How Long Have You Been A Bills Fan And When Did You Know?

H2o

I started to find myself looking for Bills games on TV after seeing them play in 1989. I was 12 years old and had liked the Raiders because of Bo Jackson and the Eagles because of Randall Cunningham up until that point. I loved the uniforms, I liked Jim Kelly/Bruce Smith/Andre Reed/Thurman Thomas, and I thought to myself I really like the team. I remember how crushed I was by the defeat they took against Cleveland in the playoffs that year (little did I know at the time what lied ahead :) ). I still remember Clay Matthews Sr. picking off Jim Kelly at the 1 yard line with just a few seconds on the clock to seal the deal for the Browns, ugh. It seemed that the loss had solidified my fanhood for some strange reason and from that point on the Bills have been my team. My grandfather was a Minnesota Vikings fan since they had joined the league and had a genuine sympathy for me through the SB losses because he had experienced a similar fate with his Vikings. He once told me, "Son, players will come and go. Coaches will come and go. Seasons will come and go. But one day you will look back on all of those times, good and bad, and you will be glad you had the opportunity to see them all. You will sit around, tell your kids the stories of the players you have seen wear that uniform, and you will realize why we are all fans." 24 years later I find myself telling my kids stories about when the Bills were a great team, how they once came back from a 35-3 deficit in the 3rd quarter to win a playoff game as well as other memorable moments (some not so good, lol), and I realize why I am still a fan. :thumbsup:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started watching football around 1990. I was about 10. Remember when the Bills lost that first superbowl. The next year they made it again and I though," Hey this team made it again." After another loss I watched another football season pass and yet again the Bills were in the Superbowl. This time I was routing and hoping that they would get it. I was young but felt for them and felt like they deserved this one. Lost again. The next season I watched another football season pass and starting routing for them...wanted to see them win a superbowl. Low and behold...they made it to the superbowl again. It was the first time I was passionate about a football game. I needed to see this team win one. 20 years later I'm still waiting and have become obsessed with the Bills.

But the time I actually knew I was a fan was when they lost the third one. I felt a passion about the team that I just needed them to win a superbowl. If they do in my lifetime I think I will break everything around me and punch everyone in the face!!!!!!!!!

My grandparents lived in West Seneca, and in 1973 I watched the game when OJ broke the 2000 yard barrier. From that day on I was hooked. I lived in Rochester at the time and used to listen to the games on the stereo in the living room when they were not televised.

Started following the team on radio and sometimes TV in 1967. I would have been 9 then. Went to my first game in 1969, season opener vs the SB champ Jets. Went away to college and traveled around until 1990 when i was back in WNY and started going again. Bought my seasons in 2003 when keeping the team in Buffalo started becoming an issue. I wanted to do my part.

PTR

I'm 32. Been a Bills fan in a Bills family from the beginning but I never "KNEW" I was a Bills fan until I was about 7 and my dad took me to a game and the mild mannered accountant became a screaming, raging maniac who got into "semi" fights with people who opposed his views, tailgated for hours and finally was himself for the only times ever in our lives. I am now a season ticket holder and can't wait to take my daughters when they are ready.

1980 once I realized there was such a thing as football, my parents didn't watch sports so I wasn't aware. I was instantly a Bills fan because I live in WNY and they are our team, regional loyalty baby! It's like being patriotic for your country but it's your home team instead.

I vaguely remember the Bills of the All American Conference. In 1960 I was sticking pins at a bowling alley above Norbans on bailey ave. near Kensington ave. It was slow so I picked up the Currier Express and the headline was something like Ralph Wilson brings AFL football franchise to Buffalo. my first game was the 1964 championship game against SanDiego. I swear I could hear Keith Lincoln's ribs crack on the Stratton hit. thank You Mr. Wilson, he picked Buffalo over Miami for his franchise. thanks for all the joy and pain through the years. It's been pretty painfully lately but I truly love the Bills with all the good and bad that comes with them.

I remember my dad taking me to the parade when the bills arrived, hating theBOSTON patriots with Gino cappelletti, warren rasa and the drafting of richie lucas, the first preseason game I saw had butch bird and Pete gogolak in it. I guess I was a fan from the outset

I started in '64 as my name indicates.

My first inkling of what being a Bills fan would be like should have come when I saw this game on TV, which is the earliest game I can remember: http://www.pro-footb...96701010buf.htm

This was the AFL championship game, and the winner played in Super Bowl I

The Bills played the Chiefs 3 times that year, and the visiting team won every game. Interestingly, aside from a tie with San Diego and one 7 point game, every other game that year was a blowout.

Edited by Bills Fan since '64

back when Wegmann's was a little smaller, I remember seeing this red helmet in one of those gumball machines deals, for whatever reason I really liked the charging Buffalo, that was 1986, I had no idea that that was the closest team to where I grew up. Every week I would try to get that stupid piece of plastic, one day I saw that helmet on TV, never liked another team from that point on.

I've been a fan since day 1. My dad was a charter member of the Buffalo Bills Booster Club and I am probably the only card carrying member of the club in PA. I remember the heart break of losing to KC and missing out on Superbowl 1. I remember a game atht e Rockpile against the Bengals (late 60's), sitting in the "covered" endzone and having 4" of snow on top of our blankets and not being able to see the scoreboard. I was at the first game at Rich stadium sitting in the upper deck and watching buses roling into the parking lot in the 3rd quarter. Parking, etc. was a disaster for a while for sure! Hope springs eternal though, and I look forward to celebrating our first Superbowl win.

I've been a fan since day 1. My dad was a charter member of the Buffalo Bills Booster Club and I am probably the only card carrying member of the club in PA. I remember the heart break of losing to KC and missing out on Superbowl 1. I remember a game atht e Rockpile against the Bengals (late 60's), sitting in the "covered" endzone and having 4" of snow on top of our blankets and not being able to see the scoreboard. I was at the first game at Rich stadium sitting in the upper deck and watching buses roling into the parking lot in the 3rd quarter. Parking, etc. was a disaster for a while for sure! Hope springs eternal though, and I look forward to celebrating our first Superbowl win.

I was at the at Cincy snow game too. Great memories!