Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wonder how much the FO is to blame for this. a lot of people on this board are blaming byrd and his agent but why is the FO not getting some of this blame. im bummed he did not get signed to a long term deal but im not gonna blame him for not signing a deal that none of us know the details too. i hope he gets a long term deal done with the bills at some point to keep him here. but im not gonna blame him any more than the FO

He wants #1 pay at his position, could anyone say with a straight face he deserved it? Could anyone say anyone on our defense last year didn't mail it in at some point ?? Didn't the Jets hang 50+ on us ?? Remember that debacle ? Would you pay #1 money to anyone after watching that game again?

There's only one person to blame, the guy not taking a ~$36 Million 5 year deal that's current market for a top 5 FS.

i wonder how much the FO is to blame for this. a lot of people on this board are blaming byrd and his agent but why is the FO not getting some of this blame. im bummed he did not get signed to a long term deal but im not gonna blame him for not signing a deal that none of us know the details too. i hope he gets a long term deal done with the bills at some point to keep him here. but im not gonna blame him any more than the FO

Yeah, that's a good thought. I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around but I don't blame a player for wanting to get all he can when he can. They generally have such short careers coupled with contracts that aren't guaranteed and few of them are truly prepared for life after football that can come upon them very suddenly. I'd love to see Byrd signed and in camp but I understand.

He wants #1 pay at his position, could anyone say with a straight face he deserved it? Could anyone say anyone on our defense last year didn't mail it in at some point ?? Didn't the Jets hang 50+ on us ?? Remember that debacle ? Would you pay #1 money to anyone after watching that game again?

There's only one person to blame, the guy not taking a ~$36 Million 5 year deal that's current market for a top 5 FS.

Which each and every post you make less and less sense. And honestly show what little if any knowledge you have about football. As for free safety position you understand nothing. That is certain. Now I understand why some have you on ignore. Get off your soapbox you make zero sense, and pollute peoples opinions. Jarius Byrd last year was far and away one of if not the biggest contributor. And please post some video of him "mailing it in".

Which each and every post you make less and less sense. And honestly show what little if any knowledge you have about football. As for free safety position you understand nothing. That is certain. Now I understand why some have you on ignore. Get off your soapbox you make zero sense, and pollute peoples opinions. Jarius Byrd last year was far and away one of if not the biggest contributor. And please post some video of him "mailing it in".

+1

i dont remember him mailing it in. i honestly think if he was on a bigger market team he would be known in the media as one if not the best FS in the league. but thats me playing the IF game. i was really hoping they could have worked out a deal prior to the season ending. either way i just hope he doesnt leave and it comes back to bite us.

i dont remember him mailing it in. i honestly think if he was on a bigger market team he would be known in the media as one if not the best FS in the league. but thats me playing the IF game. i was really hoping they could have worked out a deal prior to the season ending. either way i just hope he doesnt leave and it comes back to bite us.

I hope he ends up with the Patriots.

GO BILLS!!!

Well, it's generally reckoned that Troy Polamalu has the highest average salary at $9.1million, and I do believe quotes have been noted that Byrd wants to be the highest paid Safety in the League. So if he isn't the most talented Safety in the League, what is it that Parker is going after - if not for him being "underpaid" during his rookie contract. That's how I see it.

At this point, I hope he sits out till week 10, comes in for six weeks pay, and they tag him again. If he shows up like Peters did, he might not even see the field at all this year. Maybe they could put him on IR, or PUP him for four weeks. Rock meet Hammer.

The alternative being "free safety" which puts him in the 8m area which matches some rumors with weddle and goldson possibly specifically named

We just don't know with both sides being quiet

He's going to be (according to reports) the sole Franchise Tag holdout this year, and one of two over the past two years (that includes 29 total tags)...I can most definitely blame Byrd and his crap agent for the holdout if it does come...And maybe the reported deal he turned down is not what he and his crap agent wanted...OK fine...But if that 5/$36 mil figure is close, it certainly was a sizable offer, and fair for a top 5 safety...Especially if that top 5 safety really wanted to stay in Buffalo...I'm certainly a Byrd fan...but I don't think he's the best Safety in the league...I think Goldson and Thomas are clearly better...Weddle too...I think top 5 is a fair argument though...

