Whaley named Bills GM

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fixed that for ya.

Thanks for that. :thumbsup: Who is it that needs to change their "In Buddy I Trust" signature?

Wow, That sure flies in the face of not any time soon.

Everyone pretty much knew that Russ was FOS with that statement.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

The first time I ever heard of Doug Whaley is when we promoted Nix to GM. Peter King opined that we should have given the position instead to an young rising start like Doug Whaley, for example, rather than an older guy on the verge of retirement. King said as I recall that Whaley was highly respected in NFL circles.

A few days later, we hired Whaley and now Pete got what he was proposing: Whaley as GM. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Ian Rapoport was on GR several months ago and when Whaley was brought up, he said that he didn't know all that much about him so he asked around the league to insider guys he knew and he heard nothing but good things about Whaley from everyone. Rapoport even joked about it, saying usually you never get that, and said something to the effect of, behind the scenes some guys will badmouth other guys, but he couldn't find anyone to say one thing bad about Whaley. Rapaport was impressed himself with how well respected Whaley was.

What has Doug Whaley accomplished. Does he have any credentials to show us why he is a good fit for GM?!!

There's nowhere to go but up in this organization I guess!

Just conjecture on my part, but it looks like Whaley's finger prints are all over this draft and UDFA class. IMO, the torch was privately passed from Buddy to Whaley upon Russ Brandon's takeover at OBD.

Just conjecture on my part, but it looks like Whaley's finger prints are all over this draft and UDFA class. IMO, the torch was privately passed from Buddy to Whaley upon Russ Brandon's takeover at OBD.

I have my own conjecture about who was making the decisions on the draft, and I don't think anyone knows that wasn't there. What was very interesting to me was listening to JoeB from GR talking about it yesterday. He was as wired in as anyone on the draft with the Bills, and even in his last mock, predicted EJ Manuel as the top pick. If anyone would know a little bit, he would. And he said he had absolutely no idea whether Buddy was making the picks or Whaley or Marrone or any combination of them. He couldn't even guess. So anyone telling anyone that this is the way it went down doesn't know what they are talking about, it's just all conjecture.

Ian Rapoport was on GR several months ago and when Whaley was brought up, he said that he didn't know all that much about him so he asked around the league to insider guys he knew and he heard nothing but good things about Whaley from everyone. Rapoport even joked about it, saying usually you never get that, and said something to the effect of, behind the scenes some guys will badmouth other guys, but he couldn't find anyone to say one thing bad about Whaley. Rapaport was impressed himself with how well respected Whaley was.

While that's really the only kind of thing we have to go on - word of mouth - it is better than the alternative. Remember what a poor taste it left in the mouths of other people around the league, when Nix got the job? Those around the league may have been right. I don't think Nix was a total wash, but he was defined by his coach, and the ways in which he chose to address (and not to address) the QB situation. I don't think we'll ever find out if the late 2012 / early 2013 choices were a balance of Nix/Whaley or skewed more in one person's direction, but it will be telling if this next edition is a success.

Whaley definitely carries that impression of someone who has put in his time and worked for it, first with a respected club, and then as a respected voice in the room here. I hope that this draft has his fingerprints on it, and that it bears fruit for the Bills.