Whaley named Bills GM

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug Whaley named Bills general manager: http://www.buffalobi...=tw_buf_article

Bills President and CEO Russ Brandon said, “It is a great pleasure to name Doug Whaley to the position of General Manager today. Doug has been involved in every level of player personnel throughout his career and he will lead our efforts in reestablishing a winning tradition for this organization and our great fans.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Let's hire the assistant to the man who didn't make any real change in our record, what could possibly go wrong?

Good luck, Doug. :)

Must.....go....to....snark....side......can't....help....self....

I'm sure if Cleveland hired Whaley away last year you'd be glad such a loser left?

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Must.....go....to....snark....side......can't....help....self....

I'm sure if Cleveland hired Whaley away last year you'd be glad such a loser left?

PTR

Considering our record? Nah.

I'll change my tune once the FO's choices for coaches and players results in wins on the field. Again, I liked Nix personally, and I like Doug, from what I've seen. But I prefer wins, over likability. Hopefully Doug can make the right calls and build on what Nix did and we can get to the playoffs and further again.

I'll change my tune once the FO's choices for coaches and players results in wins on the field. Again, I liked Nix personally, and I like Doug, from what I've seen. But I prefer wins, over likability. Hopefully Doug can make the right calls and build on what Nix did and we can get to the playoffs and further again.

Exactly!

So basically you'll believe when the Bills record is slapping you in the face. Way to take a stand. You know this was a big reason why the Bills stunk for so long. We had to hire guys with resumes. Retreads. No one had the balls to find talent before it blossomed. So the Bills were always behind the curve.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

So basically you'll believe when the Bills record is slapping you in the face. Way to take a stand. You know this was a big reason why the Bills stunk for so long. We had to hire guys with resumes. Retreads. No one had the balls to find talent before it blossomed. So the Bills were always behind the curve.

PTR

I don't care if they hire the janitor to be the next GM, I just want wins. But until then, yes I'll be cynical. Have you not been watching for the last 13 years?

We can only hope Whaley is ahead of the curve on league trends and drafts better than the man he was apprenticed to. If so, the Bills may have a chance.

But yeah, before everyone gets all hyped up about every move this off-season, I'll wait for the results. After many years of poor play, it's the only logical response to this organization.

Edited by BillsVet

The delay was caused by the Rooney Rule. Oh geezzzzzzzzzzzz never mind that's only for HC's.

Actually there has been a lot of progress in the front office and on the field, much younger and more diverse. A better reflection of today's NFL. Just like everyone else let’s hope it results in wins. Cause that's all that matters.

I don't care if they hire the janitor to be the next GM, I just want wins. But until then, yes I'll be cynical. Have you not been watching for the last 13 years?

I've been watching since 1969! But I also know judging people strictly by wins and losses is stupid. It's a team game with a million things that can go right or wrong. In the end the bad organizations lose more than win, but to single out one player, coach or manager and rate them based on wins/loses is laughable.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Care to enlighten me with Saturdays winning powerball numbers? Im as sick as everyone about spending $ and time on a loosing product year after year, but I'm willing to give the new regime a chance before I write them off.

I've been watching for the last fifty years and you have the right to be cynical. The problem with the Bills was always Ralph Wilson. This is not meant to disparage the man or his contribution to the NFL. I've met him. His eyes light up when he talks about the Bills. He truly loves the team. That being said he made a lot of bad management and coaching decisions over the years. Through the mid 1980s Ralph was considered to be a bad owner. Only after Polian and Levy did he become revered.

A few years ago, after a monumental collapse against the Dolphins (Travis Henry halfback pass), I told my nephew, another avid Bills fan, that nothing would change until ownership changed. I could be wrong but Ralph giving total control to Brandon is close. What has gone on over the last few months has a decidedly different feel to it. I hope I am right, we'll see.

I guess if being asst GM for an organization that had a 33% winning percent qualifies him as competent he'll be a rousing success

I see it like this: Nix was asked to come in and help restore the Bills to respectability, help turn around a putrid roster - and, despite missing on the coach, he did upgrade the roster - which we'll see evidence of this year. Now, when he got here he knew he was only going to be doing this for a few years, so he looked around the NFL landscape and saw a couple capable young men who would be in demand as a good GM option, and instead of risking letting them get scooped up by another team in the interem, he went ahead and brought Doug in as the GM in waiting, allowing him to get accustomed to the area, to the roster, and after this past offseason, Doug certainly had a hand in hiring Marrone and Co.

It was a very wise decision by Nix - and now the Bills have one of the youngest teams in the NFL, both roster-wise, and front office-wise. We have a salary cap that is managable, too. This team went from old, ill run, with a poor roster and no prospects, and in three years has evolved into one of the youngest teams with a ton of potential. Nix did great in that regard. We are a complete 180 from then to now.