Warren sapp slams J Byrd on NFLN

I live in Tampa. Sapp is a D Bag and I don't use those words often! He stated to a friend of mine with his son after a practice (a nice father with a 7 yr old son) "Can we take a picture of you Mr. Sapp with my son?"

I don't flick b+#tch. It was repulsive. My wife was the manager of the OBGYN Unit years ago, when he had his baby momma having another baby,and was god awful to the nurses and staff.

He's not a good guy, and he spends no time learning about players. Ronde who is a great guy in the community, phenomenal player, and very bright, was acting polite to his friend. You could see it in his eyes and facial expressions. He lived in my neighborhood for years. Ronde will end up in the booth and do a great job on a show like NFL Total Access.

Sapp gets everything he deserves with his bankruptsy. Unfortunately, the laws in FL are awful so he will keep his $450 k salary for bad investments.

The bottom line is I ahve watched Sapp say so many dumb things in the media, it is amazing to me he maintains a job. Jamie Dukes is funny, interesting, and has some input. I've never heard one thing from Sapp that had any insight. It is a shame as I don't know anyone in his corner who lives here.

He is not Ronde Barber, John Lynch, Derrick Brooks, Mike Alstott, and Hardy Nickerson. These guys are Tampa HOF in the eyes of Tampa fans. Not that they will all get in, but if you lived here, they are the Talley, Conlan, Bennett, Reed, Kelly, Thomas of this area. NOT SAPP!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im just saying, with the defense playing as poorly as it has, even if he was not asked to aggressively play the run, there's a major chance that he has not trusted the players in front of him to make the play for the last.... Well, since he's been on the team. So therefore, there's a good chance he's always a second off because the rest of the defense is out of position.

Actually kind of similar to Whitner. He wasnt that bad, but never lived up to expectations. Byrd has however lived up to and exceeded at every expectation anyone has ever had for him when he was first drafted. Apparently everyone forgets how good he's been at creating turnovers. Absolutely incredible at being in the right place at the right time for the pick, and his forced and recovered fumbles is off the charts. He always seems to be around the ball.

And despite all of his poor play when asked to cover or play deep. If that's the only real knock on him, then what do you think he could grow Into with an actual good defensive coordinator helping him? Wanny and the crap we've had at DC has managed to completely ruin what should have been a dominant DL and a solid defense at least. Yet Byrd managed to succeed with the same coaches. What do you think he will do with a good coaching staff and scheme?

The coaching point can't be overstated in analyzing some of the talent we've had on that side of the ball. It's easy to blame coaches on crappy play--however right it might be to--but in Byrd's case, he's one of the few (Kyle Williams being the only other that really comes to mind) that's played exceedingly well regardless. This alone is reason enough in my armchair analysis to why the man deserves the coin he's trying to get...and the fact he really has zero holes in his game that are apparent or can't be improved upon.

Well put. The bold text is really the only area of his game I'm not pleased with. He often seems slow in getting over to help and I'm not sure if it's more a question of recognition or just not being fast on his feet.

GO BILLS!!!

Some of that was the scheme run. For instance, on at least the SF score (if I'm thinking of the same one) Gilmore and Byrd were hosed by Wannstedt having them in cover-3 with Gilmore off by 8+ yards. Byrd can't take the corner, nor can Gilmore if he gets turned around as he did.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap1000000078238/QB-Smith-to-WR-Crabtree-28-yd-pass-TD

On the tv call they call it cover 2, but it was 1 high safety with the linebacker going to the flat, which is cover 3 (or 4 if there are 2 high) almost every time.

Some of that was the scheme run. For instance, on at least the SF score (if I'm thinking of the same one) Gilmore and Byrd were hosed by Wannstedt having them in cover-3 with Gilmore off by 8+ yards. Byrd can't take the corner, nor can Gilmore if he gets turned around as he did.

http://www.nfl.com/v...e-28-yd-pass-TD

On the tv call they call it cover 2, but it was 1 high safety with the linebacker going to the flat, which is cover 3 (or 4 if there are 2 high) almost every time.

Thanks for the link. That looked like cover-1 all the way (one deep safety (Byrd) playing zone and all other DBs and LBs playing man. Byrd was late getting over. In his defense though, he had his choice of which endzone routes to cover (I think that was A Williams on the other side man up on another flag route) and Alex Smith just made a good read when he saw which way Byrd was cheating. Tough to fault him too much on that play.

