Met Doug Marrone this past Sunday

I was at a fundraiser in the Bronx this past weekend and DOug Marone was hanging out talking shop. If you weren't a Bills fan you would have not even noticed he was there. A few things of note: He is going to use Spiller more this year (which we kind of already knew), he said Manuel is competing for the starting job and both have shined at times. He really admires Manuels leadership qualities as he's been working with the WR"s and contantly seeking veteran advice. He says Da'Rick Roger could be a good player in this league but he doesn't think he'll make and impact this year. He also said he thinks Woods and Alonso will be very good pro's. I'll told him I was from NYC but I go to every opening day he responded: "Oh, so you're going to the New England game?....It's gonna be a war!!!" Then he walked away. Fired up for opening day!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprising to me that Marrone would be so open about his projection on Rogers (or any player).

The comment makes sense; Da'Rick has essentially played one year of college ball for a major program, and one for Podunk U. Great tools to work with but raw and much to learn.

I was at a fundraiser in the Bronx this past weekend and DOug Marone was hanging out talking shop. If you weren't a Bills fan you would have not even noticed he was there. A few things of note: He is going to use Spiller more this year (which we kind of already knew), he said Manuel is competing for the starting job and both have shined at times. He really admires Manuels leadership qualities as he's been working with the WR"s and contantly seeking veteran advice. He says Da'Rick Roger could be a good player in this league but he doesn't think he'll make and impact this year. He also said he thinks Woods and Alonso will be very good pro's. I'll told him I was from NYC but I go to every opening day he responded: "Oh, so you're going to the New England game?....It's gonna be a war!!!" Then he walked away. Fired up for opening day!

Hands down my favorite part of your encounter.

What my exact question was "I've read a lot of people regarding Rogers as a top talent. How has he been and will he be an impacy player this year". His answer was "he's working hard but we have a deep WR corp. Not sure he'll be an impact player this year but he has a chance to be good". Not really damning. It was also a very very casual event, so it seemed he was just shooting the sh-t.

The comment makes sense; Da'Rick has essentially played one year of college ball for a major program, and one for Podunk U. Great tools to work with but raw and much to learn.

Hands down my favorite part of your encounter.

This was mine too. He talked to me and my friends. One is Giants fan and he asked he remove his Giants hat to take a picture! I thought was awesome. Spoke to him about non football stuff too, but the last comment was amazing. He walked away, patted me on the back and just said..."It's gonna be war!!!!" with a huge smile on his face. Guy is big too. My friends who werent Bills fans,which was all but one, said that they'd love to have him as a coach. He was amazingly cool

If Rogers can't make an impact this year, can we sneak him onto the PS? A number of teams tried to sign him after the draft, but that's a lot different than signing him right before the season and granting him a roster spot at the expense of someone you've watched practice for months.

I don't see that happening. The guy drew interest from nearly half the teams in the league. He'd have to look terrible during camp and preseason, and if that's the case they'd just cut him.

If Rogers can't make an impact this year, can we sneak him onto the PS? A number of teams tried to sign him after the draft, but that's a lot different than signing him right before the season and granting him a roster spot at the expense of someone you've watched practice for months.

This was my thought. If Rogers does not seperate himself in training camp from the other fringe guys, the Bills will try to PS him. Having said that i heard 14 other teams tried to sign him as a FA. Brings up an interesting question. Lets hope he has a great training camp and preseason.

I thought of that too. What a huge risk. The first team that loses a #2 or #3 and he's poached. He needs to make the final cut unless he shows zippo in camp.

Man, they are really thin in experience at WR behind Stevie.

Brad Smith has experience but should be cut.

Easley technically has 3 yrs, but not really

Graham is going in to year two

The rest are rookies.

Stop cutting Brad Smith. The guy is a ST beast and (unlike previous WRs kept on the roster just for ST) is actually playable at the WR position.