Team reports 4 more rookies have signed

Cap casualties is probably a good subject for a new thread.

I could see a scenario where all of those players are retained by the Bills.

I disagree with Joel B in that I think the most likely casualties are TJax and possibly Lindell if the kid kicker shows he's up to the job. If the kid is equal to Lindell, the Bills will go with the savings.

I still believe that Brad Smith and Erik Pears are safe. So basically Joel B's most likely cuts are my most safe.

I could see Mark Anderson being a surprise cut, less of a surprise if he doesn't pass a physical or if they think he's not 100% fit.

Fantastic job by the front office to get picks signed quickly. As for cap casualties, I think Lindell's a goner. No reason to believe Hopkins suddenly forgets how to kick, and the Vikings and Ravens established precedent for rookie Ks to come in and be successful immediately.

I still believe Brad Smith is safe, but I wouldn't rule out the Bills asking him to restructure.

Cap casualties is probably a good subject for a new thread.

I could see a scenario where all of those players are retained by the Bills.

I disagree with Joel B in that I think the most likely casualties are TJax and possibly Lindell if the kid kicker shows he's up to the job. If the kid is equal to Lindell, the Bills will go with the savings.

I still believe that Brad Smith and Erik Pears are safe. So basically Joel B's most likely cuts are my most safe.

I could see Mark Anderson being a surprise cut, less of a surprise if he doesn't pass a physical or if they think he's not 100% fit.

i agree with this. I wrote in the cap casualty thread that Pears was IMO safer than anyone in that list. I think Smith is safe considering he is a "veteran WR" but that won't mean anything if Woods is starter quality and the other rookies (Goodwin, Rogers) can even be as good as Graham was last year.

This is the best thing about the new CBA:) All the drafted positions are slotted at a price point. There is no room for negotiating anymore. Just the guaranteed money needs to be determined.

Lets Go Buffalo!!!

Late round guys were always quick

I think that the quik signing of the 5 draftees so far is a good indication that players know they need to get in and get to work if they expect to compete for a spot.

I look for at least two of the remaining three to be signed by the end of the weekend.

Kudos to russ and the staff, it really feels like the atmosphere around 1 Bills drive has been reinvigorated.

I don't see those cuts paying for those other 4 players' contracts mentioned by the above poster.

i agree with this. I wrote in the cap casualty thread that Pears was IMO safer than anyone in that list. I think Smith is safe considering he is a "veteran WR" but that won't mean anything if Woods is starter quality and the other rookies (Goodwin, Rogers) can even be as good as Graham was last year.

Good thing you used quotes--he's not much of an "actual receiver". He has 48 receptions over the past 4 years. Given his cost and the recent pickup of rookie WRs, there is no reason to keep this guy for his level of production and value.

Spiller is signed through 2015. No need to worry about him yet. As for Chandler, re-signing him won't happen until he returns from injury and shows he back to previous form. And it likely won't cost a lot to re-sign him. The question is whether the Bills want him and and if he wants to be back.

As for signing Byrd and Wood, the Bills were $13M under the cap before the rookies started to sign. Figure they'll cost about $5.5M against the cap, meaning the Bills will have ~$7.5M in cap space after they're all signed. Realize that Byrd's $6.9M franchise tender is already accounted-for in that cap space number, and any new deal he signs would likely cost at-most that much against the cap this year, meaning it's a wash and the Bills will still have ~$7.5M in cap space with which to sign Wood long-term, if they so choose. Then there are the aforementioned cuts.

Spiller is signed through 2015. No need to worry about him yet. As for Chandler, re-signing him won't happen until he returns from injury and shows he back to previous form. And it likely won't cost a lot to re-sign him. The question is whether the Bills want him and and if he wants to be back.

As for signing Byrd and Wood, the Bills were $13M under the cap before the rookies started to sign. Figure they'll cost about $5.5M against the cap, meaning the Bills will have ~$7.5M in cap space after they're all signed. Realize that Byrd's $6.9M franchise tender is already accounted-for in that cap space number, and any new deal he signs would likely cost at-most that much against the cap this year, meaning it's a wash and the Bills will still have ~$7.5M in cap space with which to sign Wood long-term, if they so choose. Then there are the aforementioned cuts.

Byrd's tag is before the 13 million?

Awesome! Thanks for the breakdown, Doc.