Bills' Top FIve Players are.......

.................Based upon past performance and future potential in either Marrone/Hackett's fast pace West Coast offense or Pettine's highly aggressive, blitz-happy defense, I would have to say:

#5 - DT M. Dareus - His time has come. With a clear head he's ready to dominate.

#4 - CB Gilmore - He has made the leap to shutdown corner.

#3 - FS J. Byrd - The franchise player/Pro Bowl player/ball hawk should have a field day in Pettine's aggressive scheme.

#2 - DE/OLB Mario Williams - Since Pettine will very wisely move him around so that opposing offenses can't key on him he should be a major disruptive force on defense this year.

#1 - RB CJ Spiller - Just too quick for quick. With Marrone/Hackett ready to increase his touches to about 250 this year the stage has been set for Spiller to have a banner year. I expect him to challenge A. Peterson/A. Foster for the most all-purpose yards in the entire league.

Who are your Top Five??

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My top 5 as it sits today would be the same based on the criteria you set of both past performance and potential. I think by years end Kiko will be hard to keep off this list as I am expecting big things from him.

The only questionable one is Dareus, but I think he breaks out this year under Pettine which again fits your criteria.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Kyle Williams has to be in this top five for me. His play is of immeasurable importance. Though he doesn't rack up the stats most people would like to see, Williams presence is a huge factor. He's a dominant player when he attacks gaps and often blows up O lineman disrupting plays. If he stays healthy, K. Williams will be the unsung hero of this defense.

5. Aaron Williams- new position, seemingly suited for his skill set. Looks good in training camp.

4. Stevie Johnson - With a new QB seemingly able to get him the ball, I would like to see what he has.

3. Big Daddy - I agree, he has a clear head, and should break out.

2. CJ Spiller - Already has shown us the potential he has, how much more can he show?

1. Stephon Gillmore - "The Leap" ..and bounds into stardom

Notable absences from the list: Mario Williams - we know what he's got, and his talent should get him on the list alone, however I leaned more heavily on the upside part. Jairus Byrd - great player, I think we've seen the best he can put forth (which is very good from a ballhawk standpoint).

That's a nice topic and a good list. Here are my 5:

5. Stevie Johnson

4. Gilmore

3. Byrd

2. Mario

1. CJ Spiller

honorable mention: Eric Wood, Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus

5. Aaron Williams- new position, seemingly suited for his skill set. Looks good in training camp.

4. Stevie Johnson - With a new QB seemingly able to get him the ball, I would like to see what he has.

2. CJ Spiller - Already has shown us the potential he has, how much more can he show?

Notable absences from the list: Mario Williams - we know what he's got, and his talent should get him on the list alone, however I leaned more heavily on the upside part. Jairus Byrd - great player, I think we've seen the best he can put forth (which is very good from a ballhawk standpoint).

you really have Aaron Williams ahead of Byrd and Mario? I am not trying to criticize but if you had a choice of 1 safety on the team you would really pick Aaron Williams over Byrd? I dont find that hard to believe I find it impossible to believe.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

That's a nice topic and a good list. Here are my 5:

5. Stevie Johnson

4. Gilmore

3. Byrd

2. Mario

1. CJ Spiller

honorable mention: Eric Wood, Kyle Williams, Marcell Dareus

you really have Aaron Williams ahead of Byrd and Mario? I am not trying to criticize but if you had a choice of 1 safety on the team you would really pick Aaron Williams over Byrd? I dont find that hard to believe I find it impossible to believe.

What more do I need to say other than I weighed more heavily on upside, and Byrd has met his potential or has a little more. We know what he is. Not saying he's not a great player at all! :worthy:

What more do I need to say other than I weighed more heavily on upside, and Byrd has met his potential or has a little more. We know what he is. Not saying he's not a great player at all! :worthy:

Then I am confused as you contradict yourself by saying that Spiller has already shown his potential. The topic is the top 5 players on the Bills not the 5 that will improve the most? I actually think that Aaron Williams will do a pretty good job at safety. Byrd is regarded by most as a top 5 safety in the league and by many top 3. Even if he has maxed out his potential (which I am not sure that he has as his last year was his best) he belongs in the top 5 ahead of Aaron Williams.

.................Based upon past performance and future potential in either Marrone/Hackett's fast pace West Coast offense or Pettine's highly aggressive, blitz-happy defense, I would have to say:

#5 - DT M. Dareus - His time has come. With a clear head he's ready to dominate.

#3 - FS J. Byrd - The franchise player/Pro Bowl player/ball hawk should have a field day in Pettine's aggressive scheme.

#2 - DE/OLB Mario Williams - Since Pettine will very wisely move him around so that opposing offenses can't key on him he should be a major disruptive force on defense this year.

#1 - RB CJ Spiller - Just too quick for quick. With Marrone/Hackett ready to increase his touches to about 250 this year the stage has been set for Spiller to have a banner year. I expect him to challenge A. Peterson/A. Foster for the most all-purpose yards in the entire league.

Who are your Top Five??

What's so exciting, to me anyway, is that your list is a good one, HOWEVER, one could argue seeing, by year's end, Wood, Woods, Glenn, Stevie Johnson, Manuel, K. Williams, and Alonzo on there, too! That suggests there are a lot of young, talented guys on this team ready to SHINE!

