O-Line - starting RT - why is this not being addressed?

San-O

Looking at the depth chart now that training camp has started, and Erik Pears is still at RT.

The Bills did not draft a T in 2013, there are 7 in the depth chart referenced via this website, and Pears

was said to be "aweful before his injury"

What are the Bills FO doing about this, and is there real concern about this position with rookie QB possibly starting this year?

???

http://www.billsdaily.com/gameday/index.shtml

Offensive Line: Cordy Glenn, Erik Pears, Eric Wood, Adam Levitre, Kraig Urbik, Chris Hairston, Chad Rinehart

This unit continues to suffer injury after injury but they constantly bounced back. They allowed only 30 sacks but that is seven more than their league leading total of 2011. They paved the way for a 5 yard average per carry thanks to the dynamic running of Spiller.

Final Overall Grade B: Solid unit but slipped a bit from a year earlier.

Glenn B: Was having a fantastic rookie season until an injury cost him a few games. He wasn't the same when he came back. Should continue to develop as the starting left tackle.

Pears F: He was awful before his injury shut him down. Will likely look for a replacement at right tackle.

Wood B+: Stabilizing force on the line will remain the starting center in his contract year.

Levitre A: A must to re-sign him. He wants to stay and they need him since he's the best player on the line.

Urbik B+: Solid starter at right guard should remain there after re-signing with the team.

Hairston C: Decent backup but need him to start less in 2013.

Rinehart C: Solid backup in the middle of the line. Should look to re-sign him.

Looking at the depth chart now that training camp has started, and Erik Pears is still at RT.

The Bills did not draft a T in 2013, there are 7 in the depth chart referenced via this website, and Pears

was said to be "aweful before his injury"

What are the Bills FO doing about this, and is there real concern about this position with rookie QB possibly starting this year?

Hate to disappoint you but they have addessed it and Pears is the starting right tackle. Hairston is on the PUP right now, so it's pretty much going to be Pears

Whoever said that Pears was awful before his injury, is completely misguided.

Pears is not an All Pro, but he gets the job done at RT. If Hairston were healthy and able to participate in camp, then the Bills would have some competition for the starting job.

As for Sanders, I don't see him as anything but a back-up for now.

Relax, Pears will be fine. It's nothing like the time when we had Cornell Green at RT.

He's at camp but Joe B's day 1 report said Manny Lawson abused him.

PTR

THX.

Well, he was a rookie last yeat, so really is still a rookie who has not played in a year. And coming back from 2 surgeries. I wonder how far along he really is?

Pears is not an All Pro, but he gets the job done at RT. If Hairston were healthy and able to participate in camp, then the Bills would have some competition for the starting job.

Relax, Pears will be fine. It's nothing like the time when we had Cornell Green at RT.

OI! Cornell Green, yikes. :lol:

OK Vadar, holding you to that then, for now.

I agree with this assessment. Pears is solid in run blocking and adequate in pass blocking. Like most RTs, he struggles with speed rushers, especially in empty backfield sets.

We can certainly do worse than Pears at the position. That said, I was hoping Hairston would press the issue.

GO BILLS!!!

This basically looks like the OP graded some players and wants some attention he didn't get back when he originally posted it.

Wrong. This was from the year end Bills Daily Game Day - I don't grade O linemen. The link is actually there also, give it a read.

The offensive line as a whole was ignored and replaced good players with journeyman players.

This is typically what we do every 3 years.

Um, there's one starter gone from last year, so, no.

Prior to last year, the only difference was replacing a 7th round LT with a 2nd round draft pick, so, still no.

On the whole, you're post is wildly inaccurate at best, downright trolling at worst.

Have a nice day.

I didn't think Pears was awful.. I actually thought he was doing well when he played. As one poster said he's no all pro, but I think he is good. We can't have studs at every position, I'm fine with Pears or Hariston, whoever wins the job come first game.

Agree with this.

I didn't realize RT was even a concern right now. Pears is alright and I think Hairston would provide healthy competition. It's not a position of strength, but it's not necessarily a problem. And I'm eager to see if Marrone can get the whole line to the next level regardless of who ends up starting.

I don't bother paying attention to the O-Line till they get pads on.

This. Large men dancing and pushing each other around in shoulder pads and shorts does not constitute football.