Johnny Football: Drinking problem?

After a one month hiatus, Peter King is back at work with his NFL columns and the main story in this weeks MMQB is a close look at the Johnny Manziel fiasco at the Manning Passing Academy.

There were 1200 high school QBs at the camp and Johnny was supposed to be the celebrity instructor for a group of them.

Long story short, on Thursday night Johnny was seen out drinking and showed up late at the Manning camp on Friday morning. Friday night he was not seen in the bars but he was an unexcused no-show at the camp on Saturday. He later told the Mannings that he wasn't feeling well.

At that point he was told to go home.

Saturday night back home in college station and Johnny is spotted out in a bar.

Sunday his Dad tells the media that he left the Manning camp because he was "recovering from dehydration" conveniently avoiding the question of how he became dehydrated.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130715/johnny-manziel-aaron-hernandez-monday-morning-quarterback/?xid=nl_siextra

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So do we change his nickname to Johnny Walker?

Red or Black?

Getting kicked out of the Manning Camp <see 'Shield' choir boys> for 'conduct unbecoming' amid the myriad of current negative press is very likely going to have consequences going forward on many fronts. From the NCAA's alleged entitlement institution to League Top Cop Roger Goodell, the time has come for a headline grabbing Poster Boy to feel the heat and take the rap in dramatic, sweeping rule changes, up to and including lifetime ban for scholarships and invitation to the pros. The entitlement axium has far reaching tentacles, including local Law Enforcement. IMO, (ok, my hope is..) we've reached the breaking point of a failed concept and radical changes have to be instituted to ebb the flow. How many businesses hire convicts?

I can't think of a better icon for such drastic change than the 'Johnny Football Rule'

He is a kid who clearly has some growing up to do. He better do it in a hurry if he wants to play in the NFL after this year when he will be eligible I believe. Personally, if this is the level of maturity he is displaying (and this is not the first incident) then an NFL team would be stupid to spend a high draft choice for someone who is supposed to be a leader. He either needs to turn it around fast, or be advised to play another year in college.

Maybe they heard about his drinking problem. Somebody knows what happened, but to the fans this is like the chicken and the egg.

He was not eligible for the draft.

Holy schitt...a 20 year old drinking in bars....DOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!

Problem is when a guy knows he has the spotlight on him and continues to make bad choices. This is now several drinking related stories... And perhaps worse than being asked to leave is showing up at the bars that night. As someone else said - it's not so much a drinking issue as a thinking issue at that point. Thinking issues are not good for the face of your franchise and a leader of men.

Manziel may have a Thinking problem that's an even bigger concern. Time to grow up Johnny. Just ask Todd Marinovich.

I don't know why, but Marinovich came to mind as well when I read the story. I don't recall him being a douche at USC but he certainly was as a pro.

Holy schitt...a 20 year old drinking in bars....DOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!

I hear he also has a problem with nailing lots of hot, young college girls.

I don't know why, but Marinovich came to mind as well when I read the story. I don't recall him being a douche at USC but he certainly was as a pro.

I have an old friend who used to smoke a lot of pot at USC with him, but Marinovich's biggest problem in life was his father. Dude just cracked under the pressure. Manziel hasn't felt anything close to what Marinovich did.

Red or Black?

Getting kicked out of the Manning Camp <see 'Shield' choir boys> for 'conduct unbecoming' amid the myriad of current negative press is very likely going to have consequences going forward on many fronts. From the NCAA's alleged entitlement institution to League Top Cop Roger Goodell, the time has come for a headline grabbing Poster Boy to feel the heat and take the rap in dramatic, sweeping rule changes, up to and including lifetime ban for scholarships and invitation to the pros. The entitlement axium has far reaching tentacles, including local Law Enforcement. IMO, (ok, my hope is..) we've reached the breaking point of a failed concept and radical changes have to be instituted to ebb the flow. How many businesses hire convicts?

I can't think of a better icon for such drastic change than the 'Johnny Football Rule'

What is this?

What is this?

?? Really?

It's a rant. You, of all people, should know one when you see one. I don't know Manziel from Adam. But as arguably the most recognized name in NCAAF right now, I'm just hoping against hope his much publicized illegal activity is the camel back breaking straw that creates all new protocol for the privilege of a college scholarship and invitation to the pros.

It's not the drinking here, it's the drinking that made him unable to fulfill a really easy set of responsibilities at what is probably the most important professional opportunity he is going to have that doesn't directly involve his college team. The Manning family event is huge and they are pretty close to NFL royalty. Show up, share some tips on mechanics or whatever, pose for some pics and sign autographs. If you can't do that, you were pretty screwed up the night before. To be unable to see the value in attendance and doing his part really raises red flags. He just lost a couple of million dollars, I am betting. Being the best QB in the draft isn't necessarily the ticket to a top five 1st round contract, as this past year showed.

Obviously the Bills need to scuttle the 2013 season so we can draft Manziel. As for his penchant for drink, we can straighten him out. After all, is there a city that is more about responsible consumption of alcohol than Buffalo? Git'r dun, Doug.

PTR