Jason Peters: holdout check, arrest check

Was Bruce Smith a me-first selfish bum?

Marv never ran an intense camp and gave the veteran players a lot of leeway when it came to off season OTA's, or what passed for OTA's back then.

I do not recall Bruce ever holding out for more money than his contract stipulated...he just showed up at the last minute because he was one of the privileged veterans in Camp Marv.

Peters demanded to be paid as the best rather than keep to the contract he signed, but the Bills already had a lot of money tied up in FA Dockery and Walker. The pro-bowl is probably one of the biggest headaches for GM's because a soon as a player wins that popularity contest they want more money than they are making. Jason came into the 2008 season after missing all of training camp completely out of shape and easily gassed and he was tied for worst in the league after giving up 11.5 sacks.

I do not see how someone can draw a comparison between the careers of Peters and Smith - totally different and totally irrelevant.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any player who admits dogging it because he's thinking about his contract is a piece if garbage. You don't reward players like that. Even if they are good.

But really players with that mentality never become great anyway.

PTR

Any player who admits dogging it because he's thinking about his contract is a piece if garbage. You don't reward players like that. Even if they are good.

But really players with that mentality never become great anyway.

PTR

Perfectly said.

yep, def. not a difference maker.

Pro Bowl last 3 years. Rated no. 1 LT by Pro Football Focus in 2011, by a wide margin.

More importantly, the Eagles finished 8th, 5th and 3rd in scoring his 3 years there.

He misses one year, and an offense that was averaging over 400 points per season for the last 3 drops to 280 and 29th in the league.

But he doesn't catch the ball or run it, so he added nothing to their offense.

But then, many just have the Russ Brandon approach. "he's 6'5" and over 300 lbs," all we need is another 6'5" 300 lb. guy to step in.

It doesn't work that way, but it won't stop people from believing it.

Does an LT , especially one who is protecting a lefty QB really make that much of a difference on the offence? I think you give way too much credit to Peters for the Eagles performance or lack thereof.

So glad this guy isn't a Bill any more. Some really wanted him to stay when he was holding out, but I had a feeling he was just playing for his contract. One good year and that's it. Good riddance.

I was so proud of this guy. Started off on Practice Squad and worked his way up to Starting LT. I thought we had a Franchise LT, until he turned into a spoiled entitled @$$h013. Glad we got what we did for him. Seems he went downhill fast as far as onfield performance and class. I'm really upset at the Bills not Retaining Levitre. Class guy, never injured. Working class hero!

Does an LT , especially one who is protecting a lefty QB really make that much of a difference on the offence? I think you give way too much credit to Peters for the Eagles performance or lack thereof.

So why does an LT get $11M/yr if he's not a difference maker?

PTR

Because the Eagles overpaid?

Considering what they paid D. Bell they can't be that bright.

But I ask that question sincerely. Why pay someone $11M/yr and then say it's unfair to expect them to make a difference?

I'm not down on Mario Williams (yet) but he has not played up to his deal. Aside from how I feel about Peters, if you pay any LT that kind of coin and you still wind up 6-10, and all you get is your LT goes to Hawaii, what was the point?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I was so proud of this guy. Started off on Practice Squad and worked his way up to Starting LT. I thought we had a Franchise LT, until he turned into a spoiled entitled @$$h013. Glad we got what we did for him. Seems he went downhill fast as far as onfield performance and class. I'm really upset at the Bills not Retaining Levitre. Class guy, never injured. Working class hero!

You can say a lot about the guy's attitude and durability, but performance? Not up for debate. He was an all-pro in each of the two seasons prior to sitting out 2012 with his Achilles injury.

I think McNally made a big mistake by taking him on as an LT. He should have stayed at TE. He'd have been all-world there, his head wouldn't have gotten so swollen, and he probably would still be a Bill.

No, the mistake the Bills made was giving him that huge pay increase after just half a season starting at RT and just his 2nd year in the league. Should have waited until after his 3rd season.

I do not recall Bruce ever holding out for more money than his contract stipulated...he just showed up at the last minute because he was one of the privileged veterans in Camp Marv.

I do not see how someone can draw a comparison between the careers of Peters and Smith - totally different and totally irrelevant.

It seems like a crazy leap. I can only assume that people making that comparison weren't around when Smith was on the team. It was well known that he held out to avoid training camp. Then showed, was in amazing shape and ready to go so no one cared. Smith was also hands down one of the top two at his position and a consistent player.

Mind boggling that the two would be compared.

• 2 weeks later...
Peters is entering his fifth season with the Eagles but missed all of last season to recover from two tears to the same Achilles tendon. It is unknown why Peters was in the Monroe area.

AWOL from camp so he can drag race. Pay the man.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot