Eugene Parker and what all NFL teams should do

Radical as it may seem, but when an NFL team finds out one of it's players has signed with this guy, I am suggesting they should bench said player if he is any good. You might as well get used to not having the guy on your team, and why not sooner than later? It would allow the next guy up some valuable playing experience, because he'll need it.

as hard as it is to type this, I am quite confident Jairus Byrd's days as a Bill are in the past. He is now asking to be the highest paid safety in the league.... and that just seems a little extreme. I love the guy, but I never thought he was the best in the game, and I attribute that lofty view of his talents a direct result of his agent.

Edited by Homey D. Clown

I have always hated the fact these agents hype these kids into thinking they are worth more than they are. I trade his butt ASAP and get a quality draft pick for him.

too late now. Should have done that already

It's really easy to blame the agent. In the end it's the players decision to sign the tender or deal presented to him. It's the agents job to get the most money possible for their clients and the club's job to get the cheapest deal. Byrd not getting signed is a utter failure on both parts.

I will say that Byrd needs to look at some history. It's my opinion that Players who play hard ball tend to leave bad tastes in their clubs and other clubs mouths. Players that wait until after training camp to sign the tender also in my opinion have a higher percentage of risk for injury than other players because they are out of shape.

I am not sure what Byrd is worth to the club. Like Andy Levitre they obviously think he is worth less and are willing to move on. I know the Bills have alot of cap space but they also have other players to sign soon like Eric Wood, Spiller, etc...

I personally think both those players are worth alot more than Byrd.

too late now. Should have done that already

What bothers me about all of it - the franchise tag - is that the player can sit out and then show up week ten and start getting a paycheck. The franchise tag SHOULD work so that the player either shows up for offseason training (camp, at least) or he has to sit the year WITHOUT pay. I mean, the Bills should have the leverage here, but it seems to me that if Byrd sits out until week 10, then shows up out of shape and without a clue as to his new scheme, he'll be making half million dollars a week to be what - un-playable? I'd just bench him to prove a point, and then I'd threaten to do it again the following year. Of course, as it was mentioned above, the Bills need to know when they can sign a guy and when they can't, and get value for him (i.e. - a trade) WHILE THEY CAN.

You can't do what the O.P. suggests, but.....................

if the player who declares for the draft already has Eugene Parker for an agent, I would seriously consider passing on him.

and don't bother giving me that...."they all do it, they all play hardball" B.S.

Agents can work diligently to get the best deal for their clients, we see it time and again.

Parker's established M.O. is to holdout without negotiations..........................screw him.

nothing illegal about sitting a guy.Tell him you want to keep him healthy for his next team. Tell him how much Parker cost him for not reporting for 10 weeks. He will not make that up. I think these guys have just gotten an additude and don't have the heart in the city and the game. Just the money honey. Sure the job span is short. How many millions do you need to make enough for life? Joe D is an example of a true player. Mr. Byrd be your own man. Not Parkers.

Honestly, I like the bills approach. They have said they are willing to pay him top 4-5 money, but not the top, considering he hasn't played in this D scheme yet. So, Parker wants to play hardball? No problem. It would be cheaper to tag him this year and next. And no one is going to come knocking with 2 first round picks for Byrd. So he doesn't want to play? Enjoy not playing for 2 years. Really, The bills are fine in their current position. Byrd has to decide if he would like to play over the next 2 years and prolong his career beyond that(baring injury).

I'm really not getting the holding out for being the highest paid safety. If Begnini's report is true, and the Bills offered top 4-5 money, I have a hard time putting much blame at the team's feet. To be holding out for almost $10m per is ridiculous.

What bothers me about all of it - the franchise tag - is that the player can sit out and then show up week ten and start getting a paycheck. The franchise tag SHOULD work so that the player either shows up for offseason training (camp, at least) or he has to sit the year WITHOUT pay. I mean, the Bills should have the leverage here, but it seems to me that if Byrd sits out until week 10, then shows up out of shape and without a clue as to his new scheme, he'll be making half million dollars a week to be what - un-playable? I'd just bench him to prove a point, and then I'd threaten to do it again the following year. Of course, as it was mentioned above, the Bills need to know when they can sign a guy and when they can't, and get value for him (i.e. - a trade) WHILE THEY CAN.

giving up 4-5 million and being out of football a year isnt really great for byrd either. hence most guys play under the tag unless there is a serious issue.

It seems that the player has more rights than the team. If a player DECIDES NOT TO PLAY the team should have the same right to DECIDE NOT TO PAY. I'm all for player rights, but this is extreme and is hurting the team and it's fan base. I'd love to see what kind of legal action can be taken against a player by John Q public that has paid $$ for season tickets/merchandise etc and then the player chooses not to play and therefore effects the individual that already bought tickets thinking that player was part of the team...? Precedent making? probably, but maybe these pompous ass players, agents (and teams) would get their **** together!

Radical as it may seem, but when an NFL team finds out one of it's players has signed with this guy, I am suggesting they should bench said player if he is any good. You might as well get used to not having the guy on your team, and why not sooner than later? It would allow the next guy up some valuable playing experience, because he'll need it.

as hard as it is to type this, I am quite confident Jairus Byrd's days as a Bill are in the past. He is now asking to be the highest paid safety in the league.... and that just seems a little extreme. I love the guy, but I never thought he was the best in the game, and I attribute that lofty view of his talents a direct result of his agent.

I think the best thing i've heard out of the entire Byrd saga is to get him a one year contract & trade him for a pair of number one picks & then trade those for next years first round & get Clowney for our D !!

GO Bills

nothing illegal about sitting a guy.Tell him you want to keep him healthy for his next team. Tell him how much Parker cost him for not reporting for 10 weeks. He will not make that up. I think these guys have just gotten an additude and don't have the heart in the city and the game. Just the money honey. Sure the job span is short. How many millions do you need to make enough for life? Joe D is an example of a true player. Mr. Byrd be your own man. Not Parkers.

That's not what the OP is suggesting. He's saying as soon as a guy sigsn on with Parker, bench him--even, I assume, if it's a rookie. It's ridiculous plan.

It seems that the player has more rights than the team. If a player DECIDES NOT TO PLAY the team should have the same right to DECIDE NOT TO PAY. I'm all for player rights, but this is extreme and is hurting the team and it's fan base. I'd love to see what kind of legal action can be taken against a player by John Q public that has paid $$ for season tickets/merchandise etc and then the player chooses not to play and therefore effects the individual that already bought tickets thinking that player was part of the team...? Precedent making? probably, but maybe these pompous ass players, agents (and teams) would get their **** together!

uhh...the team doesn't have to pay him if he decides not to play...

That's not what the OP is suggesting. He's saying as soon as a guy sigsn on with Parker, bench him--even, I assume, if it's a rookie. It's ridiculous plan.

uhh...the team doesn't have to pay him if he decides not to play...

the threads have been bad, they will only get worse. officially the next month or so should be radio silence from both sides at this point, and people are going to freak out daily about each and every practice snap missed.