Most Overrated Player

Unit - LB's. Yes I know they are regarded as the worst unit but they are so bad they are still overrated

Player - Stevie - He is a very good #2 but no team game plans to stop him. Even Mario, KW, and Dareus are schemed against

All time - Moorman, Conlan, Talley, Levy, Levitre

Your Levy call is interesting. He took tons of talent to the biggest game 4 times and was terribly out coached. He was a great motivator but not a great X and O guy IMO.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an easy one: CJ Spiller. He's the only player on the team that people continuously talk up and when they do so they speak of him like he's Adrian Peterson. Guy has to perform in a full time roll for a least two seasons before I put him in that kind of company and the fact remains that he split time last year and was stuck behind Freddie before that.

Ray Lewis

http://sports.yahoo....-145100374.html

I know he's not a Bill, but this is a more interesting tangent. Funny article too - the writer starts off declaring himself the objective voice of reason & devolves to a raging fanboy by the end.

Ray was embarrassingly slow his last season, I would have felt bad for him but lying to police in a murder investigation is kind of unforgivable. He was definitely a great leader, just a poor player. In his prime he was amazing. I think the Ravens would have been a better team with Ray on the sideline doing his cheerleading thing and a young guy that could cover AND tackle out there.

Easley is funny--a WR wtihout a catch. But he's a scrub, not really a player.

Byrd is the best player on this team, save for pehaps CJ.

Has to be Mario. Needlessly overpaid for him (coming off injury, former team didn't want him/much better without him, no bidding war) and he was the centerpice of a defense that was no better (awful) with him than without. Throw in that he was whining about a rookie benchwarmer manhandling in in game 1 and he is the current clubhouse leader for most over rated Bill.

Hindsight at it's finest. He would have a giant contract the second left Buffalo by some other team. And you would have been on here bashing the Bills for being cheap for letting him leave.

I do agree he is probably the choice for most overrated given his price tag. But he was averaging a sack/ game before he got hurt his last season in Houston. Who's a better DC - Phillips or Wanny? Williams has a lot to prove but to act like he won't have gotten mega bucks from someone besides the Bills is laughable.

This is an easy one: CJ Spiller. He's the only player on the team that people continuously talk up and when they do so they speak of him like he's Adrian Peterson. Guy has to perform in a full time roll for a least two seasons before I put him in that kind of company and the fact remains that he split time last year and was stuck behind Freddie before that.

i think you have to let him have the chance to show you he can't be that good before you call him overrated. he had a lot less carries than most of the top backs in the league last year and had that disgusting ypc average. i know you can't just prorate the ypc by the average carries of the top backs in the league to see what he would do with it, and i see where you are coming from. but i think the jury may still be out on this one.

On this board, it would be Gilmore by far. This Imo, could change but he was not a good player last season. We can pretend that he was, but is just ain't so. If he stays the same, he will be yet another squandered top 10 pick on a defensive back. And due to the rule changes, it is unlikely that he will ever be good enough to justify throwing away such an early draft selection.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Hands down Byrd, while being a good safety he certainly hasnt shown the elite or best defender stuff that people claim.

i really thought that byrd had evolved into a very solid, all around, complete safety. he is a sure tackler and has great anticipation and ball skills. in the right scheme with the right talent around him, he's in the conversation for top 5 at his position.

On this board, it would be Gilmore by far. This Imo, could change but he was not a good player last season. We can pretend that he was, but is just ain't so. If he stays the same, he will be yet another squandered top 10 pick n a defensive back. And due to the rule changes, it is unlikely that he will ever be good enough to justify throwing away such an early draft selection.

i liked gilmore, but he was very uneven last year. did he have more reception yards against him or penalty yards?

and i always swear at the tv when the bills pick dbs high in the draft. seems like i swear a lot.

On this board, it would be Gilmore by far. This Imo, could change but he was not a good player last season. We can pretend that he was, but is just ain't so. If he stays the same, he will be yet another squandered top 10 pick n a defensive back. And due to the rule changes, it is unlikely that he will ever be good enough to justify throwing away such an early draft selection.

I know how you feel about drafting DBs but I thought despite some struggles in a few games, he did amazing for being left out on an island the vast majority of the time in a very poor defensive system.

It's in our best interest to see him do well; let's hope for continued improvement. Everyone around him says he is ready to take it to the next level. As it stands he has had a lot of success when you really look at his targets and the matchups. I have a good link I can share (it ran on this board last week) if you're interested.

I know how you feel about drafting DBs but I thought despite some struggles in a few games, he did amazing for being left out on an island the vast majority of the time in a very poor defensive system.