As to an LB in the flat, that wouldn't indicate a cover-3, necessarily. You need to see 3 deep DBs, each taking a third of the field. The Tampa-2 features that deep drop to the middle by the MLB with two safeties deep but still, both safeties have responsibility for their respective halves. When it's each player taking a deep third, it's a cover-3.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Byrd is average at best. Is he a ball hawk? Yes. But that's all he does.

Byrd is far from average and saying that's all he does is not accurate. But out of a Free Safety

IF all he did was create turnovers I could live with that. And so would any team in the league.

He also has played the run very well the past couple seasons. He deserves top money.

athletes have all the power nowadays. They sit out, teams trade at a lower rate. That simple. And with his POS agent, I don't think they will think twice about sitting out.

Why are you saying his agent is a POS? Eugene Parker is doing his job. His job is to get his client what the CLIENT WANTS. You act as if Byrd is just sitting there while Parker decides what Byrd should do with his business concerns. He works for Byrd, not the other way around. Just like he worked for Peters and dozens of other players. Parker's job is not to engratiate himself to us fans. It's business, not personal.

I'm not here to argue whether or not Byrd is elite. He's a good player, regardless. But pff analysis must be taken with a huge grain of salt, especially where FS play is concerned. I can think of two TDs given up, both with Gilmore having primary coverage (Cleveland, SF games), where Byrd was very late in getting over to cover his deep half responsibility. Yes, we can chalk it up as Gilmore giving up a couple TD passes, but Byrd screwed the pooch on both plays. That's why no agent in his right mind cites profootballfocus ratings when negotiating. There is very little context in their evaluations.

GO BILLS!!!

I can find plays when Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu screwed the pooch too. In the pass and the run game. It's a game. 100% of players make mistakes and 100% don't make every play available to be made. Even the HOF's. Doesn't mean Byrd isn't elite.

Edited by purple haze

...I can find plays when Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu screwed the pooch too. In the pass and the run game. It's a game. 100% of players make mistakes and 100% don't make every play available to be made. Even the HOF's. Doesn't mean Byrd isn't elite.

No doubt. I've never heard of a single player that didn't make a mistake now and then. And like I said, I'm not here to argue whether he's elite or not. Too many fans get bogged down in these meaningless levels of ability. He's a great player. That's good enough for me. I just don't think he doesn't have anything that he can't improve on. Again, as I said previously, IMO, he leaves something to be desired in coverage. And I don't know if I can attribute that to a recognition problem or not being blessed with elite speed. And he's NOT blessed with great speed, unlike Reed. But Reed is the best FS I've ever seen on the field and that's going back a ways. I'm not gonna ding Byrd because he isn't Ed Reed yet. That is both unfair and stupid.

But again, my larger criticism is for profootballfocus and their lack of context when it comes to grading players. I disagree with them when they assert Byrd didn't give up any TDs. Well, there were occassions when he certainly didn't prevent them. How's that?

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Byrd makes great playes on poorly thrown balls....

Otherwise known as making the QB pay. All the great ones do that. No shame in that. Hard to make plays on perfectly thrown balls, though. I mean, they wouldn't be perfect otherwise.

GO BILLS!!!

The NFL Network seems to be an object lesson in the fact that formerly great players are not necessarily smart people or good human beings. Sapp offered zero to explain why he doesn't think Byrd is elite.

Byrd is not elite. He is a very good player on a very bad team. It would be interesting if he was on a very good team, and being on a very good team is exactly what he is trying to do. Resigning with the Bills is a career death sentence for him. The Bills either give him $20m guaranteed or he will be gone. See: Andy Levitre. Franchising him will not help.

One of the best tacklers on defense, also

I was going to say this in response to the person who he said he was a ball hawk and that's all. The guys is a great open field tackler. I noticed it at a couple of games I went to. Doesn't really come across like that on TV.

Byrd is a stud.

So count me in as a guy who is not sure how he fits our new D. The safeties that they drafted/signed seem to be intimidators. Byrd has always seemed to be a finesse guy to me who is not really a big hitter. He does do an excellent job of getting his hands on the ball though and I do see him among the top safety's in the league.

Its not Manual , it's Automatic.

its not really automatic. It's technically Kinetic Movement.

Eugene Parker again. I would take all of his players off of my draft board. Get ready for a trade for a 2 and a 5

been calling for something like this for a while now. I personally think it'll be a 1 and 4 or 5 tho.

Byrd is average at best. Is he a ball hawk? Yes. But that's all he does.

QB ratings throwing into his coverage, and TD's given up wouldn't support you're view. He is great in run support. Average? Not in my opinion. I'm not sure what safety I would take before him.

