Jairus Byrd: Jason Peters Part II?

Dawgg

With all due respect and with also realizing how Pettine likes to use his safeties historically, I just can't agree with this. I haven't seen how he would line Byrd up, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't used like he used Ed Reed in Baltimore; a centerfield playmaker for the most part. And while he loves to use his SS with his LBs on overload blitzes, I'd be surprised if he preferred Byrd in that role given Byrds playmaking ability. But neither safety role would be considered more important than his best pass-rushing DE/OLB. Indeed, it just may turn out that BECAUSE Pettine has a Mario Williams that he might be more willing to see how a younger player does should Byrd opt to sit out (which I highly doubt). Losing Williams would be more harmful to the defense given the importance of pressuring the passer.

GO BILLS!!!

Even a "good" end is more impactful than a top safety..... Hence we were talking 16m in the Mario conversations and half that in the Byrd talks.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason Peters revisited: Bills, agent say trade won't affect Jairus Byrd

June 1, 2013 - 6:02 PM

By Tim Graham

There isn't a contract scoreboard in Russ Brandon's office.

Influential agent Eugene Parker might have forced the Buffalo Bills to trade left tackle Jason Peters four years ago, but that doesn't mean safety Jairus Byrd's situation will be considered a rematch.

In interviews for a Parker profile that will run in Sunday morning's Buffalo News, he and Brandon revisited the Peters contract standoff in light of Byrd's contract negotiations.

Click for the rest of the article: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/06/jason-peters-revisited-bills-agent-say-trade-wont-affect-jairus-byrd.html

Byrd will NOT be starting week 1.

this is going to be a long drawn out process.

it's going to get ugly.

I say he reports around week 10 just in time to get credit for a vested year.

it's going to get ugly

I believe Parker told Peters to report to the team before the season started. I'm sure he'll do the same for Byrd.

it's certainly possible, but without a long term deal, the ONLY way Byrd signs his franchise tag is IF the bills agree NOT to use the franchise tag again next year. if and when that happens, he's gone after this season.

it's certainly possible, but without a long term deal, the ONLY way Byrd signs his franchise tag is IF the bills agree NOT to use the franchise tag again next year. if and when that happens, he's gone after this season.

shhhh, the people that think Byrd absolutely must sign his deal with no other options will get you.

He'll have to sign the tag sometime. He won't sit-out the entire year and lose-out on $6.9M. And as I said in another thread, sitting out half the season is about $3.5M lost, which would be dumb.

He'll have to sign the tag sometime. He won't sit-out the entire year and lose-out on $6.9M. And as I said in another thread, sitting out half the season is about $3.5M lost, which would be dumb.

at this point it's all about the "guaranteed" money that comes with a long term contract. which in Byrd's case is $20-25 million. absent a long term deal, sitting out half the season makes sense.

Byrd's choices:

#1- sign a long term deal

#2- sign the 1 year franchise tag BEFORE the season starts ONLY if bills guarantee not to use tag next year.

#3- sign the 1 year franchise tag AFTER season starts, at the last possible game in order to get credited with a vested year.

#4- (unlikely) not sign the franchise tag.

Edited by papazoid

Exactly -- this was the premise of my original post. Byrd has no incentive to sign the franchise tender. He's a durable player and knows that he will get paid regardless, why give the Bills a hometown discount when they spent $100M on Mario Williams?

1. Byrd wanted to test the market and the Bills prevented him from doing so with the franchise tag.

2. Byrd believes he is better than Dashon Goldson who signed for 5 years ($41.25 million total) with $22 million guaranteed.

3. Assuming he has taken care of his money and isn't broke, why sign the tender when he can sit out and force a trade to someone who will pay him?

The ONLY way Parker lets him sign the tender is if the Bills agree not to use the tag next year, like they did with Clements (this would be a dumb move on the Bills' part, and I wouldn't put it past this front office). Barring that measure, Jairus has little reason to sign and quite frankly, he's doing the right thing.

Exactly -- this was the premise of my original post. Byrd has no incentive to sign the franchise tender. He's a durable player and knows that he will get paid regardless, why give the Bills a hometown discount when they spent $100M on Mario Williams?

1. Byrd wanted to test the market and the Bills prevented him from doing so with the franchise tag.

2. Byrd believes he is better than Dashon Goldson who signed for 5 years ($41.25 million total) with $22 million guaranteed.

