anybody ever grow a privacy screen?

birdog1960

i'm in need of a tall privacy screen for my property line. been looking at green giant arborvitae planted about 6 feet apart. other thoughts include leyland cypress and hybrid willows. have read that these willows have invasive roots and can be messy so i've pretty much eliminated them. needs to mature to about 40 feet. anyone have experience? any other trees that might work?

I am in the same boat. I've tried two things and both have failed. Tried some eunonymous to grow a hedge and the deer ate them. Then tried planting arborvitae last spring (about 3 feet high, supposedly to grow to over 25 feet), but looks like salt from the road over the winter killed a lot of them.

My wife was told that leyland cypress are the way to go.

I actually have a landscaper coming to give me some advice next week, and will post what he says.

It's been a frustrating experience.

i'm in need of a tall privacy screen for my property line. been looking at green giant arborvitae planted about 6 feet apart. other thoughts include leyland cypress and hybrid willows. have read that these willows have invasive roots and can be messy so i've pretty much eliminated them. needs to mature to about 40 feet. anyone have experience? any other trees that might work?

You gonna grow a pot farm back there??

Blueberry bushes work great. Some get 6'+. They flower in spring, produce upwards of 30# berries per bush, folliage in fall. They last 50 years, and are easy to spread with cuttings. I also like cedar trees as a border

You gonna grow a pot farm back there??

nope. just for privacy from the new neighbors. it has to be high. i keep reading great stuff about these green giants. i can get 12 footers for $120 which would be a great start but would be terrible if they failed. if it worked it would be well worth it even including the cost of installation. one large strategically place fur will help immediately. expensive but also worth it if it works. anybody had a big fir planted? i've also read that starting smaller results catching up very quickly if they do a good job with the roots. smaller is much cheaper but i'm after fast results.

nope. just for privacy from the new neighbors. it has to be high. i keep reading great stuff about these green giants. i can get 12 footers for $120 which would be a great start but would be terrible if they failed. if it worked it would be well worth it even including the cost of installation. one large strategically place fur will help immediately. expensive but also worth it if it works. anybody had a big fir planted? i've also read that starting smaller results catching up very quickly if they do a good job with the roots. smaller is much cheaper but i'm after fast results.

This is the one or norway spruce .You want evergreen ,because it blocks the sound also. Norway grow about 3 ft a year. ThuJa`s green giants grow faster.

I am in the same boat. I've tried two things and both have failed. Tried some eunonymous to grow a hedge and the deer ate them. Then tried planting arborvitae last spring (about 3 feet high, supposedly to grow to over 25 feet), but looks like salt from the road over the winter killed a lot of them.

My wife was told that leyland cypress are the way to go.

I actually have a landscaper coming to give me some advice next week, and will post what he says.

It's been a frustrating experience.

Leyland cypress don`t live long. How old are you ?White pine ,Norway spruce, Thuja green giant is the way I would go. I have 30 acres and I planted Autumn olive on my one side. Nothing kills them ,they grow fast,smell good and the birds..turkeys love the berries. They are supposed to be invasive,but I haven`t noticed after 8 yrs. I plant about 150 things a year. Probably planted a thousand things in my 9 yrs here. Look up pine grove nursery in pa. if you want great prices on seedlings,it`s a friend and his prices are the best.

This is the one or norway spruce .You want evergreen ,because it blocks the sound also. Norway grow about 3 ft a year. ThuJa`s green giants grow faster.

Leyland cypress don`t live long. How old are you ?White pine ,Norway spruce, Thuja green giant is the way I would go. I have 30 acres and I planted Autumn olive on my one side. Nothing kills them ,they grow fast,smell good and the birds..turkeys love the berries. They are supposed to be invasive,but I haven`t noticed after 8 yrs. I plant about 150 things a year. Probably planted a thousand things in my 9 yrs here. Look up pine grove nursery in pa. if you want great prices on seedlings,it`s a friend and his prices are the best.

My issue is we live in a corner lot and our side yard abuts a main road. That's where I want to plant my hedge. But it's a long stretch--probably need 20 trees-- and seems like the salt from the road is going to be an issue (plus deer).

I can be patient, but I have a toddler and was hoping a hedge could be a natural fence to keep her in the yard.

Will have to check out that nursery. Looks like clearfield county, which isn't too far from me (Pittsburgh). Thanks.

Mind the way that you plant them. I see many times where homeowners plant these right on top of each other when small but then when mature they grow into each other are are all woody. Suggestion: set your plantings in two rows alternating the spacing so it looks like a zig zag pattern. To provide some visual ease to your hedge add some other plants / trees to the run (blue spruce, hemlock, etc).

i keep reading great stuff about these green giants. i can get 12 footers for $120 which would be a great start but would be terrible if they failed. if it worked it would be well worth it even including the cost of installation.

This is the best solution, we put in several of the Green Giants a few years ago...maybe they were 3-4 ft, now they are at least 15ft...fast growing, deer proof, very strong they don't bear much of a snow load and remain intact unlike other arborvitaes that will split or bend. These are great trees, I think they'll get up to 60'.

Oh and JR, we planted them about 15-20 from a busy road...they have sustained no salt damage over the years.

I'll get my gf to answer later. She is an expert with all plants

She said a Leyland or arborvitae in the mean time. No to the willows.

If you are just looking for a fast tree. A royal empress will grow as tall as your house in a year

I'll get my gf to answer later. She is an expert with all plants

She said a Leyland or arborvitae in the mean time. No to the willows.

If you are just looking for a fast tree. A royal empress will grow as tall as your house in a year

fast is necessary. the new residence next to us is in our line of sight from the living room. we have tons of windows and could blind them but it's not an appealling option. the home is about 150 feet away but sits on a rise. so im thinking thuja's for the property line and another fast growing single tree closer to my house between the windows and the view. that's where i was thinking about a rather mature spruce to get immediate privacy in my living room. don't know anything about the tree you mentioned. will look it up.