I can understand Byrd not taking the deal and gambling that a big season will prove he's worth $8-9 mil a year...But a holdout, IMHO is bush-league...If he holds out for any significant period of time I'm done with him...I simply have no tolerance for these garbage tactics any longer...Tactics that include whining about injury potential, or not being tagged next year, when there is a guaranteed minimum of almost $7 million dollars...It seems to me that what is really being said here...again by Byrd's crap agent...is that Jairus is reluctantly willing to stay in Buffalo under the sole condition that you make him the top paid safety in the NFL...And if that is truly the case...well...I'll hold the out-door open for him...

Maybe it's just me...I don't know...I'm just over this holdout garbage...And in my gut I don't think the kid wants to be here...I definitely don't think his agent wants him to be here...I could be wrong...We'll see... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I know you're a Byrd homer, so you need to get over the fact that Byrd will not be here after this season. He values himself as a #1 FS in the league, he's not. He played better than everyone else on our defense on occasion last season, the rest of the defense was terrible. So he's above average on a horrible defense, that doesn't make him worth #1 money at his position.

I suggest you realize that the Bills will not overpay for people who think they're worth more than they are worth to the team. If we didn't have a tag for Byrd this season, he would of already left because we weren't even close on what he was looking to get. Think that's going to get better next season ?? No it won't & he's already gone, I'll mail you some tissues.

Edited by mitchmurraydowntown

This situation sucks but I get it from the Bills FO's point of view, while Byrd is certainly a great player he isn't absolutely essential to the team. Since he's probably leaving anyway this is probably better as it gives some young guys a chance to step up and Aaron Williams to start living up to his potential.

I love Byrd but I think what he and his agent are doing is stupid, he's no Revis so he won't get max dollars if he sits out a whole training camp and especially not if he misses games. If he really wants a huge contract, the only real option is to bust his butt in camp and try to have the best season of his career in 2013 so someone overpays him next offseason.

Edited by cosmo

Parker figured he had another Jason Peters opportunity. A weak team with a new administration and rookie GM. Piece of cake! Stick with me, kid. I know how to play the Bills. They are my bee-yotch.

Expect a story in the Buffalo News soon about how the Bills are screwing this up and how Parker is just doing what's right for poor Byrd. Cue the violins.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Parker figured he had another Jason Peters opportunity. A weak team with a new administration and rookie GM. Piece of cake! Stick with me, kid. I know how to play the Bills. They are my bee-yotch.

Expect a story in the Buffalo News soon about how the Bills are screwing this up and how Parker is just doing what's right for poor Byrd. Cue the violins.

PTR

The agent doesn't act on the team's behalf he acts on the behalf of the player. He represents the player's interest, not the team's interest.

It was Byrd who selected the agent, not the agent selecting the player. He can sell himself as a rep but it is the player who makes the call as to who is going to represent him. There are no outlandish demands being made by the player. The player believes that he is one of the top FSs in the game. There is an established salary scale for that echelon of FSs. The player wants to be paid in that range, regardless who is representing him.

The negotiating strategy that Parker is employing is without a doubt a strategy that Byrd signed on to. I'm sure that the agent explained the ramifications and risks associated with it prior to employing it. There is too much at stake for the player not to be clued in to what is going on. Byrd is not an unsophisticated slug like the idiot player for San Fran who claimed that he didn't know that he had a $2M offseason team workout bonus clause.

By tendering Byrd the franchise has signaled that they also consider Bryd to be one of the best FSs in the game. If they didn't believe that they wouldn't have tendered him at a $7 M price tag. There is still time to get a deal done. The stakes are high for both the organization and player.

My position is that I would reasonably overpay for a talented player then squander money on a less taented player. Byrd is not a player like Anderson who came in from another organization and was paid beyond his talent level. With Byrd you already know what you are getting. Even if you slightly over pay you still are going to get good production. The way for a lagging team to get better is to keep talent and add talent.

