Buffalo economy is on the mend

billsfan_34

Sorry if this was discussed already. I know most of us are familiar with the new medical corridor and canalside. Heres a nice link from the ny times its great to see Buffalo on its way back. I post this because we are all proud Buffalonians and im even more optimistic for a stadium on the Buffalo waterfront. The dirty politics are not as significant in Erie County anymore and they are still alive and well in Niagara county so no stadium will go in NF. Enjoy the link and go Bills.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/realestate/commercial/once-a-punch-line-buffalo-fights-back.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's great to see Buffalo on the rebound, but putting nearly all their resources into one pile (SUNY Buffalo Med Center) is somewhat risky. They are surrounded by more well funded, well known and aggressive health players: Cleveland Clinic to the west, UPMC to the south and URMC to the east.

I saw that article yesterday, a few of my friends in Buffalo posted it. I like how they touch on many people in the young professional age-range (30s and 40s) have been moving back to B-lo, looking to fix their hometown. In that age range myself, and having attended a SUNY school with plenty of Buffalo natives who have an insane amount of pride in their hometown, I am not surprised in the least. I know a number of my friends that have done just that. Get their careers going elsewhere, establish themselves, and then move back home and aim to do their part in bringing Buffalo back.

I'm a Rochester native myself, so I "get it" to a certain extent, and it makes me very happy to see. We moved to North Carolina a while back, but often think about returning to WNY for the long haul.

Geez, talk about a puff piece.

All that government spending hasn't brought new jobs or population to WNY. They are still losing population, and job growth there is still stagnant.

Look at the comments at the bottom of this article:

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130731/CITYANDREGION/130739803

Also, look down the Thruway, where Rochester is losing Bausch and Lomb:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20130731/OPINION04/307310014

Look, I grew up in Buffalo, and I deperately want them to succeed. But all of the nice-looking pictures don't obscure the fact that upstate NY is one of the least business-friendly areas around.

An analogy for you. You bought your house for $150k and then it becomes worth $60k. You wait and wait and wait until you find the comps are now $65k. I would not consider that a rebound. Face it folks Buffalo is dead.

I have to agree. I still don't see why people are obsessed with the value. My father still lives in the same house he built new for 17k... It is worth over 100k. Same here in Illinois, I am in my house for the long haul.

I am not sure where you are getting the 150k numbers down to 60-65k. Buying for 150k was way too high and inaccurate for BFLO numbers? Heck, here in Illinois, I built my house brand new for under 150k.

Honestly, what does BFLO bring to the table w/its area?

I have to agree. I still don't see why people are obsessed with the value. My father still lives in the same house he built new for 17k... It is worth over 100k. Same here in Illinois, I am in my house for the long haul.

I am not sure where you are getting the 150k numbers down to 60-65k. Buying for 150k was way too high and inaccurate for BFLO numbers? Heck, here in Illinois, I built my house brand new for under 150k.

Honestly, what does BFLO bring to the table w/its area?

It was an analogy not an example of WNY real estate. It was an actual scenario that happened to me in CA 20 years ago in the last RE beat down.

An analogy for you. You bought your house for $150k and then it becomes worth $60k. You wait and wait and wait until you find the comps are now $65k. I would not consider that a rebound. Face it folks Buffalo is dead.

. North buffalo looks good

Buffalo may be dead...but probably not to the folks who still live there.

I'll give you my Dad's number so you can call him. His lived his whole life in WNY (84 years) he'll tell you just exactly how dead it is. For many too close to the trees for the forest. Now Buffalo may be dead but there are many parts of WNY or CNY (Finger Lakes for example) that I would consider moving to.

Edited by Chef Jim

I saw that article yesterday, a few of my friends in Buffalo posted it. I like how they touch on many people in the young professional age-range (30s and 40s) have been moving back to B-lo, looking to fix their hometown. In that age range myself, and having attended a SUNY school with plenty of Buffalo natives who have an insane amount of pride in their hometown, I am not surprised in the least. I know a number of my friends that have done just that. Get their careers going elsewhere, establish themselves, and then move back home and aim to do their part in bringing Buffalo back.

I'm a Rochester native myself, so I "get it" to a certain extent, and it makes me very happy to see. We moved to North Carolina a while back, but often think about returning to WNY for the long haul.

i bailed after job lost, you can keep nc.

If the New Jersey Super Bowl goes well, I would love for that to set the table for a future Super Bowl in Buffalo. That would give the economy a nice shot in the arm.

Super Bowl in Buffalo in February?? Ain't gonna happen unless the build a dome. If NYC wasn't nearby they never would have considered it.

Edited by Chef Jim

I'll give you my Dad's number so you can call him. His lived his whole life in WNY (84 years) he'll tell you just exactly how dead it is. For many too close to the forest for the trees. Now Buffalo may be dead but there are many parts of WNY or CNY (Finger Lakes for example) that I would consider moving to.

So true Chef... So true... NYS is a very beautiful state.

I'll give you my Dad's number so you can call him. His lived his whole life in WNY (84 years) he'll tell you just exactly how dead it is. For many too close to the forest for the trees. Now Buffalo may be dead but there are many parts of WNY or CNY (Finger Lakes for example) that I would consider moving to.

finger lakes? What is going on there besides wineries and the lakes

Is it possible? They talk about the minimum hotel rooms needed... BFLO doesn't even come close. Now Toronto maybe...

It's a lofty dream I have for the city, that's all.

And Lake Placid hosted the Olympics. Lake Placid is a tiny community. The Olympics are a heck of a lot bigger than the Super Bowl.

I don't think anything is impossible.

Hell, they have a 1/32 chance like everyone else.