Marrone's potential chameleon offense

interesting article from Pre-Snap Reads about what DM's offense could look like...

If Manuel proves he can run the typical offense consistently, then this just becomes another color of the Iguana offense that defenses would have to expect, but couldn’t really prepare for. Defenses can prepare for the option and contain it, but when it’s one of 20 or more different directions the personnel on the field hints at going it, it’s very difficult to set yourself up to stop that and expose yourself to a standard drop-back pass, because that standard drop-back would then have a dramatically slower pass-rush threatening it.

The potential layers and adaptability of the Bills’ offense for the upcoming season is terrifying if the quarterback position can figure itself out.

Unfortunately for Bills fans, that same “if” has never fallen in their favor in recent times.

The read option wont be nearly as successful next year with every team in the league spending the offseason preparing for it which at the end of the day means more hits on the quarterback

plays will still be made out of it but when teams start sending more and more players to the quarterback like the Ravens did in the super bowl it will be less and less successful with more QBs getting injured

I would rather see more improvised then designed running plays by EJ

thanks for the link, that was a pretty decent article. I especially like the Pistol offense idea with Fred and CJ together, and then three WR or a TE and two WR. That could be really fun, especially with EJ running the spread option with either of the backs. I think Marrone and Hackett are going to have a blast with this offense.

Agree with Max to some extent that I don't want to see the spread option a lot but if you use it sparingly and they have to look out for it, it could be very effective with the skill players the Bills have.

The "if" is the bills reality... Even Chans offense was pretty good in concept and "IF" fitz had been able to hit on intermediate and deep passes it would have likely resulted in more tds and more wins.

All up to EJM, who I sincerely hope is ROY too!

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

The read option wont be nearly as successful next year with every team in the league spending the offseason preparing for it which at the end of the day means more hits on the quarterback

plays will still be made out of it but when teams start sending more and more players to the quarterback like the Ravens did in the super bowl it will be less and less successful with more QBs getting injured

I think this is a fair point to make. And I agree. But I also think it depends on having superior skill positions on the field AND a QB the size of Manuel to run it effectively. Heck, he's bigger than many of the guys that will be coming up to hit him. If him and Spiller can get on the same page quickly, I think they have to make it a popular wrinkle in their offense. Conversely, teams like the Redskins and Seahawks, with more diminutive QBs, might be taking more of a risk. If I'm a DC lining up against those guys and they run it, I tell my LB to key on the QB and smack him EVERY time, regardless. Even if a big play is ripped off by the RB occassionally, I make it a point to lay a lick on him. He's fair game when he's running and those hits add up over the course of a game. If your QB isn't big enough to handle it, his game will be impacted.

GO BILLS!!!

Although Sean Payton and Drew Brees received much of the credit for the team’s success that season, rightfully so, it would be unfair to discount Marrone’s impact in such a prominent role.

I think it's pretty fair because...

Marrone did arrive in New Orleans after being the offensive line coach for the New York Jets, so he most likely focused on developing what was an impressive offensive line during his time in Louisiana, however he at least would have absorbed some of the traits of the offense that he was overlooking.

Thanks.

And the Saints still use a bunch of different RB/WRs. Only lessened lately by Jimmy Graham being really good.

Marrone will use his offensive line expertise to overcome the loss of Levitre, because he focused his off-season on re-tooling the defense and adding weapons to the offense.

There's a fine line where positivity turns into nonsense. This stomps the line and long jumps over it.

Very much this.

and...........After watching RG3 get nearly killed last year, the last thing I want to watch (by any team) is the RO offense.

Great read. Marrone's time with New Orleans and what he put in place there combined with the players that the Bills picked up in the draft on offense have me excited for the possibilities. Always have to temper expectations though and the writer did a fair job of that.

I have to agree with the thought that every team in the league will have put a focus on read-option defense, to varying degrees dependent on the division. However, I see the AFC East being the division putting the least focus on it with Tannehill, Brady and Geno/Sanchez being projected starters at QB and the Bills perhaps putting Kolb out there opening day. If Manuel hits the books and the coaches feel that he's ready to get out there right away, the Bills read-option could be a big weapon in a division without another QB able to do what he does.

I don't think people understand what a read-option offense means.

I was getting that feeling too. Read what the defense is giving you and if the pass doesn't suit it, then take the option of running!

I don't think people understand what a read-option offense means.

Why do you say that? It's been around for decades. Not much to understand. QB is reading the DE (usually, although could be an LB) to the play side of the run called and whether or not he is lined up inside or outside the T (this usually tells the QB who the pre-snap key is for the defensive player he is reading). The only recent new wrinkle is the prevelance of running the option out of the shotgun (or pistol, for that matter). I think most fans know what it is since the talking heads make it sound like it's something brand new.

GO BILLS!!!

Thanks for the link...love the idea of Manuel running the R-O with both Spiller and Freddie in the backfield.

It certainly would be a unique personnel grouping. The Bills were already gifted with two highly talented running backs, I would love to see this scenario.

I think the operative word there is "as". Teams will be spending the entire offseason looking to beat it, and everybody is almost assured to try it. The only thing that will be different is on how you tailor it to the skills of your people. In the Bills case, they may have the advantage of being able to work with three dyamnic players. The read option can also be used as a quick play action fake, determined at the line. So while everyone is on run blocking, suddenly there is a mismatch for our WR's. Also, you can let Spiller and Freddy run, then do a quick screen to Spiller with Freddy out in front to block. There are a lot of ways it can be used, and as long as new wrinkles can be put in to force opponents to pick their poison between Spiller, Freddy and EJ, it could be deadly.

Of course, this relies heavily on EJ being able to read a defense correctly.

Bill hit it on the head - it is just hope. I am tired of these special pistol offenses, these run option, west coast b-s. We have a good line blocking unit, some great backs and we just need to run smash mouth football. We need, the entire league needs, to go back to the original fronts we ran as kids. Things are too complex and offenses spend too much time trying to beat the defense instead of just making the defense stop them. The rules, the league everything is wide open to just let the offense lead the defense.

Put two backs in, do some presnap reads and movement, let EJ figure it out as we go and play football.

I doubt if this article accurately predicts the Bills O in 2013. There's been talk coming from OBD of elements of the K-Gun and a lot of West Coast looks and the author doesn't mention this. Nor does he talk about Marrone's offensive tactics at Syracuse very much. But the article does present an exciting case for the options Marrone does have. IF guys live up to their potential, Marrone & Hackett will be having fun this year. So, too, us fans.

Iron Butterfly, thanks for the link. It was a good read.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Good article, and I agree if we put our players in the proper positions and mix things up, this offense could be nightmarish to defend...

speed all over the field and a game breaking RB that is electric in space...

I was getting that feeling too. Read what the defense is giving you and if the pass doesn't suit it, then take the option of running!

This will be LETHAL against opponents in the red zone. Even if we don't employ it there, with Dickerson, Gragg, and CJ, it should be very hard to stop us in that part of the field....