Edited by JohnC

Parker is most likely prepared to lose the battle this time with Byrd getting tagged. What he won't lose is the war. After 2007, when Peters was a 2nd team All-Pro OT, the Bills refused to re-negotiate. Eventually, the player showed just before the season and played in 2008. The team and player couldn't agree to a deal in the '09 off-season, and the Bills traded him for a first round pick and change.

The people who will lose is the front office in terms of credibility by not retaining one of their best players, the coaches, who'll be playing guys less experienced, and the fans, who will see an inferior product. Parker and Byrd will get paid eventually.

Parker is most likely prepared to lose the battle this time with Byrd getting tagged. What he won't lose is the war. After 2007, when Peters was a 2nd team All-Pro OT, the Bills refused to re-negotiate. Eventually, the player showed just before the season and played in 2008. The team and player couldn't agree to a deal in the '09 off-season, and the Bills traded him for a first round pick and change.

The people who will lose is the front office in terms of credibility by not retaining one of their best players, the coaches, who'll be playing guys less experienced, and the fans, who will see an inferior product. Parker and Byrd will get pllaid eventually.

And just how will this loss of credibility manifest itself? Less ticket sales? Mass exodus of the coaching and personnel staffs? More posts from you telling us all how they have lost credibility?

If Byrd ends up not playing another game for the Bills, the impact of his loss won't be confirmed until tangible results of his loss are seen on the field. It's all noise until then.

But given how historically poor our defense has been the last couple seasons, we are going to be hard pressed to see a worse defense with other players in the lineup.

GO BILLS!!!

And just how will this loss of credibility manifest itself? Less ticket sales? Mass exodus of the coaching and personnel staffs? More posts from you telling us all how they have lost credibility?

If Byrd ends up not playing another game for the Bills, the impact of his loss won't be confirmed until tangible results of his loss are seen on the field. It's all noise until then.

But given how historically poor our defense has been the last couple seasons, we are going to be hard pressed to see a worse defense with other players in the lineup.

GO BILLS!!!

This is one of my points as well, our defense sucked with Byrd on it & now he's unreplaceable ?? Then he wants #1 money for what he's accomplished at his position? Shouldn't #1 money be reserved for players who help their team dominate or at least play decent ?

Our defense was an embarrassment, how many 50+ point games did our defense give up? It takes a lot of nerve to even ask for #1 money considering how they played last season & a whole new coaching staff now, like the most nerve possible. Byrd needs to show up & help the team succeed, then I can see #1 money idea being palatable. Until then, even $6.9 M guaranteed for one season seems too high.

GO BILLS!!!

Last year our defense played poorly due to a lack of talent and underperforming from other players, mostly on the D-line. Byrd at the FS position was not a position of weakness, it was a position of strength. By tendering him at a high one year rate the organization implicitedly recognizes that he is an upper tier FS. That doesn't necessarily translate into giving him a cap busting contract but it does suggest that his contract should be at the higher end FS rate. I'm not stating that a deal can't get but I am stating that a deal would enhance this roster.

If the organization can't come to a deal with him other players who will eventually be in their contract years will take note when they have options to go elsewhere. Losing does get tiresome for players who have a relatively short career life span. Sometimes the problem doesn't develop when a particular transaction doesn't work out but it becomes manifestly apparent when it too often happens.

The Bills have been out of the playoffs for 13 consecutive years and still counting. The Bills have had losing seasons nine out of the past ten seasons. I'm sure that you would agree that retaining and adding talent to a roster is a better way to get better than repeating the self-defeating cycle of developing a player---having the player leave---and then replacing the lost player.

The Bills have gone through a major organizational staffing change and player culling this offseason. The odds lean toward them not making the playoffs and having a winning record. That doesn't mean that this franchise can't make progress and build for future success. You don't do that be shedding talent when you already have a lack of talent.