Here's my list of top 5:

5. Mario Williams- would be higher except he's already a dn good player in the league. Hard to think he can get much better than what he's already produced, but ill say he is up there as one of the top pass rushers in the league this year.

4. Aaron Williams- Refardless of they make the move to Safety or just keep him at CB, he's primed to become something under this new DC.

3. Stevie Johnson- Hard to think he can get much better but he will. Hell make some more catches and more TDs definately. Hopefully it Manuel that gets him the ball, but in the end, its the playcalling and coaches willingness to get the ball into Atevies hands.

2. Stephon Gilmore- Just think of "Gilmore Island" this kid is primed to become one of the best shutdown corners of the league.

1. CJ Spiller- hard to imagine him getting better. He won't actually. Hell play exactly the way we've seen him in his last few years here. The difference is that Marrone won't take away his touches like Chan did. He won pull him inside the 20s, he won't sub in Freddy just because CJ had 3 strait plays. He will use CJ as the feature back with Freddy occasionally subbing in when CJ is "winded". Which won't be nearly as much as Chan said he was. CJ will be in the running for most all purpose yards and rushing yards and if the team is even fighting for a playoff team, it'll be because CJ is up there for the most TDs as well.

Guys that don't make my list and why:

Byrd- because he's already very good. Can't imagine him getting better. And he won't be here anyway. But count on our 2nd and 4th round picks we get for him to do something in about 2 years.

Dareus- He will still be on watch this season. Hell be better than he's been in the red white and blue, but still won't be talked about much around the league. Another year hell be on the list primed for breakout.

Kyle Williams- Because I really don't think he's any good. Which I know probably takes away from any opinion that I've ever had because Kyle is so loved around here. He had a few good years, he's now old, and having injury problems. Mark his career pretty much over.

Aaron Williams....better than Byrd, Mario, Glenn? Aaron Williams a top 5 Bill? I think he'll be much improved, but if he's a top 5, we'll be drafting top 5. True story.

My top 5

5- Stevie- he can get open with the best of them.

4- Mario- we have a DC that can get him going

3- Byrd- one of the headiest players I've seen

2- Spiller- possibly fantasy footballs #1 player

1- Gilmore. I think he's gonna be a superstar.

If A. Williams ends up being a top five player for the Bills this year then we're really going to have a great defense this year. I'll say this, he has really stood out in practice thus far and that may be because he's much better suited to play Safety than CB. Give Pettine and the new coaching staff for recognizing his strengths and weaknesses and putting him in a position where he can excel. He's only been an average CB to this point, but seems to be playing at a much more confident, higher level as a Safety.

He's not better than Byrd at this point, but he's really coming on. I fully expected some to put Byrd at #1 overall.....he's that good!!

I'm excited to see what Pettine does with Mario Williams. I really like the idea of moving him around so that opponents can't key on him and double team him. He likes to rush from the LDE position, but matching him up against a smaller/weaker TE, slower OT or smallish RB is going to give him the best chance to be the most disruptive. It may also free up other guys to get into the backfield for a sack or a tackle behind the LOS.

The Bills moved B. Paup and B. Smith and C. Bennett around for the same reasons back in their heyday and their pass rush was absolutely dominant.

Who are your Top Five??

Williams and esp dareus don't deserve this distinction. Williams was above average once he got the hand straightened out and after being horrible for the first 8 games.dareus was a complete no-show last year. they haven't earned it. Spiller ,Byrd ,Gilmore--good picks. Add Fred and either Kyle or stevie to the list.

My top 5

5- Stevie- he can get open with the best of them.

4- Mario- we have a DC that can get him going

3- Byrd- one of the headiest players I've seen

2- Spiller- possibly fantasy footballs #1 player

1- Gilmore. I think he's gonna be a superstar.

Order may be debatable but these are the guys that would likely start on most teams in the league. Wood and Kyle get honorable mention. Hope to see Glenn, Woods and Manuel in this mix next year.

1. Jairus Byrd

2. CJ Spiller

3. Kyle Williams

4. Stevie Johnson

5. Mario Williams

All of these guys have shown periods of standing out from their peers.

I may be rating Mario too low, but I'm just not feeling it from him yet. He seems talented, but uninspired.

Honorable mentions:

<Edit:> Gilmore - I would not be surprised at al if he was clearly on this list or near the top at the end of the season.

Eric Wood

Robert Woods - The flip of Mario for me. He's shown nothing yet, but I'm feeling it.

Kiko - He's shown nothing yet, but I'm feeling it, though I want to see how "big" he plays with the big boys.

Caveat: Best does not mean most valuable to the Bills.

All of you saying Aaron Williams are crazy!

Edited by Matt in KC

1. Spiller - One of the most electrifying players in the league, potential MVP candidate if Bills make playoffs this year.

2. M. Williams - Like Spiller, Mario is on another level physically and talent wise than most at his position.

3. Byrd - Widely considered to be one of the best safeties in the league, it should tell you a lot that the FO was happy to franchise tag him which means paying him top 5 money.

4. S. Johnson - Three straight 1,000 yd seasons with Fitz as his QB, one of the best route runners in the NFL.

5. Gilmore - More than held his own covering #1's as a rookie. I'm really excited about this guy's future.