Bills have added 33; subtracted 19.

Here's a rundown of all of the moves that the Bills have made thus far. The Bills have obviously been very active this year.............even making a trade for a veteran player (DE/OLB J. Hughes) and trading down in R1 of the draft, both of which they rarely do. They were able to draft their franchise QB in R1 and beat out half the NFL for prized UDFA WR D. Rogers. On top of that, they were able to secure the second best haul of UDFAs including two very good players in QB J. Tuel and CB N. Robey among others. It's been an amazing transformation for just one year.

Additions

Player Pos. 2012 team Acquired via EJ Manuel QB Florida State 2013 NFL Draft - Round 1 Kevin Kolb QB Cardinals Free agent Jeff Tuel QB Washington State Undrafted free agent Kendall Gaskins RB Richmond Undrafted free agent Drew Smith RB Albany Undrafted free agent Frank Summers FB N/A Free agent Robert Woods WR USC 2013 NFL Draft - Round 2 Marquise Goodwin WR Texas 2013 NFL Draft - Round 3 Da'Rick Rogers WR Tennessee Tech Undrafted free agent Brandon Kaufman WR Eastern Washington Undrafted free agent Kevin Norrell WR Stony Brook Undrafted free agent Chris Gragg TE Arkansas 2013 NFL Draft - Round 7 Zack Chibane OG Syracuse Undrafted free agent Ryan Turnley C Pittsburgh Undrafted free agent Alan Branch DL Seahawks Free agent Izaan Cross DL Georgia Tech Undrafted free agent Aaron Tipoti DL California Undrafted free agent Manny Lawson OLB Bengals Free agent Jerry Hughes OLB Colts Trade with Indianapolis Kourtnei Brown OLB N/A Free agent Jamie Blatnick OLB N/A Free agent Keith Pough OLB Howard Undrafted free agent Kiko Alonso ILB Oregon 2013 NFL Draft - Round 2 Marcus Dowtin ILB Eagles Waiver claim Nickell Robey CB USC Undrafted free agent Vernon Kearney CB Lane Undrafted free agent Jumal Rolle CB Catawba Undrafted free agent Kip Edwards CB Missouri Undrafted free agent Duke Williams S Nevada 2013 NFL Draft - Round 4 Jonathan Meeks S Clemson 2013 NFL Draft - Round 5 Jordan Dangerfield S Towson Undrafted free agent Dustin Hopkins K Florida State 2013 NFL Draft - Round 6 Brian Stahovich P N/A Free agent

Subtractions

Player Pos. Departure 2013 team Ryan Fitzpatrick QB Released Titans Tyler Thigpen QB Free agency unsigned Corey McIntyre FB Free agency unsigned Donald Jones WR Free agency Patriots David Nelson WR Free agency Browns Ruvell Martin WR Free agency unsigned Joe Sawyer TE Released unsigned Adam Grant OT Released unsigned Andy Levitre OG Free agency Titans Chad Rinehart OG Free agency Chargers Kyle Moore DE Free agency Bears Chris Kelsay DE Retired N/A Shawne Merriman DE Retired N/A Spencer Johnson DT Free agency unsigned Nick Barnett ILB Released unsigned Kelvin Sheppard ILB Traded Colts Kirk Morrison ILB Free agency unsigned Terrence McGee CB Released unsigned George Wilson S Released Titans

There is not really one guy that is gone that I want on this team outside of Andy Levitre, and I didn't think we should have paid him all that much money.

I was disappointed that we didn't tender or sign Nelson, who I think is good, but it now makes complete sense knowing we are going to be this speed team.

There is not really one guy that is gone that I want on this team outside of Andy Levitre, and I didn't think we should have paid him all that much money.

I was disappointed that we didn't tender or sign Nelson, who I think is good, but it now makes complete sense knowing we are going to be this speed team.

+1 on Levitre and I think Kaufman will fill Nelson's roster spot just fine, jmo.

