Are You Excited About The New Bills ?

Owen

Well, I'll give them this. By the end of every season, I'm apathetic to the point of numbness, and I could hardly care what happens in the post-season or off-season. It was especially true last season, knowing we'd be starting all over again. But they did a pretty good job dragging my ass back in, and now I'm eager to see what this new group can do.

Dammit, they did it to me again.

"Excited" might be a bit of an overstatement. I think the best characterization would be reservedly optimistic. When we've had to endure 13 years without the playoffs, your spirit gets a little bit crushed. Devoted fans will always root for their team, but there's that little voice in the back of your head that says that we'll have to endure more pain before it will get better. None the less, it's good to see change and on a dramatic level. There's an awful lot of "new" to this team. In fact, stack this team and front office side by side with 4-5 years ago. You won't find much that's common between the two. That at a minimum is good.

Well, I'll give them this. By the end of every season, I'm apathetic to the point of numbness, and I could hardly care what happens in the post-season or off-season. It was especially true last season, knowing we'd be starting all over again. But they did a pretty good job dragging my ass back in, and now I'm eager to see what this new group can do.

They did nothing to you fellow Bills fan. They merely opened the door and you jumped back in :)

"He is well respected around the league."

Not sure where that came from.

It's been a long 15 years rooting for this franchise. I'm Thankful that ol Ralphie isn't running the show any longer. However newer doesn't have to mean better. I'm still hopeful that it will be but only time will tell. If it's not it will bother me less and less each year. I think the term is apathy.

actually I am very excited about the upcoming season.

I am still a pessimist on the win loss record, but I am excited about the upcoming style of play.

specifically the entertainment and excitement of watching an Attacking style defense and EJ Manuel throwing a long ball.

I want to be, but I'm not. We go through this every handful of years. New coaches, a new QB, exciting new system that'll solve all our problems, etc. Same damned record.

I do like that we seem to have gotten a younger and more exciting coach. I like our QB prospect, as well.

But... Show me the baby.

I guess you could say I'm more curious than I am excited.

When have we had a QB to be excited about other than Bledsoe?

I am still skeptical.

I dont believe Wilson "stepping away" handing the steering wheel to Brandon is much of a change at all. Brandon/Littman/Overdorf have been running the show for years IMO. I dont believe that Russ Brandon had all sorts of great ideas and a 93 year old Ralph Wilson shot them all down. I think that under the current structure, the GM position is greatly minimalized compared to other teams.

I do hope they all prove me wrong, but I have been beaten down too much as a fan of the Bills.

I am intrigued/happy with the coaching staff. With the right coaching, and if some secondary gets their acts together, the defense could be good. With a good D, CJ Spiller, Fred Jackson, with a well crafted playbook, gives them a puncher's chance in every game.

So I am excited for the season, as I usually am. However I dont see this as the "New Bills". I feel they were headed in a decent direction with their limiting managing structure. Coaching and QB play held them back last season. They have the athletes to be a playoff team.

Edited by May Day 10

The first step is admitting it.

I find myself wanting Doug Marrone, Doug Whaley to succeed and win games asap more then in any time in the past 13 years.

Over the years I've been very skeptical, and so pessimistic so often that most of the board thinks I'm a hater or have a lousy attitude. Not really the case at all, as I had real reasons to doubt the success of the past head coaches, GM's. Particularly since the owner has been the acting president since 2005.

Whaley with his roots from the Pittsburgh Steelers scouting dept as they always seem to find the right players to fit their schemes. Then Marrone with his roots in that explosive Saints offense, while learning his craft under super bowl winning Sean Payton.

Although, I see this new young regime suffering some growing pains, along with the rookie QB. I have much higher expectations for three years from now then I ever had in the past. So yea, it should be interesting to see what kind of offense and defense this years team will have.

I dont think enough posters in this thread understood the question. As far as me, I am VERY excited about this new direction. This thread isnt about expectations this season, this thread is about the foundation this new regime is laying down and how we feel about it. It isnt about the past regimes, they have literally zero relevance to this regime. Here is what I find exciting about this new Bills era...

1. The FO went after the coach they wanted, one that was sought after hard by other teams, and they got him and he wanted to be here.

