Byrd not at training camp. Will he report and play in any 2013 pre-sea

Nanker

I am confused as to why Byrd is not reporting to camp - isn't it the case that the bills and byrd can NOT sign any kind of deal now until after the season or something? I swore I read/heard that they missed the deadline to get a deal done - so wouldn't holding out of camp not actually accomplish ANYTHING? (because even if the bills wanted to, they cant make any deals with him)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bills have already told Parker they planning on tagging Byrd next year and will have the salary cap space to extend critical players during this year so will have no other player worthy of tag. Byrd will probably come back in shape enough to pass conditioning test but not enough the Bills will feel confident using him except on special teams. This will become major issue with him and his agent and they will try to get NFLPA to void his contract because Bills are 'punishing' Byrd for not attending training camp and preseason, Parker will continue to try to use as excuse to void contract making him a free agent.

He can whine all he wants. The Bills will be paying him $430K a game to play ST's if they feel he's not up to starting at FS initially, so his whining will fall on deaf ears.

I am confused as to why Byrd is not reporting to camp - isn't it the case that the bills and byrd can NOT sign any kind of deal now until after the season or something? I swore I read/heard that they missed the deadline to get a deal done - so wouldn't holding out of camp not actually accomplish ANYTHING? (because even if the bills wanted to, they cant make any deals with him)

Basically it's so he gets to miss camp. And all the fans telling him to sign a long-term contract.

Bills have already told Parker they planning on tagging Byrd next year and will have the salary cap space to extend critical players during this year so will have no other player worthy of tag. Byrd will probably come back in shape enough to pass conditioning test but not enough the Bills will feel confident using him except on special teams. This will become major issue with him and his agent and they will try to get NFLPA to void his contract because Bills are 'punishing' Byrd for not attending training camp and preseason, Parker will continue to try to use as excuse to void contract making him a free agent.

Has that ever worked?

Just asking.

What? I meant he isn't getting paid that is all. I never really said anything about the little things camp does which Byrd obviously doesn't care about. You really took that way to literal. OK people calm down and relax.

But to add on to your overreaction they are trying to make the season longer while shortening the preseason.

As it should be, if you're not precise with your thoughts and language on a message board, you will be misconstrued.

You can count on it.

Same money for less work and injury risk. In a purely monetary sense, there's no reason for him to show up before the regular season.

One could argue, though, by not being there, he's risking the further investment in his long term career, as he might lose his starting spot and lower his value on the open market.

Same money for less work and injury risk. In a purely monetary sense, there's no reason for him to show up before the regular season.

One could argue, though, by not being there, he's risking the further investment in his long term career, as he might lose his starting spot and lower his value on the open market.

It becomes even more of a grey area because as you know one could also argue that even though he's minimized his injury risk in terms of exposure, that he's increased his injury risk by

1) not being in football shape

2) not knowing what he's doing out on the field in the new defense

Parker overplayed his hand on this one and he continues to do so. Although only one player tagged this off season managed to sign a new deal, his is the only player who hasn't signed the one year tender and reported to camp.

The Bills are playing this right. Just blow them off until he's ready to show up. Don't put him in until he's ready to perform in the new defense. Tag him again next year. Make him a good offer and blow them off again until they are willing to negotiate. If they can get a first round pick for him, maybe they take it and move on. Otherwise, maintain status quo.</p>

Edited by BuffaloBob

It becomes even more of a grey area because as you know one could also argue that even though he's minimized his injury risk in terms of exposure, that he's increased his injury risk by

That's a good point, if the coaches push him onto the field right away anyways!

Fun times ahead for Byrd and the Bills. :D

#2 can also increase the risk of injury to his teammates.

Parker overplayed his hand on this one and he continues to do so. Although only one player tagged this off season managed to sign a new deal, his is the only player who hasn't signed the one year tender and reported to camp.

The Bills are playing this right. Just blow them off until he's ready to show up. Don't put him in until he's ready to perform in the new defense. Tag him again next year. Make him a good offer and blow them off again until they are willing to negotiate. If they can get a first round pick for him, maybe they take it and move on. Otherwise, maintain status quo.</p>

I agree on overplaying. With the deadline past the only deal that can be signed is a one-year deal or the tag offer. About the only thing Parker can hope to extract from the Bills at this point is a 'promise' not to tag Byrd again next season. The team would be foolish to agree to that at this point.

Brandon made a comment the other day that the team is committed to working a long-term deal with Byrd when the labor agreement allows negotiations to resume. All business with no attempt to negotiate in the press or anything negative about Parker or Byrd.

I suspect Byrd will sign the tag and report right before the season begins to avoid missing any game checks. Although he can report anytime prior to week 10 and still get credit for the seaon it makes no sense to leave something like $4 million on the table to prove a 'point'. Whatever that point might be at this stage because at the end of the day we all know that money talks and B S walks.

Will Byrd get money if he's inactive for game days?

Edit: apparently he will. Which means he will report one day prior to the start of the season and get all his money. Lame.

Edited by bladiebla

Is it true that if he signs by the first game then his full year salary is guaranteed, but if it's after the first game he only gets paid for the games he's on the team? Or did that change with the latest CBA?

Note: I don't think we'll cut Byrd, even if he signs after the first game, I'm just curious about this aspect of salary management.

So no camp, could be out of football shape, not play well, not know the system, and maybe get hurt too...............it will be interesting if Byrd has a very ordinary 2013 season. Will he be worth top 5 money next year? Probably not and what will other teams be willing to pay. He very well could get offers LESS than what he turned down this year

So no camp, could be out of football shape, not play well, not know the system, and maybe get hurt too...............it will be interesting if Byrd has a very ordinary 2013 season. Will he be worth top 5 money next year? Probably not and what will other teams be willing to pay. He very well could get offers LESS than what he turned down this year

Possible but some teams will take in to account that he sat out until regular season and factor that in to a contract offer. Having said that, Byrd could take a few weeks and be right back in form and finish strong.

I'm with others, I don't expect him to sign until right before the season starts.

Wonder if he'll be in the starting lineup on week one or not.

Starting lineup??? Why the hell would he be starting if he hasn't been in any of training camp? He will have no idea about the scheme we are running, and will not be in football condition. He could very well go on the PUP list and be allowed to play after week 6. And besides, if Searcy, A Williams, D Williams, Silva, Scott and whoever else is playing safety look solid, there is no point in even playing Byrd. He holds out all thru camp, he has bought himself a one way ticket out of town.