Last year our defense played poorly due to a lack of talent and underperforming from other players, mostly on the D-line. Byrd at the FS position was not a position of weakness, it was a position of strength. By tendering him at a high one year rate the organization implicitedly recognizes that he is an upper tier FS. That doesn't necessarily translate into giving him a cap busting contract but it does suggest that his contract should be at the higher end FS rate. I'm not stating that a deal can't get but I am stating that a deal would enhance this roster.

If the organization can't come to a deal with him other players who will eventually be in their contract years will take note when they have options to go elsewhere. Losing does get tiresome for players who have a relatively short career life span. Sometimes the problem doesn't develop when a particular transaction doesn't work out but it becomes manifestly apparent when it too often happens.

The Bills have been out of the playoffs for 13 consecutive years and still counting. The Bills have had losing seasons nine out of the past ten seasons. I'm sure that you would agree that retaining and adding talent to a roster is a better way to get better than repeating the self-defeating cycle of developing a player---having the player leave---and then replacing the lost player.

The Bills have gone through a major organizational staffing change and player culling this offseason. The odds lean toward them not making the playoffs and having a winning record. That doesn't mean that this franchise can't make progress and build for future success. You don't do that be shedding talent when you already have a lack of talent.

Simple question: how will you know that our defense is worse than last year and the year before?

And when will you know it?

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

The agent doesn't act on the team's behalf he acts on the behalf of the player. He represents the player's interest, not the team's interest.

It was Byrd who selected the agent, not the agent selecting the player. He can sell himself as a rep but it is the player who makes the call as to who is going to represent him. There are no outlandish demands being made by the player. The player believes that he is one of the top FSs in the game. There is an established salary scale for that echelon of FSs. The player wants to be paid in that range, regardless who is representing him.

The negotiating strategy that Parker is employing is without a doubt a strategy that Byrd signed on to. I'm sure that the agent explained the ramifications and risks associated with it prior to employing it. There is too much at stake for the player not to be clued in to what is going on. Byrd is not an unsophisticated slug like the idiot player for San Fran who claimed that he didn't know that he had a $2M offseason team workout bonus clause.

By tendering Byrd the franchise has signaled that they also consider Bryd to be one of the best FSs in the game. If they didn't believe that they wouldn't have tendered him at a $7 M price tag. There is still time to get a deal done. The stakes are high for both the organization and player.

My position is that I would reasonably overpay for a talented player then squander money on a less taented player. Byrd is not a player like Anderson who came in from another organization and was paid beyond his talent level. With Byrd you already know what you are getting. Even if you slightly over pay you still are going to get good production. The way for a lagging team to get better is to keep talent and add talent.

Or, the player selects an agent, that agent "sells him" that he is the best FS in the league. That he should demand or expect top money. In the end it's in the agents best interest to get the most money he can get for the player because that determines the agents cut.

So why wouldn't an agent, like Parker, who plays hard ball, convince Byrd that he is the best FS and can get top money? Yea, Byrd picked the agent, but I'm sure Parker "sold him" on his abilities and how much money he's worth.

Simple question: how will you know that our defense is worse than last year and the year before?

And when will you know it?

GO BILLS!!!

You can't know for sure whether your defense is better or worse because it is a team defense. It's not like baseball where there are individual stats that are more measurable. What I do know for sure is that Byrd is not only one of better DBs on the defense but he is also one of the best players on the defense. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he our only defensive pro ball player?

Regardless if it is measureable or not I'm confident that this year's defense will be a better defense with him than without him. The organization certainly didn't tender him because he was an inconsequential player. As I stated in prior posts by tendering him the organization acknowledges that he is an upper tier player at his position. This is a team without many upper tier players at their respective position. So there shouldn't be a cavalier attitude at letting those caliber of players leave. Sometimes a departure of a good player can't be prevented, but sometimes a more energetic effort can be made to retain an impactful player.

What has crushed this franchise as much as anything is the same self-defeating cycle of developing a good player and then see that player leave and go through the process of replacing the player that left. Digging a hole and then refilling it and then again digging another hole at the same spot doesn't seem too smart to me. It has proved very damaging to this generational stuck in the mud organization.