2. They went after a proven and aggressive DC for once rather than some old retread.

3. They were smart in FA and got value in sorely needed areas.

4. They were aggressive in the draft for once and didnt shy away from talent because of previous off field issues...they went after fast, aggressive players indicating the type of team they want to be.

5. They ditched the slow, methodical players and went after explosive and very talented players on both sides of the ball in the draft.

6. They have completely over hauled how they practice, going from slow and lame, to game speed fast and high energy.

7. They chose correctly in trying to keep Byrd over the over paid Levitre.

8. They have promoted a young up and coming GM with a great pedigree from Pitt, one of the most well run teams.

9. They removed Ralph from the equation.

10. THEY CUT FITZ! That alone is a step in the right direction.

There is more, but this list could go on and on. There isnt a single move they have made since the season end that I find questionable or a poor decision. Does it mean it will equal x number of wins on the field this year...NOT AT ALL. But the thread isnt about how much or how little success you think they will have this year, its about whether or not you are excited about this team as it sits now with an exciting new QB, rediculous speed on offense, talented young additions to the D, an aggressive and exciting DC and HC, new GM, new FO, etc.

The answer is yes, I find these changes and additions exciting. Only time will tell how it plays out, but right now, I am excited about the POTENTIAL for this team for both this year and the future.

Perhaps, but you have to know the naysayers will always counter with...

1. The FO went after the coach they wanted, one that was sought after hard by other teams, and they got him and he wanted to be here.

A guy with a mediocre record in a mediocre conference? I'm sure other teams' interest was way overblown by the media.

2. They went after a proven and aggressive DC for once rather than some old retread.

Who probably just followed Rex's lead. We'll see how much of that defense was his.

3. They were smart in FA and got value in sorely needed areas.

You say "smart", others say "outbid". Plenty of teams, like Miami, got a lot better while we treaded water.

4. They were aggressive in the draft for once and didnt shy away from talent because of previous off field issues...they went after fast, aggressive players indicating the type of team they want to be.

Right, and except maybe for Woods, they picked a bunch of guys that everyone else thought was a reach.

5. They ditched the slow, methodical players and went after explosive and very talented players on both sides of the ball in the draft.

Oh cool, more undersized "high motor" guys.

6. They have completely over hauled how they practice, going from slow and lame, to game speed fast and high energy.

Which will probably just result in more injuries before the season even begins.

7. They chose correctly in trying to keep Byrd over the over paid Levitre.

Which they haven't even accomplished yet.

8. They have promoted a young up and coming GM with a great pedigree from Pitt, one of the most well run teams.

Trained by Buddy? What makes you think anything will be better?

9. They removed Ralph from the equation.

That's what you think.

10. THEY CUT FITZ! That alone is a step in the right direction.

Okay, I'll give you that one.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

:nana:

In spite of all of my pessimistic nature telling me not to be, I am. They might not become a winning team this year, but I believe they will at least be entertaining to watch. I haven't really enjoyed watching Bills games in quite some time. Whenever things were going good you just wait for the other shoe to drop and when things were going bad they were downright abysmal. I believe the Bills are finally building a team that won't be an embarrassment on the field. They might need a little time to make it happen and I know we've all heard that before, but it somehow feels different this time. I hope my optimism is well founded.

This off season got off to a good start when Ralph Wilson gave complete control to Russ Brandon. No more looking over your shoulder in the front office. The Buck now stops with Russ Brandon. Russ ran a great front office before this. He is well respected around the league. NOW he is in complete control and you are as strong as the leader at the top. The football side of the operation has been weak and we all know it. Buddy did a nice job in the short time while the GM and improved the team, but now we have new blood at the top. They have made great moves. The front office looks set with quality people running the show. The Bills look the same as how Pittsburgh built their club. Bills now have a exciting coach and staff. The draft was well done. If E.J. Emanuel succeeds this will be a outstanding draft. A lot hinges on how well he preforms. They could be a playoff team this year if all goes well. You have to be excited going into the season... if you are a real Bills fan... It's looking a hellva lot better this year than in past years... You have to believe.......

I'm excited. The team will be fun to watch. I have low expectations, though.