here. Zach Brown looked much better than earlier in camp on a sweep and an inside run, both for ~15 yds. Freddy dropped a sideline pass as did Drew Smith. Drew Smith is having a very tough time.
  • Gragg tore it up again at TE;after a Spiller run, the second and third 11 on 11 plays were to Gragg--same pass play run opposite sides. He made 15 yards to the L and 10 to the R. Later he had 2 nice runs. Chandler played today, so I don't know if we see him in the scrimmage tomorrow night.
  • Lots of ebb and flow between Offense and Defense. After those two CJ plays, the ball is tipped and Searcy takes it the other way for an INT. After the defense gums up a run up the middle, and nabs 2 sacks (one by Hughes, one by Bradham), Easley has a beautiful catch, then Gilmore picks off Easley on the next play. You won't be able to leave your seat for popcorn this year.
  • The LB corps is coming together. Lots of great commo out there, Kiko had an INT, Moats fakes a blitz then drops out, Bradham had great pressure and a sack, Hughes from rushbacker/DE position has a sick under-the-tackle's block that reminds me a bit of Bruce, Bryan Scott, coming up, gums up a play.
  • Da'Rick Rogers and Easley are pushing for those last WR roster spots. But Hogan made a sweet catch for first down plus the catch of the day on a swing route, Sampson had his best day as a Bill in KR and WR duty. Elliott was back on the sidelines with the sling.
  • We ran some read-option with EJ. We may see more of that on Monday night.
  • The pace of play is picking up even more. I counted 12 sec., 14, 11, and 13. They changed personnel at one point and it took 24 seconds.
  • I am impressed with the content of the Positional Drills. These guys are getting the fundamentals in ways I haven't seen at Bills Camps. For example, the WRs all did over-the-head catches while LBs did one on hand use while OL did drive blocking while RBs worked on draw play movement, while QBs worked on footwork while DEs worked on rip moves and spin moves while DBs worked on catching the damn ball.
  • Not sure we'll go much longer with 2 QBs out there. While he had some good moments, Tuel bounced a pass off a helmet for an INT, threw one to a spot halfway between him and the WR, and had a pick. EJ shows athleticism, improved reading of the D, and a high football sense, but can't do everything. Watch for a signing of a third QB. Any guesses?

Edited by Astrobot

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The list of QBs still available in FA is ugly, it includes four former Bills:

Byron Leftwich

Vince Young

Matt Leinart

Charlie Batch

Tyler Thigpen

JP Losman

Trent Edwards

Jamarcus Russell

AJ Feeley

Troy Smith

Chris Redman

John Beck

Jordan Palmer

Kevin O'Donnell

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42077/309/

Sweet Jesus, that is Bianca Wilfork-ugly.

I had the chance to make it out to SJFC today. Couple thoughts which you didn't include:

-Kiko Alonso was flying around the field. I love the way he runs and has a real nose for the football

-I agree with your assessment on our kickers, however, it must be noted that it was tremendously windy. Still, no excuses.

-Gilmore seemed to shine. Aside from one catch by Easley, he had a very solid day

