Buddy on the John Murphy show

Giving some great insight on where the Bills defense is heading. Paraphrasing:

1. Kelving is a good pure MLB. The Bills won't be using a pure MLB. Kelvin is better suited for Indy's scheme.

2. Hughes was heavily scouted coming out of school. He's versatile and can play multiple roles and can run.

3. Pettine said during that draft that the days of the old school alignments are almost over. LB's need to be able to switch between the Mike and Will. Bringing a safety down in tight adds even more versatility. Wants all LB's to be able to switch.

4. This defense is going to have people all over. Pay little attention to the position titles next to names.

Gentlemen, I'm going to make a prediction. The Bills defense won't look anything like the garbage that Wanny ran last year. There's going to be guys all over the place. It'll take some time for it to become comfortable so I'd expect they give up some yards early on. BUT, they are gonna put some hits on people and teams are going to leave RWS bloodied and bruised.

I CAN'T WAIT!

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

1. Kelving is a good pure MLB. The Bills won't be using a pure MLB. Kelvin is better suited for Indy's scheme.

2. Hughes was heavily scouted coming out of school. He's versatile and can play multiple roles and can run.

3. Pettine said during that draft that the days of the old school alignments are almost over. LB's need to be able to switch between the Mike and Will. Bringing a safety down in tight adds even more versatility. Wants all LB's to be able to switch.

4. This defense is going to have people all over. Pay little attention to the position titles next to names.

Gentlemen, I'm going to make a prediction. The Bills defense won't look anything like the garbage that Wanny ran last year. There's going to be guys all over the place. It'll take some time for it to become comfortable so I'd expect they give up some yards early on. BUT, they are gonna put some hits on people and teams are going to leave RWS bloodied and bruised.

I CAN'T WAIT!

I think you are spot on. Can't wait to see the new D in action.

I CAN'T WAIT!

Great interview - how can ya NOT be excited after hearing that? The whole time I was thinking about how different this team is than it was, hell, even a few weeks ago. If some of these rookies can play, watch out baby!!

Edited by Heitz

It'll take some time for it to become comfortable so I'd expect they give up some yards early on.

Sounds like it might be a Chinese Fire Drill at SJF....hope they add Dansby to add some stability in the middle of the field.

I CAN'T WAIT

A fellow was listing starters and my response is something like how will you know for sure whom are the starters? It might be packages and waves and subpackages. the starter is not what it used to be. It is becoming more of a Whole Team type of game on defense. And with our versatilty seeming improved just this year , the Bills can keep players on the field for more reps and possibly lose little from down to down. from run to pass and vice versa.

Also the Bills game under Mike already appears Much more aggresive. So your prediction is easy to make but i will bet you a beer against your prediction because either way we both have a beer.

:thumbsup:

Good post up Mike

eric in Fairport

Edited by 3rdand12

It sure looks like you're correct. At a minimum,they should be fun to watch. And vicious.

Yeah, I think that is what I'm looking forward to the most. Buddy said something to the effect of adding toughness to the defense and I think we did that by adding a lunatic like Kiko to it! I can't wait to see him go monkey on someone!

It sure looks like you're correct. At a minimum,they should be fun to watch. And vicious.

These players have had it soft with the previous regimes. I hope Pettine is able to light a fire under their belly and make these guys give their 110% on the field.

The whole point of player versatility and "eliminating position names" is confusing the offense so the QB can't make pre-snap reads. That's what absolutely KILLED us last year, regardless of what you want to say about talent level on the field. Every team knew exactly what we were running, and that moron in the press box did nothing to try and change things up. When any defensive plays were made, it was because of sheer talent or the offense screwed up.

This year is going to be FUN.

I think one real question mark will be the run defense. Can Pettine fix it with the same linemen we had last year?

Yeah, to me, that was the real mystery of what was an awful defense the past two years. It seems we have good personal upfront, so why couldn't they stop anybody on the ground?

The common perception was, our LBs were at fault. Okay, I hope that was the case, and I would add to that the incredible depth of inept coaching (I never liked the Wanny hiring from the beginning, and time proved me correct). Here's hoping the poor strategy (if we even had one), and weak LB group, is now fixed, or at least on the way to being fixed.

So back to my point, I believe the line has the talent to be good, but they need the help of a better scheme, and some decent LB play. In the end, I think the defense--especially our D Line--will be the strength of this team this coming season.

Edited by CSBill

I CAN'T WAIT!

You may be right, but Wannstedt said the exact same thing about the LBs having to be able to play both sides in the modern NFL (and safeties too). Let's wait and see what the defense looks like before we crown Pettine. I think we anointed Wannstedt a little too early.

Edited by vincec