I was disappointed to see Corey Mac go (duh-see my avatar). He's healthy, he's a monster on special teams, has more speed than you'd think and in the limited glimpses we saw it looked as though he had decent hands and a sense for the sideline and tough to bring down as a runner (KC game last fall). But those were glimpses. Maybe he was under-utilized by Chan, or maybe there's a reason we never saw more than glimpses. Anyway, the Bills made him an offer that fit their value for him, and it wasn't enough for him to take it without "testing the market" for a 34 yr old ST ace/fullback with 11 seasons under his belt. Teams value youth, too, and sooner or later you know he's gonna lose a step; that's the risk with that "test the market" strategy. Maybe the downhill slide started last year, from what the new coaches saw on film. I wish Swamp Boy the best, and hope he's picked up somewhere.

I was also disappointed to see Nick Barnett and David Nelson go. Folks here were down on Barnett, but I really feel he was placed out of position last year. Both were recovering from knee injuries, and we don't know how their rehabs were going. It's also reasonable for the new staff to focus on young guys with less injury history and a potentially higher ceiling. I can't say I'd rather have Nelson on the roster than Woods or Da'rick.

And yes, Levitre, but I don't think he fits the mold of where Marrone wants the line to go.

The biggest "dark horse" move for me was Shep for Hughes. Were they both out of place on their respective teams and they'll both thrive in new schemes? Good deal for us? Did we prematurely "bust" a relatively high draft pick (Shep) for a perennial under-performer who has had more time to "get it" and hasn't "gotten it" yet? Time will tell.

Nelson doesn't appear to fit the mold of speed receiver that Marrone apparently wants and is very serious about. He is trying to come back from a serious injury as well so I'm sure that was a big factor as well. I think Marrone's days in New Orleans really influenced him regarding how to build a successful NFL offense. N.O. HC, S. Payton, who Marrone worked for as an offensive assistant coach, has a great offensive mind and has taught Marrone the ins and outs of running a successful offense in the NFL. He has had nothing but good things to say about Marrone and his potential as an offensive mind/NFL HC. I think that it's great to see that we have a HC who has a definitive plan when it comes to building an offense.

Nelson doesn't appear to fit the mold of speed receiver that Marrone apparently wants and is very serious about. He is trying to come back from a serious injury as well so I'm sure that was a big factor as well. I think Marrone's days in New Orleans really influenced him regarding how to build a successful NFL offense. N.O. HC, S. Payton, who Marrone worked for as an offensive assistant coach, has a great offensive mind and has taught Marrone the ins and outs of running a successful offense in the NFL. He has had nothing but good things to say about Marrone and his potential as an offensive mind/NFL HC. I think that it's great to see that we have a HC who has a definitive plan when it comes to building an offense.

Lord knows I hope Marrone is the greatest coach the Bills have ever had grace the sidelines, but I remember Cowher talking up Gailey when we got him too. Just saying.

I'm in complete agreement with Kelly. The talent we now have at WR is arguably and potentially beyond that which we've ever had at any given time.

Hmmm.. I'm drinking the Kool-aid too, but these guys have to show it. Quickly thinking, Reed, Lofton & Beebe are likely all-time best, but Hill, Rashad & Chandler#81 couldn't be stopped either, just short lived. Bass, Duby & Warlick were pretty formidable for their day as well.

Yes, the speed alone gives these new guys a helluva start! Will they be NFL ballers is yet TBD.

I'm in complete agreement with Kelly. The talent we now have at WR is arguably and potentially beyond that which we've ever had at any given time.

The key word you used is potential. Thats all it is right now. Lets not forget the Reed, Lofton, Beebe, Metzelaars and Thurman out of the back field years. Not raining on your parade but these rooks have to prove it on the field along with Graham, who had cinder block hands at times last year. No kool aid for me yet.

Hmmm.. I'm drinking the Kool-aid too, but these guys have to show it. Quickly thinking, Reed, Lofton & Beebe are likely all-time best, but Hill, Rashad & Chandler#81 couldn't be stopped either, just short lived. Bass, Duby & Warlick were pretty formidable for their day as well.

Yes, the speed alone gives these new guys a helluva start! Will they be NFL ballers is yet TBD.

Hill, Rashad and Chandler were ridiculous as far as talent goes and who they were over their careers, but they never really got to play together much on the Bills, and Ferguson was still way too green. I would take them over Reed, Lofton and Beebe any day as far as talent goes, even though those three were great too. But Reed, Lofton and Beebe on the field, as Bills, really produced.

That said, the best duo together may have been Jerry Butler and Frank Lewis. Both of which were phenomenal talents.

