Asking for a raise today. Who's got tips?

The Big Cat

That sounds nice but it doesn't make any sense in application. If you tell them what you WILL do, then they're going to ask you why you aren't already doing it, and then tell you they'll consider giving you a raise after you've done it. Anybody can talk about what they WILL do. I'll increase revenues 5 fold and slash expenses in half, and all you have to do is give me a 20% raise today!

Anyone seeking a raise needs to make their case for why their current responsibilities go above and beyond the job description. How they've added value which supports a raise. Basically, you need to prove that you're performing at 10 and being paid at 6.

If you prove what you CAN do and HAVE done, you can then ask for a raise based on those things along with what you plan to do with the skills and results you've already shown.

Anyone can talk about what they will do ... but if one has proven that he is capable (i.e. - walked the walk), I think they will take his vision much more seriously and also realize the value he brings.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's my annual review.

Pres/CEO/Guy with his name on the door is conducting them this year.

I've taken on a lot more responsibility in the past year, both client and otherwise. I'm looking for any advice for how to ask for what I want: more money.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It's always a good idea, when asking for a raise, to make a list of your accomplishments. If I may suggest a few:

I successfully divided by zero.

I leveraged my core competencies to create new paradigms in the cloud.

Beat Chuck Norris at arm wrestling.

Exuded an aura of love and happiness wherever I went, making others people effective at their jobs.

Named "most likely to succeed" in the recent Papal Conclave.

Before you ask for a raise, review your tax records from last year and look up the brackets for next year. Calculate your new tax burden with your raise

If you're straddling a tax brackets you may end up bringing home less after a raise

Before you ask for a raise, review your tax records from last year and look up the brackets for next year. Calculate your new tax burden with your raise

If you're straddling a tax brackets you may end up bringing home less after a raise

Never, ever, ever fear the tax man. If that's the case just jeep your income below $10k. Then you won't pay ANY taxes. :thumbdown:

If you prove what you CAN do and HAVE done, you can then ask for a raise based on those things along with what you plan to do with the skills and results you've already shown.

Anyone can talk about what they will do ... but if one has proven that he is capable (i.e. - walked the walk), I think they will take his vision much more seriously and also realize the value he brings.

Noone will give you dick based on what you say you can do. As Jauronimo pointed out, that speaks to a prior lack of effort and unwillingness, and leads to the question, "Well, why haven't you?" Raises are always based on prior, quanifiable performance.

Promotions, on the other hand, can utilize a very detailed business model outlining what you'll do in your new role if given the opportunity. Still though, those usually depend largely on top end performance in you rcurent and prior positions.

Noone will give you dick based on what you say you can do. As Jauronimo pointed out, that speaks to a prior lack of effort and unwillingness, and leads to the question, "Well, why haven't you?" Raises are always based on prior, quanifiable performance.

Promotions, on the other hand, can utilize a very detailed business model outlining what you'll do in your new role if given the opportunity. Still though, those usually depend largely on top end performance in you rcurent and prior positions.

Perhaps I was thinking more of promotions, which, in my experience, have always been about presenting a plan of action/vision in addition to letting past results speak for themselves. In my working environment, as stated earlier, raises are pretty much rubber-stamped. I've been on both ends of getting and giving promotions and I can say with certainty that the vision has always been the most important part.

But for a raise, I have to agree that it's about past performance, for the most part.

Never, ever, ever fear the tax man. If that's the case just jeep your income below $10k. Then you won't pay ANY taxes. :thumbdown:

Exactly. I'm happy to pay taxes. It means I made money. Would I like to pay less? Sure, but I also wouldn't want to pay none.

It depends on the profession he is in. In logistics and in many areas you can argue that they will ask why you have not done these things prior. And it depends on a lot of things. At a job I had I gained authority, power, and a team quickly and it grew. I used this to my advantage saying that each step I take with the company I continue to knock balls out of the park and look forward to continuing to do that as I got up to a higher supply chain position that was 2 or 3 levels above me. That I had noticed things, as well, was important. I may just be arrogant, but I use an interview for a job to interview the interviewer. I use a job performance evaluation as a tool to provide feedback in a positive way vs. get a promotion or raise. So, when I explained to them that they were wasting fuel moving trailers all the way around the building to a lot that was remote vs. leave them the road they seemed puzzled but embraced the idea.

Do not be afraid of your bosses. Tell them what your new position will offer, do not just ask for money. I put my balls out there on stuff like this, get them knocked around a lot to for it. But, when I go to a review I go in with nothing to lose. I ask for a bit of a title change, too. Maybe go "Cardboard Box Assember" to "Cardboard Box Technicition" to "Paper Products Technician"....

When you're done, make like a fetus and head out.

If you could only imagine like having a perfect interview then getting up and just acting stupid. Touch every wall in the room without a word and walk out. When you stand and shake hands, lick your hand first then hold it out to shake. Yeah... fun.

Thanks guys. Just the kind of perspective I was looking for, jokes and all.

Heading in in a few minutes.

Standby

Reminds me of when Rodney Dangerfield went in for heart surgery. He said "if all goes well I'll be out in a week. If it doesn't go well I'll be out in about 20 minutes." Here's hoping your meeting lasts as long as possible. :thumbsup:

I've never once asked for a raise. If your boss doesn't see your value and give you a bonus/raise based on that, then why not just look for a new job? That said, I almost always get decent raises and have had many promotions throughout the year. I subscribe to the "actions speak louder than words" camp.