Criticism of Pettine from Jets Nation?

An ESPN blurb I picked up via PFT this morning seems to imply criticism of Bills new DC Mike Pettine.

Ironically the criticism is that the Jets defense was not aggressive enough over the last two seasons when Pettine assumed a larger role in the defensive play calling. Considering that the Bills D seemed to be blitz crazy during OTAs and minicamp this offseason, the allegations seem strange to say the least.

But apparently the statistics back up the claims:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/23928/sunday-notes-a-different-brand-of-defense

The statistics don't lie. Here's a breakdown of the Jets' blitz percentage (5+ pass rushers) over the past four seasons, according to ESPN Stats & Information: 52.4 percent in '09 (first in NFL), 44.7 percent in '10 (third), 32.8 percent in '11 (12th) and 34.0 percent in '12 (11th). Detect a trend? In fairness to Pettine, he lost the top corner in football, Darrelle Revis, which may have caused him to become more cautious. Yet when I mentioned that alibi to two players, they shot it down, saying Antonio Cromartie capably replaced Revis as the No. 1 corner. I'll say this: The defense will be fun to watch in 2013.

The piece also mentions Pettine's "mysterious lateral move to become the Bills' DC."

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Rex is to blame for all this. Pettiness have taken the reigns more in the latter 2 seasons, but he must still listen to what Sexy Rexy is spewing at him. The Jets as a whole have become more and more less aggressive under Rex. He is not a good football HC. He may have been a decent to good DC, but well never know because it was the Ravens defense where he made his name. Curious George could throw poop at plays on a board and the Ravens defense could have stopped anyone. Especially when Rex was there and they had Suggs, and Reed in their primes and an aging, yet still unstoppable Ray Lewis at MLB.

I think Rex is to blame for all this. Pettiness have taken the reigns more in the latter 2 seasons, but he must still listen to what Sexy Rexy is spewing at him. The Jets as a whole have become more and more less aggressive under Rex. He is not a good football HC. He may have been a decent to good DC, but well never know because it was the Ravens defense where he made his name. Curious George could throw poop at plays on a board and the Ravens defense could have stopped anyone. Especially when Rex was there and they had Suggs, and Reed in their primes and an aging, yet still unstoppable Ray Lewis at MLB.

So you're saying it's pettiness to blame Pettine?

mind = blown

So a post coming from a Jets blogger on ESPN suggests Pettine was too conservative because he didn't blitz as much as Rex. Big whoop. I like everything I've heard the guy say with respect to versatility and putting the offense at a disadvantage. We'll find out soon enough if Pettine is the real deal.

As for Pettine making a "mysterious lateral move" -- there's nothing mysterious about it. Being a DC under Rex has to be the equivalent of being an OC under Bill Walsh. Impossible to make a name for yourself.

Edited by eball

This comes off as really, really odd, especially seeing how the defensive scheme has played out here recently.

But maybe the answer is rather simple: Pettine has a different group of players, with talent frontloaded at different positions. The Jets had Revis, and whether you like him or not, he's a very talented CB, and they had a pair of very talented Safeties (Landry and Bell). Their talent was in their secondary, so it could be possible that Pettine felt he was trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, which would explain why he would be willing to move to Buffalo where he could use Kyle and Mario Williams and Dareus.

Well he seems to have earned the nickname "Bubonic" since all the Jets FA defenders avoided Buffalo like the plague once he got here. The guy deserves a shot but that is not a good sign.

You mean the Bills avoided signing a group of linebackers on the wrong side of 30 and a safety who got paid much more than he was worth? I'm happier with who we got.

Well he seems to have earned the nickname "Bubonic" since all the Jets FA defenders avoided Buffalo like the plague once he got here. The guy deserves a shot but that is not a good sign.

Marcus Dowtin.

Have a jets fan friend who commented on the same thing. He said the defense was getting more and more conservative the last two years

Part of that might be in part due to injuries and aging vets... just a thought. They got a bit long in the tooth as I recall, especially on defense, didn't they?

This article irks me the more I think about it. If we're to believe the inference, Pettine was too conservative yet Rex allowed him to call plays for two seasons? Something's fishy.

Looking forward to seeing what the Bills do, and watching the Jets spin into oblivion will be a bonus.

And yet, the amount of sacks the Jets teams had in 2009 compared to 2012:

2009: 32.0 (Rex calling plays)

2012: 30.0 (Pettine calling plays)

Maybe the amount of blitz's doesn't really matter...

Edited by Wayne Cubed

And yet, the amount of sacks the Jets teams had in 2009 compared to 2012:

2009: 32.0 (Rex calling plays)

2012: 30.0 (Pettine calling plays)

Maybe the amount of blitz's doesn't really matter...

one possibility. another being that more than sacks are needed to measure the success of blitzs. where are the advanced stats guys when you need them?!?!