That's a lot of turnover and there will br more before the season for a team with a GM that is supposed to be in year 4 of a rebuilding program

Nix's biggest fault was his choice of H.C. - but, after getting that coach, it's obvious he worked with Gailey and Wanny to aquire players. Either way - many GM's have had 5, 6, 7 years to build a team and never have made the Super Bowl. If this draft works out, Nix will have built a YOUNG, talented team that is set to only get better for the next 3 or 4 years. It took him a year or two longer than we'd of expected, but I LIKE the way this team is built. I like our roster A LOT. I think all I could ask for, roster-wise, as improvement, would be another top notch CB, a TE like San Fran's or New Englands, and maybe a proven NT or OLB, and LG. That's 4 or 5 spots on the roster that could be improved to have a Madden-esque roster. How many teams have the ideal player at every position? Not many. I'm really happy with where we are today, and where I see us going over the next few years.

I agree. I was one of the people most critical of letting Nelson go, and very unhappy with the loss of Levitre. But the acquisitions in the draft at WR make me feel I overreacted.

It remains to be seen who will play left guard, but I'm hoping they can get at least adequate performance from somebody there. I hope the o-line does not take too much of a step back.

If the coaches can bring these players along, maybe the season won't be quite the significant step backward i expected. I'm still not convinced the offense is going to score more than it did last season. We'll see.

You're spot on.

The key word you used is potential. Thats all it is right now. Lets not forget the Reed, Lofton, Beebe, Metzelaars and Thurman out of the back field years. Not raining on your parade but these rooks have to prove it on the field along with Graham, who had cinder block hands at times last year. No kool aid for me yet.

And I did so quite intentionally. I've got a cup to my lips, and am rooting for this year's squad all the way. Whether things pan out like I hope remains to be seen. That's all I can do. The rest is up to the coaches and players.

I must say, I'm more excited this offseason than I was the last two.

Go Bills!

Hill, Rashad and Chandler were ridiculous as far as talent goes and who they were over their careers, but they never really got to play together much on the Bills, and Ferguson was still way too green. I would take them over Reed, Lofton and Beebe any day as far as talent goes, even though those three were great too. But Reed, Lofton and Beebe on the field, as Bills, really produced.

That said, the best duo together may have been Jerry Butler and Frank Lewis. Both of which were phenomenal talents.

Also, don't forget that the NFL was not nearly the passing league back then as it is now. Couple that with Fergy, who was very green and didn't throw many passes during the early/mid 70s, and I think it accentuates the talent those three guys had.

But I do think you're right, if we're considering the best starting two, I think I'd go with Butler-Lewis. If Chris Burkett didn't turn out to be such a head case, he and Reed were a promising duo.

And there, IMO, lies the answer to the question "why did we draft Goodwin when we had Graham on the roster?". According to Whaley, Goodwin can lay down the lumber blocking, which I have seen on film. I have never seen Graham block effectively - link if I'm wrong, please? Graham did indeed show cinder block hands, as well as route-running mistakes. If Goodwin is faster, a better all-around player (blocker) and has better hands and study habits - Graham's football career could be short if he doesn't shape up

Me think we are putting too much weight on new rookie receivers. Very few times do receivers make an impact the first year. More than one on a team?? Hardly ever. Than there is always that thing about someone has to trhow it to them. Another unknown. We shall see. I don't think 8-8 is possible this year. Too many key positions with unknown talent.

And I did so quite intentionally. I've got a cup to my lips, and am rooting for this year's squad all the way. Whether things pan out like I hope remains to be seen. That's all I can do. The rest is up to the coaches and players.

I must say, I'm more excited this offseason than I was the last two.

Go Bills!

:thumbsup:

Lord knows I hope Marrone is the greatest coach the Bills have ever had grace the sidelines, but I remember Cowher talking up Gailey when we got him too. Just saying.

There is a slight difference in that Marrone was in demand. He would have had interviews and most likely gotten an NFL job. No one wanted Gailey when the Bills hired him. He was about option 5 at the time. I am not saying that Marrone will be great (I hope that he is) but he in Gailey were certainly in different places at the time of their hire.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

And don't forget Jerry jones who said firing Chan was his greatest regret! lol