It's in our best interest to see him do well; let's hope for continued improvement. Everyone around him says he is ready to take it to the next level. As it stands he has had a lot of success when you really look at his targets and the matchups. I have a good link I can share (it ran on this board last week) if you're interested.

He was no revis, but that's a pretty unrealistic expectation for a rookie in a really inconsistent defense. I agree for the situation he showed above average/good production and a lot of promise. It's not fair to chalk him up as an obvious all pro like some want to, but there's plenty of reason to be optimistic about the pick..., this coming from someone that wasnt sold on the pick til very late in the process and even then leaned towards "I'm ok with it" and not "this is THE guy to get"

Based on the fans point of view, if have to say its a VERY close toe between Freddy and K. Williams. Both were good, no great but good for a few years, but both are getting too old to produce and continue to stay healthy. Both have had some tough seasons, mauled by injuries, yet fans still think these guys are somehow relevant in the NFL. They aren't. They aren't even relevant on this team anymore.

i think Chan and his "winded" comments ruined what people think of CJ. Chan really hindered his ability and playing time last year.

I specifically remember the Miami game on Thursday night. CJ almost single handedly took the offense from 20 to 20. As soon as they get into the red zone, Chan pulls him out. Pretty sure there was 12 plays in the red zone and CJ wasn't in for a single play. I wanted to throw up.

You're letting your DB bias and his slow start cloud your perspective. Sure he struggled early but in the last 10 or so games he played lights out.

Sometimes you just have to be willing to admit you were wrong. I generally agree with your point of view in regards to drafting DBs early but Gilmore looked fantastic in the 2nd half of last year while Dareus - who I thought was the best player in the draft in 2011 - looked horrible.

And if Pettine's D is anything like the Jets then having a guy who can cover man to man like Gilmore did last year opens up all kinds of options for the rest of the D. I'm not usually a fan of drafting DBs early but I'm excited about Gillmore and anybody who's actually watching him play with unclouded eyes should be too.

You're letting your DB bias and his slow start cloud your perspective. Sure he struggled early but in the last 10 or so games he played lights out.

Sometimes you just have to be willing to admit you were wrong. I generally agree with your point of view in regards to drafting DBs early but Gilmore looked fantastic in the 2nd half of last year while Dareus - who I thought was the best player in the draft in 2011 - looked horrible.

And if Pettine's D is anything like the Jets then having a guy who can cover man to man like Gilmore did last year opens up all kinds of options for the rest of the D. I'm not usually a fan of drafting DBs early but I'm excited about Gillmore and anybody who's actually watching him play with unclouded eyes should be too.

I gladly admit when I am wrong. Being wrong on this board is not a great fear of mine. I thought Rob Johnson was going to be a great quarterback. And I thought that Trent Edwards was going to be good. We ae not GMs here and will make mistakes. I think this is part of the fun of posting here.

I qualified my post with the words "on this board." Above, posters that I respect are praising him (or so it seems) for how they think he will play. I have no issue with this. But last season he gave up key passes and a slew of costly penalties.

I didn't have a Whitner type meltdown when the selected Gilmore, I wasn't at all happy mind you, but I saw a little of Gilmore in college, and they had spent the big bucks on pass ushers. That said, draft picks really should be judged (imo) on how many games they win for you. If a team loses games, it doesn't really matter if a player is good, or even very good.

One last thing wrt 1st round picks.....As fans, we give them more room, unless they are as bad as Maybin and there is no hope to cling to. Fans are reluctant to admit that a first round pick didn't work out. Who wants to admit to futility? Hey, I am wishing for Dareus to not be a bust as we speak. But again, I am not going to give Gilmore a high rating until he deserves one.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I generally agree with your point of view in regards to drafting DBs early but Gilmore looked fantastic in the 2nd half of last year… I'm excited about Gillmore and anybody who's actually watching him play with unclouded eyes should be too.

From Rotoworld FWIW:

It's a scary thought for No. 1 receivers in the AFC East. Gilmore flashed true shutdown ability over the final 11 games of his rookie year, allowing a 53.5 completion rate on throws into his coverage and not a single touchdown while often shadowing opposing No. 1s.

From Rotoworld FWIW:

It's a scary thought for No. 1 receivers in the AFC East. Gilmore flashed true shutdown ability over the final 11 games of his rookie year, allowing a 53.5 completion rate on throws into his coverage and not a single touchdown while often shadowing opposing No. 1s.

He has talent, and is very strong for a corner. As for the stats above, all I can tell you is that I watch every game. The kid gave up many key first downs and was often penalized at critical times.

I am not trying to say that he will not improve. He was a rookie.

I hope that he can win us some games.