Official OTA/Minicamp Thread (May/June)

eball

What a frenetic pace. Love it!

@buffalobills

#Bills snapped the ball every 12-14 seconds in their first OTA session today. Practice Notes - Day 1: http://ow.ly/kZq0c

QB rotation

Bills head coach Doug Marrone said from the outset that the quarterback rotation would likely change daily until one signal caller began to take hold of the job. On Monday Tarvaris Jacksonicon-article-link.gif was the first quarterback through the rotation during the team period.

He was followed by Kevin Kolbicon-article-link.gif and then EJ Manuelicon-article-link.gif was third in terms of the snaps on offense.

All three had some quality throws during the practice session. Kolb had a pair of deep touchdown passes covering 70 and 65 yards on bombs to Marcus Easleyicon-article-link.gif and the rookie Rogers.

Rogers, who also had an 80-yard touchdown play on a throw from Manuel simply beat his coverage on both occasions.

“They’re calling the plays, I had a deep post on a couple of plays and I just got behind the coverage,” said Rogers. “I used my speed and size.”

Kolb also had a well-timed play along the far sideline to Brad Smithicon-article-link.gif, who made a difficult grab before stepping out of bounds. He hit T.J. Grahamicon-article-link.gif for a big gainer in the deep middle too.

Manuel, in addition to the bomb to Rogers, also threw a dart over the middle to T.J. Graham for a 20-yard pass play.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@buffalobills

#Bills snapped the ball every 12-14 seconds in their first OTA session today. Practice Notes - Day 1: http://ow.ly/kZq0c

QB rotation

Bills head coach Doug Marrone said from the outset that the quarterback rotation would likely change daily until one signal caller began to take hold of the job. On Monday Tarvaris Jacksonicon-article-link.gif was the first quarterback through the rotation during the team period.

He was followed by Kevin Kolbicon-article-link.gif and then EJ Manuelicon-article-link.gif was third in terms of the snaps on offense.

All three had some quality throws during the practice session. Kolb had a pair of deep touchdown passes covering 70 and 65 yards on bombs to Marcus Easleyicon-article-link.gif and the rookie Rogers.

Rogers, who also had an 80-yard touchdown play on a throw from Manuel simply beat his coverage on both occasions.

“They’re calling the plays, I had a deep post on a couple of plays and I just got behind the coverage,” said Rogers. “I used my speed and size.”

Kolb also had a well-timed play along the far sideline to Brad Smithicon-article-link.gif, who made a difficult grab before stepping out of bounds. He hit T.J. Grahamicon-article-link.gif for a big gainer in the deep middle too.

Manuel, in addition to the bomb to Rogers, also threw a dart over the middle to T.J. Graham for a 20-yard pass play.

Great to see that Rogers had an exceptional day.

Please don't distract me.

I'm waiting for the workout video. It should be up sometime this afternoon.

I'm waiting for someone at TBD to tell me its up...and if the next post says "it is up!" I am certain the link will take me to a man in green tights...

Oh great -- our 2nd year punter is already in danger of losing his job.

It looks like there could be a legitimate battle brewing for the punting job. Incumbent

Shawn Powellicon-article-link.gif hung some high punts in practice, but first-year player Brian Stahovichicon-article-link.gif also displayed some impressive hang time, with one punt clocking an unofficial hang time of 5.1 seconds. Stahovich also had an unofficial 4.9 hang time on another kick.

/sarcasm

Scared lemur should really just stick to reporting facts and skip the opinions. A guy hangs a couple of punts (unofficially) on the first day of OTAs and all hell breaks loose.

@buffalobills

QB rotation

Just as the gainsayers predicted.

• They're spinnin' their wheels with that up-tempo crap. It'll be 3 and out again and again and the D will get winded.
  • Rotating QBs... We have a quarterback controversy already!
  • TJ is 1st, Kolb is 2nd and EJ can't beat either one out on the first day of OTAs
  • 65, 70, and 80 yard TDs is all? I thought these guys were fast.
  • 65, 70, and 80 yard TDs? Our D must be atrocious!
  • Brad Smith ran out of bounds instead of hitting the defender and gaining more yards.
  • Only 20 yards to TJ? Bust!

I'm still holding out guarded hope for the season. Maybe they were distracted by the news of Nix stepping down.

[/s]

When the team went into 11-on-11 work the pace was ratcheted up considerably. The offense was snapping the ball after just 12 to 14 seconds came off the 40-second play clock. Even though the players have been participating heavily in the offseason conditioning program there was still some huffing and puffing at times.

These guys ain't messin' around.

All three had some quality throws during the practice session. Kolb had a pair of deep touchdown passes covering 70 and 65 yards on bombs to

Marcus Easleyicon-article-link.gif and the rookie Rogers.

Kolb also had a well-timed play along the far sideline to

Brad Smithicon-article-link.gif, who made a difficult grab before stepping out of bounds. He hit T.J. Grahamicon-article-link.gif for a big gainer in the deep middle too.

Sounds like Kolb is not planning to hand over the starting job without a fight.

I'm not surprised at all that Tavaris was the first one in today. He got the ball out of his hand much quicker than Kolb during the workouts a few weeks ago. Of course this has no bearing on what happens from here on out, just how they were slotted today.

I'm not surprised at all that Tavaris was the first one in today. He got the ball out of his hand much quicker than Kolb during the workouts a few weeks ago. Of course this has no bearing on what happens from here on out, just how they were slotted today.

Marone is rotating them each practice until one shows they are clearly the better QB. He did not give a timeline, but I would think that he wants to chose a clear #1 and #2 ASAP. For now it will be a rotation on who gets first reps.