So count me in as a guy who is not sure how he fits our new D. The safeties that they drafted/signed seem to be intimidators. Byrd has always seemed to be a finesse guy to me who is not really a big hitter. He does do an excellent job of getting his hands on the ball though and I do see him among the top safety's in the league.

Bryd's style of play IMO is comparable to ed reed. So, I would expect Pettin to use him like he used Ed .

that may be true, but If the rest of the team loved him so much, they would be petitioning for him to stay to field a winner.

Maybe???

"Petitioning for him to stay" -- what does that even mean? These guys are concerned about earning their own positions on the roster, not whether a fellow teammate "gets paid" -- and this is doubly true given the fact there are new coaches and a new system. And aside from the occasional superstar QB, nobody "gives up" money to help a team sign someone else. (When said QBs "give up" money, by the way, they're not really giving it up. They're simply structuring it differently so the economics work.)

Byrd is not elite. He is a very good player on a very bad team. It would be interesting if he was on a very good team, and being on a very good team is exactly what he is trying to do. Resigning with the Bills is a career death sentence for him. The Bills either give him $20m guaranteed or he will be gone. See: Andy Levitre. Franchising him will not help.

Way to miss my point. The discussion that Sapp and Barber were having was about whether or not Byrd is elite. You may think he's not. I haven't argued one way or the other. Ronde Barber did, and he cited the numbers, while Sapp tossed off something unintelligible about the name on the back of a jersey, Buffalo, and god knows what.

Please be reminded that Sapp gets PAID, as in, with American dollars, to have conversations and opinions about football. And he's downright terrible at this seemingly simple and fun task (simple because in TV sound bite culture, you can do what Ronde Barber did and sound reasonably intelligent. The bar is low.)

its not really automatic. It's technically Kinetic Movement.

been calling for something like this for a while now. I personally think it'll be a 1 and 4 or 5 tho.

Lol ! details details.

Sapp is a fool.

Byrd is very good.

I will be dissappointed if/when Jairus is playing for someone else.

Let me ask this ? Who might make the offer that gets him out of a Bills uni ?

I live in Tampa. Sapp is a D Bag and I don't use those words often! He stated to a friend of mine with his son after a practice (a nice father with a 7 yr old son) "Can we take a picture of you Mr. Sapp with my son?"

I don't flick b+#tch. It was repulsive. My wife was the manager of the OBGYN Unit years ago, when he had his baby momma having another baby,and was god awful to the nurses and staff.

He's not a good guy, and he spends no time learning about players. Ronde who is a great guy in the community, phenomenal player, and very bright, was acting polite to his friend. You could see it in his eyes and facial expressions. He lived in my neighborhood for years. Ronde will end up in the booth and do a great job on a show like NFL Total Access.

Sapp gets everything he deserves with his bankruptsy. Unfortunately, the laws in FL are awful so he will keep his $450 k salary for bad investments.

The bottom line is I ahve watched Sapp say so many dumb things in the media, it is amazing to me he maintains a job. Jamie Dukes is funny, interesting, and has some input. I've never heard one thing from Sapp that had any insight. It is a shame as I don't know anyone in his corner who lives here.

He is not Ronde Barber, John Lynch, Derrick Brooks, Mike Alstott, and Hardy Nickerson. These guys are Tampa HOF in the eyes of Tampa fans. Not that they will all get in, but if you lived here, they are the Talley, Conlan, Bennett, Reed, Kelly, Thomas of this area. NOT SAPP!

Here's some more translations:

1.After the disribution of fuel to packaging equipment Kong Cross wire in the side of the filed again deduction presses. The fuel pressure lock firmly

2.A person wishing light take up a top. Another person fuel ignited the four angle

3.Wait for the heat that enough light, lanterns person lets looose. A top hand changes grips under the lead encircle. Has when the fitting force may let go release for flying

4.Wishing light rose slowly the sky. Do not forget wishing Oh......

Should choose at the option open calm enviroment released for flight. No fires ban in areas, the tall building and the floor and so on have covers under the thing to release for flight must leave outside the airport 10 kilometers from flying

Wishing light can only be used for the distribution the special purpose of the fuel prohibited by any burning replace

Wishing light are on the rise, that of flying, cannot the long time not put and the flight not to append the foreign body

Children must be under the custody of adult use

Byrd has also been on ****ty teams that cannot stop the run. May be if he plays on a team like the Steelers or Ravens, he can prove that he is as good or better than Polamalu or Ed Reed, both of whom benefit from a fantastic front seven.

Better than Ed Reed?! Was this supposed to be a funny comment and I missed the sarcasm?