3. Assuming he has taken care of his money and isn't broke, why sign the tender when he can sit out and force a trade to someone who will pay him?

The ONLY way Parker lets him sign the tender is if the Bills agree not to use the tag next year, like they did with Clements (this would be a dumb move on the Bills' part, and I wouldn't put it past this front office). Barring that measure, Jairus has little reason to sign and quite frankly, he's doing the right thing.

Being a durable player doesn't mean he can't get hurt and the Bills did not spend $100M on Williams.

Being a durable player doesn't mean he can't get hurt and the Bills did not spend $100M on Williams.

Of course not - there's always a risk. One way to mitigate that risk is to sit out most of the season and show up in Week 10 to get the full season credit. Byrd will get paid and he shouldn't (and won't) take a penny less from the Bills.

Byrd is in the ideal situation...

prime of his life age wise, is healthy and most important his talent level got him named to the second team ALL PRO.

rookies wage scale is fixed in owners favor.

older veterans are not getting what they think they should (some yelling collusion)in owners favor.

most contracts are "one-way". player can be cut at any time if underperforms....in owners favor.

THIS IS LIKELY HIS ONE AND ONLY CHANCE TO CASH IN BIG.....the only thing that really matters is the GUARANTEED MONEY.

Making Byrd a long term top paid safety may not be the right move.

Look he's a solid safety, a ball hawk, sure tackler and a durable player, but is Free safety going to be a critical Position in Pettines defense? Can't recall who the jets starting safety has been over the past few years.

In a vacuum he's a no brainier, but at OBD they likely weigh a long term Byrd deal for big money which we can reasonably expect Parker is going to get him, against losing spiller, wood, kolb, or someone else.

If cap space is there, a one year tag deal is logical, but a long term big money deal might just not make sense.

Is there really that big of a drop off in impact between top safety and an open market average safety... Remember the bills made the superbowl with Mark Kelso at free safety...

Charles Woodson is one example of a few possible stop gaps while we see what talent the new crop holds. There are others.

To all you fools who don't think Byrd makes a difference...you are wrong. He creates turnovers. Creating turnovers is the ultimate goal on defense. He's the one player the Bills have that is really good at doing so. Jason Peters was traded for Eric Wood, Danny Batten, and Shaun Nelson. When you have a known commodity, you don't risk giving it away for an unknown.

To all you fools who don't think Byrd makes a difference...you are wrong. He creates turnovers. Creating turnovers is the ultimate goal on defense. He's the one player the Bills have that is really good at doing so. Jason Peters was traded for Eric Wood, Danny Batten, and Shaun Nelson. When you have a known commodity, you don't risk giving it away for an unknown.

i don't think there's too many here that think Byrd doesn't make a difference. Just if hell be resigned or traded.

Despite Byrd's better overall stats to Goldson, I'd still just offer him a 5-year $40M deal with $21M guaranteed, take it or leave it. Goldson came off a 1st team AP All-Pro season while Byrd was 2nd team. What he did (mostly as a rookie) has no bearing on his contract today.

Despite Byrd's better overall stats to Goldson, I'd still just offer him a 5-year $40M deal with $21M guaranteed, take it or leave it. Goldson came off a 1st team AP All-Pro season while Byrd was 2nd team. What he did (mostly as a rookie) has no bearing on his contract today.

Spoken like someone who only looks at stats and doesn't actually watch the games. Anyone with half a brain and access to actually watch the games knows Byrd is better now than he was as a rookie, despite not having as many interceptions.

Edited by cantankerous

This is 100% spot on. Jason Peters was vastly underpaid and this boneheaded front office handed Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker mega-deals. It's hard to blame him when he has to play alongside inferior talents who are paid like they were stars.

Same with Byrd. He has watched the front office sign Kyle Williams and Chris Kelsay to 2 extensions. He has watched them hand McKelvin $5M a year when he has yet to prove that he is a starting caliber CB. He watched the Bills give $100M to Mario Williams whose effort was openly questioned by his teammates. The Bills put themselves in this position and in order to keep him, they need to pay up.

My hunch is that Byrd and his agent want a market value contract from another team. The Bills got the message and drafted accordingly.

Yes. He will be leaving IMO.