• Growney Stadium was full, and there were fans 2-deep around the entire field. It's a Sunday, but that's what Night Practices are going to be like too. Sunday practices bring out the families. Lots of peripheral fans--you know, the ones wearing baseball jerseys.
  • We don't have a reliable kicker. Both Lindell and Hopkins stunk. Hiking the ball from the 23-30, Lindell missed 5 of 9 and Hopkins only missed 2 of 9. But later in practice, Lindell was 3 of 4 and Hopkins was 1 of 4.
  • Blatnick did some fundamental drills with the LB's and some with the D-Line. It bodes well for him.
  • CJ is just warming up. On 3rd down drills, he ripped off a 20 yard pass play followed 14 seconds later by a 10 yard run.
  • Gaskins is a pretty good running back. He's #3 in my book after CJ and FJ. Catching, running, and blocking, I liked what I saw. He's not doe-eyed. He acts like he belongs here. Zach Brown looked much better than earlier in camp on a sweep and an inside run, both for ~15 yds. Freddy dropped a sideline pass as did Drew Smith. Drew Smith is having a very tough time.
  • Gragg tore it up again at TE;after a Spiller run, the second and third 11 on 11 plays were to Gragg--same pass play run opposite sides. He made 15 yards to the L and 10 to the R. Later he had 2 nice runs. Chandler played today, so I don't know if we see him in the scrimmage tomorrow night.
  • Lots of ebb and flow between Offense and Defense. After those two CJ plays, the ball is tipped and Searcy takes it the other way for an INT. After the defense gums up a run up the middle, and nabs 2 sacks (one by Hughes, one by Bradham), Easley has a beautiful catch, then Gilmore picks off Easley on the next play. You won't be able to leave your seat for popcorn this year.
  • The LB corps is coming together. Lots of great commo out there, Kiko had an INT, Moats fakes a blitz then drops out, Bradham had great pressure and a sack, Hughes from rushbacker/DE position has a sick under-the-tackle's block that reminds me a bit of Bruce, Bryan Scott, coming up, gums up a play.
  • Da'Rick Rogers and Easley are pushing for those last WR roster spots. But Hogan made a sweet catch for first down plus the catch of the day on a swing route, Sampson had his best day as a Bill in KR and WR duty. Elliott was back on the sidelines with the sling.
  • The pace of play is picking up even more. I counted 12 sec., 14, 11, and 13. They changed personnel at one point and it took 24 seconds.
  • I am impressed with the content of the Positional Drills. These guys are getting the fundamentals in ways I haven't seen at Bills Camps. For example, the WRs all did over-the-head catches while LBs did one on hand use while OL did drive blocking while RBs worked on draw play movement, while QBs worked on footwork while DEs worked on rip moves and spin moves while DBs worked on catching the damn ball.
  • Not sure we'll go much longer with 2 QBs out there. While he had some good moments, Tuel bounced a pass off a helmet for an INT, threw one to a spot halfway between him and the WR, and had a pick. EJ shows athleticism, improved reading of the D, and a high football sense, but can't do everything. Watch for a signing of a third QB. Any guesses?

SKELTON!!!

The list of QBs still available in FA is ugly, it includes four former Bills:

Byron Leftwich

Vince Young

Matt Leinart

Charlie Batch

Tyler Thigpen

JP Losman

Trent Edwards

Jamarcus Russell

AJ Feeley

Troy Smith

Chris Redman

John Beck

Jordan Palmer

Kevin O'Donnell

http://www.rotoworld.../nfl/42077/309/

maybe we snag a practice squad guy after cuts are made.

Thanks, Astro. As far as Manuel is concerned, did he face as aggressive a D as Kolb had been facing? What is your confidence level in him as a Week 1-16 starter?

He better start at least 5-16, because the confidence in him as a 1-16 starter next season will be half of what it should be if he doesn't get some reps and experience this season.

Astro my friend, many thanks for the updates. I personally think the 'slip' was BS. It was a way to give him a way out of a competition the Bills staff never were going to realistically let him win. He will miss through Tuesday and be back Wed or Thursday and we will hear a company line 'Well we feel bad, he was doing real well but he fell behind in reps and EJ really stepped up...' :-) :thumbsup:

Astro my friend, many thanks for the updates. I personally think the 'slip' was BS. It was a way to give him a way out of a competition the Bills staff never were going to realistically let him win. He will miss through Tuesday and be back Wed or Thursday and we will hear a company line 'Well we feel bad, he was doing real well but he fell behind in reps and EJ really stepped up...' :-) :thumbsup:

Doubtful at best.

EJ looked like he had ups and downs, but the D was swarming everywhere. Kiko was killing it in individual drills. I was also shocked to see Torell Troup doing very capably in the individual drills... actually, I was surprised to see him practice as I had not see that in the past couple years.

I think Kolb hurt his ego more than his knee when he fell. It's interesting that reports from the press say he never fell on his knee but Marrone said he bumped his knee. Unless he was saying "bumped" in very loose terms.

Edited by The Wiz

Astro, thanks for the Spiller mention. Just wondering, have you noticed him running any deep patterns out of the backfield? He's been open on several of those the last couple years but Fitz never seemed to get the ball to him. I gotta think Hackett is gonna try to exploit that matchup.

Thanks again for the great write-up.

GO BILLS!!!