fwiw - Ravens sportswriter assessment of 2013 Bills

merlin

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills are a blank slate right now. Nothing other than some players are the same from before. The odds are we won't contend. What else can one say?

PTR

It's the dead time right now. Writers have to do something this time of the year

I think you're being a bit harsh, honestly.

While wins have been hard to come by, full-on blowouts have been equally rare.

Yes, perhaps.. I meant its been money in the bank we WON'T have a winning record in the Division. When WAS the last time? '99?? I mean it's only 6 games a year. Shouldn't there be a law of averages or something that says your gonna win at least 4 games out of 6 once in every 5 years?

The Bills are going to be different at the most important "positions" on the team -- HC and QB -- and they'll have a completely new scheme on defense. Anyone predicting what they'll look like on the field at this point is just wasting time.

A 2 out of 10? Ouch!

Granted, no one really knows what to expect out of the Bills this season and the author is likely correct that we'll still be feeling our way in week 4. But, so will they IMO. Has any team had more defections this off season than Bmore? Critical elements of their success the last few seasons are elsewhere now, so everybody will see how well Ozzie has been planning for this eventuality. Personally, I wasn't all that taken with them. Their 'Great' defense was built on legend that didn't really exist lately and even WE scored at will against them a couple years back.

Perhaps in the Nation's eyes, this will be a 2out of 10. But I like our chances of winning, nonetheless.

Defending champs against a team with a team that hasn't made the playoffs since 1999, with a rookie HC, rookie QB and many holes... AND the article is probably a little biased towards their team... you can't expect much higher, imo.

I don't agree with this statement though: "and Williams had just 10.5 sacks."

Only 10.5? Since when was that considered a low number? Especially when the team as a whole only had 36.

When you're the $100million man, you have higher expectations.

someone should inform him that our rookie HC, rookie OC, rookie qb, and rookie WRs all add up to no one having tape on us, and not a group of guys that may have growing pains.

never mind that these players and coaches have no film out right now. what you should keep in mind is that a good many of these coaches and young players have not been a part of getting debacled for the past 13 years and they just might respond in a hostile manner to everyone telling them how much they suck before they ever even take the field. i'm really hoping these guys all have a mighty big chip on their shoulder.

Football Outsiders did a study a couple yrs ago showing the division thing to be a myth. That is the % of upsets is no different. Of course it gets perpetuated by the media bringing it up every time division upsets happen; but no such reference when a 14-0 Packers team loses to a lousy Chiefs team.

As for 2 of 10 - is that the likelyhood of the Ravens losing or the sex appeal? If the former it has to be higher than that just due to being a road game. If the latter, I'm sure CBS will concur and send Brent Jones & one of their worst announcing teams.

Football Outsiders did a study a couple yrs ago showing the division thing to be a myth. That is the % of upsets is no different. Of course it gets perpetuated by the media bringing it up every time division upsets happen; but no such reference when a 14-0 Packers team loses to a lousy Chiefs team.

As for 2 of 10 - is that the likelyhood of the Ravens losing or the sex appeal? If the former it has to be higher than that just due to being a road game. If the latter, I'm sure CBS will concur and send Brent Jones & one of their worst announcing teams.

Looks like the rating is based on degree of difficulty. Overall I'd say it's a pretty favorable assessment of the Bills, actually, and it seems like that low number is based more on it being the rookie year for some very key players as well as the coaching staff.

Totally fair assessment.

First time head coach, rookie and/or Kolb playing QB

vs.

Reigning Super Bowl champs.

vs. 2012 complete losers at HC, OC, DC, and QB.

I'd like to think this 1.5 on writer's difficulty scale becomes an 8.5 on their ride home from Buffalo.

Totally fair assessment.

First time head coach, rookie and/or Kolb playing QB

vs.

Reigning Super Bowl champs.

Thanks for the half glass of perspective .

I just hope we learn something from them.

Sadly, EXCEPT for Buffalo vs their Division..

tis sad but true

When you're the $100million man, you have higher expectations.

i hate stats 10.5 sacks. Did folks watch him play all season or not ?

Much higher expectations. regardless of Wannastached

vs. 2012 complete losers at HC, OC, DC, and QB.

I'd like to think this 1.5 on writer's difficulty scale becomes an 8.5 on their ride home from Buffalo.

I expect us to win all the same

A 2 out of 10? Ouch!

Granted, no one really knows what to expect out of the Bills this season and the author is likely correct that we'll still be feeling our way in week 4. But, so will they IMO. Has any team had more defections this off season than Bmore? Critical elements of their success the last few seasons are elsewhere now, so everybody will see how well Ozzie has been planning for this eventuality. Personally, I wasn't all that taken with them. Their 'Great' defense was built on legend that didn't really exist lately and even WE scored at will against them a couple years back.

Perhaps in the Nation's eyes, this will be a 2out of 10. But I like our chances of winning, nonetheless.

Keep in mind its a home game for Baltimore I would say the game is either going to be really easy or difficult. Bills are such a wildcard with that defense and with EJ at QB.

Keep in mind its a home game for Baltimore I would say the game is either going to be really easy or difficult. Bills are such a wildcard with that defense and with EJ at QB.

Not unless we've secretly swapped homes in the off-season

The fact that the game is played at home and that the Ravens are the SB champ i think gives the Bills a chance. The Bills are going to want to beat the Ravens a little bit extra i think.

The fourth week is enough time for the guys to have played together some. if the coaching is right this game should be when we start to see what this team can do.

I give it a 50/50 shot. Just like pretty much every game in the NFL.

A fair assessment of the Bills. They're like a box of chocolates.

But I think the writer will be surprised at how far the Ravens will have fallen with all of their off-season losses. Still might be enough to lose to the Bills, but planning that repeat parade might be way premature.