O-Line - starting RT - why is this not being addressed?

San-O

Looking at the depth chart now that training camp has started, and Erik Pears is still at RT.

The Bills did not draft a T in 2013, there are 7 in the depth chart referenced via this website, and Pears

was said to be "aweful before his injury"

What are the Bills FO doing about this, and is there real concern about this position with rookie QB possibly starting this year?

???

http://www.billsdail...day/index.shtml

Offensive Line: Cordy Glenn, Erik Pears, Eric Wood, Adam Levitre, Kraig Urbik, Chris Hairston, Chad Rinehart

This unit continues to suffer injury after injury but they constantly bounced back. They allowed only 30 sacks but that is seven more than their league leading total of 2011. They paved the way for a 5 yard average per carry thanks to the dynamic running of Spiller.

Final Overall Grade B: Solid unit but slipped a bit from a year earlier.

Glenn B: Was having a fantastic rookie season until an injury cost him a few games. He wasn't the same when he came back. Should continue to develop as the starting left tackle.

Pears F: He was awful before his injury shut him down. Will likely look for a replacement at right tackle.

Wood B+: Stabilizing force on the line will remain the starting center in his contract year.

Levitre A: A must to re-sign him. He wants to stay and they need him since he's the best player on the line.

Urbik B+: Solid starter at right guard should remain there after re-signing with the team.

Hairston C: Decent backup but need him to start less in 2013.

Rinehart C: Solid backup in the middle of the line. Should look to re-sign him.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting that.

Is that an outdated roster? No mention of Sam Young? That kid is a beast in the making. Has the size, mean streak, and a season under his belt. I'm not Pears biggest fan and was hoping Young steps in and takes the spot

Is that an outdated roster? No mention of Sam Young? That kid is a beast in the making. Has the size, mean streak, and a season under his belt. I'm not Pears biggest fan and was hoping Young steps in and takes the spot

What was Dallas doing cutting him after 1 season and why did the Bills start him 4 times in 2 seasons?

Pears was decent in 2011 and hurt throughout training camp and into the 2012 season until they finally shut him down. It was a groin/sports hernia injury (?) and it prevented him from anchoring on his blocks. Defenders pushed him around rather easily which lead to some of Fitzpatrick's more infamous throws of 2012.

A healthy Erik Pears as a starter is fine with me.

And I'm eager to see if Marrone can get the whole line to the next level regardless of who ends up starting.

This is a key point, and is most likely the signal in a whole bunch of noise.

I bet our most knowledgeable, and focused on, O line posters would agree: O line is about the unit, it's not about one guy. And, it's about learning technique, and turning that into skill. Only after those 2 things, is it about personal attributes, ht, wt, speed, etc.

I am not saying Marrone can turn sow's ears into silk purses. However, frankly I don't think he has to do that.

There are a lot of statistical analyses that had the Bills O line rated quite highly last year. Given the above, you don't lose that because you lose one guy. Rather, I am betting that there's a lot of little stuff that Marrone knows that he can teach the guys, and so far, it appears that is precisely what he is doing.

The question is: will all this little stuff + whoever wins LG allow us to take 7 step drops and throw the ball for 40+ yards in the air, a thing that we weren't able to do much of, due to arm of the past QB, and not necessarily due to the O line. If that answer is yes? Then I'd put Spiller at the top of my fantasy board right F'ing now. :lol:

Oh, and in that case? I'd also prepare for the "It's not that EJ Manuel was a good pick(and/or Kevin Kolb has finally turned the corner), or is a good QB, it's that he has CJ Spiller on his team (so actually we weren't wrong)" articles from ESPN right F'ing now as well. :lol:

I expect Pears to be another Overdorf Special. He won't last the cuts. Hairston starts if he's healthy, and Sanders backs him up.

This [and to continue] is silly for this is not Tuesday's team the NJ Jest but the Bills. Jim Overdorf does not determine who gets cut.

Why do people think Sanders can play RT? He does not have the bulk to play RT. He is a swing tackle back-up at best. Hairston on the other hand has the size to play RT. It is Hairston's job to lose if he can get healthy. If Glenn continues to develop then we are set at tackle for years. If Glenn regresses then the left side is an absolute disaster. If Glenn performs at a near all-pro level then they can but pretty much put anybody between Wood and Glenn and the left side will be ok.

Here is the answer that seems to shut down these kinds of questions......address with WHO? The bills are going for a youth movement if you have not noticed

Seems to shut down everybody...but the grammar police = "address with WHOM?"

:lol:

To the point: Yep, we are clearly, at many positions, piling up a whole bunch of young guys, each with potential, and asking "who(not whom) wants it more?"

What was Dallas doing cutting him after 1 season and why did the Bills start him 4 times in 2 seasons?

You're so right. No player cut by his first team is ever worth a damn for the rest of his NFL career.

Whoever said that Pears was awful before his injury, is completely misguided.

Pears is not an All Pro, but he gets the job done at RT. If Hairston were healthy and able to participate in camp, then the Bills would have some competition for the starting job.

As for Sanders, I don't see him as anything but a back-up for now.

Relax, Pears will be fine. It's nothing like the time when we had Cornell Green at RT.

I fully agree with this post. In the last 20 or so years, the Bills have fielded all of 2 good RTs (Peters and Jennings). Pears and Hairston are both somewhat above average for any team, and great in comparison to what we have had.

Seems to shut down everybody...but the grammar police = "address with WHOM?"

:lol:

To the point: Yep, we are clearly, at many positions, piling up a whole bunch of young guys, each with potential, and asking "who(not whom) wants it more?"

Funny. I'm wondering why the need, J. from Hemet, to shutdown these types of questions? We have a good number of people that think Pears will be OK, if not fine. I am recalling the Bills Daily assessment at year end which I find to be harsh at times, but others feel Pears isn't good. I'm not sure or sold on him, injury aside.

The better O-line posters may tend toward he's fine? Maybe we need a poll?