Warren sapp slams J Byrd on NFLN

Has there been more more productive safety in bills history?

I was thinking he is not a dominant force that wins the team games, but then I remembered AZ last year.

Whether he is a very good safety is not in question. If the bills need a top safety in the new D and if they can afford to pay him is.

Since Leonard played safety effectively in Pettine's D maybe is not a position they must commit significant dollars to.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol ! details details.

Sapp is a fool.

Byrd is very good.

I will be dissappointed if/when Jairus is playing for someone else.

Let me ask this ? Who might make the offer that gets him out of a Bills uni ?

or maybe it's just a plain old Quartz.

I honestly have no idea who might make an offer for him since I haven't followed the Safety needs around the league. But some team in sure is in need of a Pro Bowl caliber Safety.

W Sapp was one of the best DT's to ever play the game. J Byrd is an AVERAGE Safety whos stats are padded by his first year play.

Now I get most Bills fans are hyper sensitive to anything negative said about the Bills, but I don't care if Byrd played for the Pats, he is AVERAGE and does NOT deserve to be paid what he is looking for. I personally am hoping the Bills can ship him for a 1st rounder to some team stupid enough to go for it.

"Petitioning for him to stay" -- what does that even mean? These guys are concerned about earning their own positions on the roster, not whether a fellow teammate "gets paid" -- and this is doubly true given the fact there are new coaches and a new system. And aside from the occasional superstar QB, nobody "gives up" money to help a team sign someone else. (When said QBs "give up" money, by the way, they're not really giving it up. They're simply structuring it differently so the economics work.)

players restructure contracts all the time to free up more cap space. Players make it known they want certain players on the team. Merriman and Stevie in the last few years have shown that with their recruiting. I never said give up more money. If I Didnt, that's not what I meant. I did say if it was me making millions and I was asked to take a little less to be more competitive I would. But I'm not in the NFL now am I. The players on this team that are worrying about making a roster spit, most likely aren't worried about their position on the team. I highly doubt if someone like Nigel Bradham or Arthur moats makes enough to really even out a dent into the salary structure of the team. But the veterans that ARE making millions, Williams, Williams, McKelvin, Anderson very easily take up big chunks of cap space and could easily want to be a part of a winner at some point in their careers. It wouldn't be rediculous to ask someone like Anderson to take a pay cut or restructure his contract to help free up some more money to sign Byrd. After all, many are doubting whether Anderaon will even be in this team come opening day. I'd expect his hefty contract to have something to do with that. If he was making vet minimum I doubt he gets cut. But because he's making $25million (or whatever he's actually making) then he becomes questionable ok if he's kept or not. Brad Smith comes to mind as well here.

W Sapp was one of the best DT's to ever play the game. J Byrd is an AVERAGE Safety whos stats are padded by his first year play.

Now I get most Bills fans are hyper sensitive to anything negative said about the Bills, but I don't care if Byrd played for the Pats, he is AVERAGE and does NOT deserve to be paid what he is looking for. I personally am hoping the Bills can ship him for a 1st rounder to some team stupid enough to go for it.

Actually, if Byrd played for the Pats, he'd be a superstar and probably have a couple of rings. They could have used a player like him. But carry on as a contrarian if it makes you feel better. It would just be nice to see you back it up with some evidence. Just about any serious NFL analyst with a pulse believes Byrd to be at the very least a very good, possibly great safety with potential to be in the upper echelon. Warren Sapp was a very good player in his day (which has past) and is a man whose judgment is suspect, to put it kindly.

I think with a real DC calling the shots and evaluating the talent, the sky is the limit for Byrd. He is about to enter his prime. That is something you pay for. If he can be had for $8MM the Bills should do it.

If by average you mean arguably the top FS in the league and the best FS we have had in the history of our franchise, then yeah, average.

I was thinking he is not a dominant force that wins the team games, but then I remembered AZ last year.

