Drew Brees leaves $3 tip on take-out order

Himmm. I spent 25 years in the kitchen slicing tomatoes, making salads, packing up to go items and never got a dime.

This.

I used to hear waitresses and hostesses in our restaurant (where I was also a waiter and bartender) complain about not getting tipped for literally doing nothing more than ringing someone out for a take out order.

They didn't pack it up.

They didn't take the order.

They didn't cook the food.

Meanwhile, they walked out every night with twice the money that the people in the kitchen made.

Also, enough of these aholes posting about the most minor transgressions when a celebrity "slights" them.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Idk I think for $74 worth of Chinese food takeout (how many boxes is that) it may warrant a tip.. If I'm Drew Brees using a credit card, I would tip just because...

If I'm ordering takeout for just a single meal or 2, it's not really necessary but that order seems like a lot of food and actually some work putting everything together... but that's just me.

Apparently, Drew needs an explanation.

If you are picking up food in a restaurant (other than a fast food restaurant), the right thing to do is to tip. There is no law that says you should tip then or at any other time, but it is the right thing to do -- especially if you are planning on going back.

There was that movie a while back with Steve Martin (I think it was called My Blue Heaven or something like that) where he played a mobster in the witness protection program. He said something like: "I do not believe in tipping. I believe in over tipping."

I take the same approach when the service is good. Maybe, it is because I was a waiter when I was in school. When the service is not any good or the food is bad, my approach is not to send the food back or anything like that. I just never go back.

Himmm. I spent 25 years in the kitchen slicing tomatoes, making salads, packing up to go items and never got a dime.

The two restaurants I worked at back in high school, the waitresses/bartenders gave part of their tips to the kitchen staff. I don't know how they determined how much to give though.

As for tipping on takeout, I usually do no more than 10%, but I'm also not buying $74 worth of Chinese food.

I never know what to do on take out. Some places when you swipe your card, there is a spot for tip on the receipt... Some places no.

It does make Brees look kinda cheap... The etiquette is, I think, not to tip on take out... So why give 3 bucks on 74? Did he use a card, even worse... Nothing @ all and write takeout on the tip line... OR be generous on a large order.

Apparently, Drew needs an explanation.

If you are picking up food in a restaurant (other than a fast food restaurant), the right thing to do is to tip. There is no law that says you should tip then or at any other time, but it is the right thing to do -- especially if you are planning on going back.

There was that movie a while back with Steve Martin (I think it was called My Blue Heaven or something like that) where he played a mobster in the witness protection program. He said something like: "I do not believe in tipping. I believe in over tipping."

I take the same approach when the service is good. Maybe, it is because I was a waiter when I was in school. When the service is not any good or the food is bad, my approach is not to send the food back or anything like that. I just never go back.

Ummm..... isn't it their job requirement to do that? They are getting paid, regardless of a tip, right?

Do you tip anybody that is just doing their job and making an hourly wage? Why don't you tip your mechanic, or fireman/policeman when you call them, or the cashier at Wegmans who packs your 200 item order. Tipping is out of control.

A $3 tip is offensive, and Marrone WAS Brees' Offensive Coordinator.

I blame Marrone.

Finally, a voice of reason. So we have a loudmouth, crack under pressure, cheap ass head coach. It all makes sense now. I bet Marrone is the one who advised Brees to keep that rat's ass on his cheek, too.

Edited by Gugny

Ummm..... isn't it their job requirement to do that? They are getting paid, regardless of a tip, right?

Do you tip anybody that is just doing their job and making an hourly wage? Why don't you tip your mechanic, or fireman/policeman when you call them, or the cashier at Wegmans who packs your 200 item order. Tipping is out of control.

Service people get less than minimum wage (as far as I know based on my experience). They work off of tips. That is the big difference.

Regarding the police: I am the president of our homeowners association. When I became president, I tried to start a tradition of sending over some Christmas goodies. When we sent our package over, they had to reject it because of some internal policy.

In addition to waiters etc., I give Christmas gifts to the lady that delivers the paper, the mailman, the garbage men, and the pool guy. In addition to being the right thing to do (for me), believe me when I tell you that our paper is always delivered and is dry, our mailman makes the extra effort to come to the front door when we are home, the garbage men bring our garbage cans to the top of the driveway, and our pool is always clean.

Clearly, tipping is not required. No one has to do it. I choose to do it.

Service people get less than minimum wage (as far as I know based on my experience). They work off of tips. That is the big difference.

Most of the places I've gotten take out have a cashier or hostess who handles take out orders. They make min wage +.

Edited by inkman

Most of the places I've gotten take out have a cashier or hostess who handles take out orders. They make min wage +.

In many of those restaurants, it is the waiters/waitresses that put together your order. For example, we get take out a lot from two places down here (Sushi Rock and Flannigan's). At both of those places, the waitresses put together your order. They make less than minimum wage.

Nevertheless, I am not telling you or anyone else to tip. Do what you want. It is YOUR money. For me, it is the right thing to do.