Buffalo economy is on the mend

billsfan_34

And you are from Batavia/Attica area, right... That is really a shell of its former shelf! ;-)

Same here, the part I am in Illiana (Illinois-Indiana) is a shell of its former self... BUT it is a boom town compared to what WNY went through... Steel even still comes out of here.

Batavia isn't bad but Attica is a shithole compared to what it was like just when I hung out there in the 70's.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right. At the turn of the century Buffalo was booming.

Just went on a guided tour yesterday of all the grain mills downtown on the Buffalo River. During those times Buffalo had the 3rd largest port in the world. Lockport had more people coming through than Ellis Island at one point and had more millionaires per capita than anywhere in the US.

A few things that are coming to change, is that within 1-2 years there will be a new hotel, restaurants, bars and zip lining in place of the old GLP grain elevator.

Also, within the next 1-2 years there will be high end luxury condos and townhomes in place of the old freight house using original wood and stone to preserve some of the history of the area.

Ground has already broke on the GLP as there was construction going on already.

It's only a matter of time before some of the others fall. Maybe use Concrete Central as part of a facad for a new stadium???

Time will tell, but after my tour yesterday, I honestly felt like things were looking upwards. The waterfront at the arena looks beautiful. Next year they start the light show on one of the grain elevators showcasing Buffalos history, present and future.

We have grain elevators here in Illinois since they were invented in BFLO many moons ago. Same w/concrete silos... Guess what we use them for? You guessed it: Grain and cement.

:-P

That is what makes me so damn sad about BFLO. Its very need for existance has been ripped out and people expect it it reinvent itself. That need just got consolidated in other cities. Chicago is still doing what Chicago did when it was first built and always will. BFLO did get a raw deal.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

They mentioned something about where they all went. Pretty sure they said something about Canada taking some of it. Don't Remember. I was busy taking pictures and concentrating on the The Cargill building as my father used to work for them.

Edited by mrags

They mentioned something about where they all went. Pretty sure they said something about Canada taking some of it. Don't Remember. I was busy taking pictures and concentrating on the The Cargill building as my father used to work for them.

Cargill is still where I work... We call it "Cargill Bend" on the river.

The Seaway really wiped out BFLO... We should have listened to the ones who wanted to compete with Welland and build an "All-American Canal" for the lake ships... Yet, they can get off charging tolls in Canada... We don't do that here in The States... Something about "...free forever" and being "common highways." What made Southern Ontario, killed BFLO... They need to shut down the Seaway and stop diverting water through Welland and Chicago... It would kill my job, BUT help BFLO. Return The Lakes to intra-basin only... Drive up the cost of business to Sountern Ontario, possibly make crap come through BFLO again. Where are they going to go in Toronto/Southern Ontario... Edmonton?

The second ring of the burbs are fine where i'm from

That damn school attica broke our wrestling streak of 153 straight give or take

i also hail from the burbs. Grew up in Amherst. Still live only a mile or so from williamsville. It's not the city so I know people get offended and upset when I say it's Buffalo but I personally mix the burbs and Buffalo together in one. Amherst to me is Buffalo as well. Clarence, williamsville, kenmore, tonawanda, etc... I lump it all into the Buffalo conversation when talking about it. Personally I think the suburbs are more of a show of what Buffalo has to offer. Or any city for that matter. I would say all "downtowns" I've ever been to. NYC, Vegas, SF, Charlotte, Cleveland are all dirty as hell anyway. Just because there's massive amounts of population doesn't mean anything. Just my opinion though. I know I'll get scolded for it.

i also hail from the burbs. Grew up in Amherst. Still live only a mile or so from williamsville. It's not the city so I know people get offended and upset when I say it's Buffalo but I personally mix the burbs and Buffalo together in one. Amherst to me is Buffalo as well. Clarence, williamsville, kenmore, tonawanda, etc... I lump it all into the Buffalo conversation when talking about it. Personally I think the suburbs are more of a show of what Buffalo has to offer. Or any city for that matter. I would say all "downtowns" I've ever been to. NYC, Vegas, SF, Charlotte, Cleveland are all dirty as hell anyway. Just because there's massive amounts of population doesn't mean anything. Just my opinion though. I know I'll get scolded for it.

Here in Illinois it doesn't really work. Somebody will say you are from Chicago. Huh? Not the city and it is Chicago Land. It would be like saying you are from BFLO but live in Springville... I am just as far from The Loop... Half that to the city line. The region, stretched out would be almost all of WNY and part of S.Ontario. Of course, I agree w/you on the close 'burbs that border the city line. I am still in Chicago Land, but for me going to O'Hare would be like taking a drive from S.Cheektowaga/West Seneca (where I grew up) all the way to Olean, NY.

Here in Illinois it doesn't really work. Somebody will say you are from Chicago. Huh? Not the city and it is Chicago Land. It would be like saying you are from BFLO but live in Springville... I am just as far from The Loop... Half that to the city line. The region, stretched out would be almost all of WNY and part of S.Ontario. Of course, I agree w/you on the close 'burbs that border the city line. I am still in Chicago Land, but for me going to O'Hare would be like taking a drive from S.Cheektowaga/West Seneca (where I grew up) all the way to Olean, NY.

yiu understand my point though. And that's why Buffalo shouldn't just be considered the city limits. The sprawling burbs like Amherst, Williamsville, Kenmore, Cheektowaga should definitely be considered when talking about Buffalo. The short distance and drive time from one to the other is minimal compared to many other cities.

yiu understand my point though. And that's why Buffalo shouldn't just be considered the city limits. The sprawling burbs like Amherst, Williamsville, Kenmore, Cheektowaga should definitely be considered when talking about Buffalo. The short distance and drive time from one to the other is minimal compared to many other cities.

For sure!

FWIW... I was born @ Sister's Hospital and we lived in S.Cheektowaga. Now here, my children were born in Indiana. Lake County (Munster)... I gotta go across the border to Crown Point to get their birth certificates.

Downtown Chicago is very vibrant and livable.