Don't forget the Dolphins' game in Buffalo. He had two picks, I believe, preventing a potential Miami comeback.

No person in their right mind agrees with you.

You are in the minority and i mean how the football gurus perceive Byrd not just us fans with blinders!

His knock is his speed or lack of it , but he makes up for that with his great anticipation and excellent angles to the ball.

He is a sure tackler and shows no fear of contact. With a real coaching scheme ( Pettine(as compared to Dave W's pile of poop) , Byrd has great potential for the probowl.

All these things i have read about him in the last couple months.

but i am a homer of sorts and always fall into the category of glass half full in regard to the Bills during the offseason : )

Edited by 3rdand12

Is there any greater argument for the damage that concussions do than the incomprehensible babble that spews forth from the majority of former NFL player's mouths when they are put in front of a camera? Rhonde Barber and the few articulate former players of his ilk serve as the exception to prove the rule. Aside from the fact that on average I would guess that the median IQ of players upon entering the league is probably south of that of the general population, on retirement these guys are downright bricks. Was Sapp even speaking English in that interview? How does this crap get the ratings to stay on the air?

Is there any greater argument for the damage that concussions do than the incomprehensible babble that spews forth from the majority of former NFL player's mouths when they are put in front of a camera? Rhonde Barber and the few articulate former players of his ilk serve as the exception to prove the rule. Aside from the fact that on average I would guess that the median IQ of players upon entering the league is probably south of that of the general population, on retirement these guys are downright bricks. Was Sapp even speaking English in that interview? How does this crap get the ratings to stay on the air?

Causes 113 posts on a fan forum ? or just controversial enough to keep people tuning in ? Edited by 3rdand12

My thoughts on this topic are that:

1) Sapp is the worst kind of idiot, a distasteful idiot. It's hard for me to watch him without wanting to smack him in the face. Also people who think that Sapp is getting flak simply because he's being "anti-Buffalo" are morons. He's getting flak because there's no basis for him to be on television, much less national television.

2) Ronde, while seemingly a more substantive man than his brother Tiki, is nevertheless very similar to his brother in that he exudes a lot of style without much substance. Have some passion and conviction for God's sake!

3) Byrd is an outstanding player, definitely a top 5 safety. When you consider his youth and the fact that he's always played behind horrible front 7s, he's even more valuable.

How does this crap get the ratings to stay on the air?

It's much better for ratings to become a bottom-of-the-barrel contrarion (i.e. Skip Bayless) than it is to provide an accurate analysis. It's unfortunate, but we reward the "look at me" media by not looking away.

Not too crazy about that Warren Sapp. However, I do think that Byrd may be over-estimating his value.

I find rookie Duke Williams VERY interesting as a FS prospect. I think his ceiling may be even higher than Byrd's... Don't be shocked if he absolutely shines in TC...

If by average you mean arguably the top FS in the league and the best FS we have had in the history of our franchise, then yeah, average.

George Saimes sends his regards.

GO BILLS!!!

Would you give up money so one of your co-workers will stay with your company?

Actually we all do that every day. Our salaries remain a constant, whereas our CEO/CTO/CFOs keep adding bonuses and stock options to their portfolio as the company continues to succeed.

He definitely contributes to his defenses being weak on the run, though. I know how PFF rates him, but whenever I watch Byrd, he's not one to initiate contact.

That's not what I saw last year. On runs to the middle he was the furthest man back which doesn't set up well for attacking the box, but he did a good job if the ball reached the last line of defense (though early in his career he took some poor angles and missed runners). Runs outside the tackle to his side are where he shined. The strong safety trails the play across the middle allowing Jaybird to go downhill. He made aggressive plays vs. the run last year despite having deep pass coverage responsibility on a vast majority of snaps.

I really hope he at least comes in for this year because I wanna see Pettine move him around, let him blitz sometimes, let him play in the box more. I know he gets INTs Wanny but that's not the only thing the guy can do.