Is anyone else worried about Da'Rick Rogers

One of the unfortunate things about Rogers from a fan perspective is that there's been so much focus on his story that very few people have written or discussed his actual strengths and weaknesses as a player.

We keep hearing how talented he is but that seems like only part of the story. What are the deficiencies in his game?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not see anyone else mention this but from some reports (sorry no link) Rogers did not really 'push' himself at Tenn Tech. Another reason he slipped to UDFA. He had solid numbers but those where more based on his God given talent. I bring this up because Rogers was also probably not pushing himself at practice either.

So now he comes to the NFL where he is the boy among men and he has to learn some fundamentals. I hope this is what ultimately decides if he stays or goes and not something else. I hope he can learn the routes and nuances of playing WR in the NFL. Rogers has the physical make up to play in the NFL: size, speed and hands. Question still remains, does he have the mental make up??

But no, you should not be concerned after 2 days of Rookie camp. He will need some time to develope. As long as he shows progress i think he will be on this team opening day.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

I worry that an UDFA is getting this much hype at all. Personally, I'm not counting on anything from him. Anything he provides would be a nice addition. But hopefully, he has grown up and realizes that he is wasting his talent. But sadly, there are people in Rogers' shoes that fail rather than succeed.

One of the unfortunate things about Rogers from a fan perspective is that there's been so much focus on his story that very few people have written or discussed his actual strengths and weaknesses as a player.

We keep hearing how talented he is but that seems like only part of the story. What are the deficiencies in his game?

I did not see anyone else mention this but from some reports (sorry no link) Rogers did not really 'push' himself at Tenn Tech. Another reason he slipped to UDFA. He had solid numbers but those where more based on his God given talent. I bring this up because Rogers was also probably not pushing himself at practice either.

So now he comes to the NFL where he is the boy among men and he has to learn some fundamentals. I hope this is what ultimately decides if he stays or goes and not something else. I hope he can learn the routes and nuances of playing WR in the NFL. Rogers has the physical make up to play in the NFL: size, speed and hands. Question still remains, does he have the mental make up??

This is interesting stuff.

Here's his NFL.com scouting report. I bolded some of the criticisms of his actual play:

STRENGTHS

Physical specimen with power and strength. Works very well over the middle, and is extremely difficult to bring down after the catch. Gets off the line well for a player of his size. Shows flexibility in adjusting to the football, making difficult catches, and getting out of his routes. Uses his body to shield defenders from making a play on the football. Smooth, with good body control when going up for the football. Strong hands allow him to grab low and wide passes adeptly. Physical run blocker when engaged, will sustain through the play.

WEAKNESSES

Off-field maturity and on-field effort have been issues. Stops his route at times if not the primary target. Body language on the field can be defeating. Lacks great explosiveness to run by corners, no extra gear. Will struggle to track the football at times. Not a very instinctual receiver, doesn't always run the routes he should, doesn't fight to get open when the play breaks down.

NFL COMPARISON

Greg Little

BOTTOM LINE

Rogers is a physical specimen with strong hands who overpowered defenders in his routes and after the catch on his way to second-team All-SEC status in 2011 (67 catches, 1,040 yards, nine TDs), and to a dominating season (78 catches for 1,207 yards and 11 TDs) while at Tennessee Tech. His immaturity off the field caused him to be dismissed from Tennessee before the 2012 season, and thus the biggest questions with Rogers will be about character concerns. While he's not a quick-twitch, vertical threat, Rogers is a big, physical receiver who works well across the middle, and has a tremendous deal of talent.

edit: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/darick-rogers?id=2540179

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Happy now that he's stepping it up with the veterans?

Rogers steps it up

It was hard not to notice Rogers exploits in the passing game. His two deep touchdown plays drew some reaction from the teammates not on the field at the time.

“The weekend was good, being out here with the rookies, and watching their film,” said Rogers. “And then being in here and getting out with the veterans—you don’t want to not impress them, so you go that much harder. But it was good getting acclimated before we got in with the veterans.”

Happy now that he's stepping it up with the veterans?

Rogers steps it up

It was hard not to notice Rogers exploits in the passing game. His two deep touchdown plays drew some reaction from the teammates not on the field at the time.

“The weekend was good, being out here with the rookies, and watching their film,” said Rogers. “And then being in here and getting out with the veterans—you don’t want to not impress them, so you go that much harder. But it was good getting acclimated before we got in with the veterans.”

There was a thread that got closed where folks were saying Rogers beat Gilmore today. Anybody know where that was reported?

Da'rick was on John Murphy and sounded like he has his stuff together IMO..

Personally not worried at all

The kid sounded as if he is clear headed and has direction. Maybe Marrone's talking to got a hold of him.

He has a good chance to make the team i think.

weird. from nearly no receivers predraft to what at first blush seems like a darned high ceiling and plenty of 'em.

There was a thread that got closed where folks were saying Rogers beat Gilmore today. Anybody know where that was reported?

In the highlights I saw, he beat Kearney and T.J. Heath. I believe he had another long TD but I don't know who was defending on that one.

YES!!!

Here is the list of people worried:

Dorin Dickerson

Marcus Easley

TJ Graham

Marquise Goodwin

Chris Hogan

Brad Smith

Kevin Norell

Brandon Kaufman

Robert Woods

Kevin Elliott

This guy could get his act together and take any one of these guys' job. As a fan I'm not worried about this guy at all, I am sure Stevie is not too worried about losing his job to da'guy. But everyone else is either starting from the same place or hasn't done a thing to lock up their roster spot in 2013...

Y'know, reading that list, I'm kinda wondering if it was a "mercy snip" to cut Jones and Nelson loose. Bills can only keep 5 or 6 of those guys. Such a different situation than last year.

So far I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Part could be the blind optimism of the three year regeneration, but this could be the first combination of talented skill players matched up with coherent coaching on offense. The main reason that I'm optimistic is that the coaching staff appears to have a plan from day one and players are practicing the schemes now. The uptempo is from the first time they hit the field. It may still fail, but it won't fail due to bad design. Now compare it to Jauron's attempt to put in a no huddle offense in the waning days of training camp.

Even if the D doesn't improve, this team should be a lot more fun to watch.