Biggest Remaining Weakness (Post Draft)

Love the summary from the OP. CB is where we need to find at least one more major contributor. We have Gilmore/McKelvin/Brooks/Rogers with possible contributions from A. Williams and D. Williams. The Bills signed McKelvin to a fairly big contract so Pettine may think that he can get more out of McKelvin than he has shown previously. I think we need to pursue a solid vet CB some how some way to make us more competitive. Can somebody provide the list of FA CBs that are still available as well as any that might e available via trade?? CB is still a big need for us. I say that we sign OG B. Moore and ILB/OLB K. Dansby ASAP. That would help to solidify two positions. We could still use some help at TE if Chandler is not healthy enough to start the season, but if he is healthy it is not as big of a concern. I would like to see us acquire a big RB for short yardage/goal line situations. Other than that, we're ready to compete. Obtaining WR D. Rogers could be huge.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CB is a definite weakness, #3 and #4.

TE is a definite weakness.

OG is a clear question mark.

ILB is still a question mark since we're relying on a rookie mid 2nd rounder to not make it a ?

QB is still a huge question mark until someone plays well, considering it's Kolb and an unproven raw rookie.

Well short of a ribbon and bow, this wraps it up neatly.

I would love to see B Moore signed now.

As others pointed out, many teams grabbed OL and even two OG went in the first 15 picks (i believe). This should help the price to be right more.

Whoever is playing QB needs a good OL in front of them. To me B Moore helps solidify the line and gives a younger guy time to develop.

My mind goes back to the Bills 49ers and Bills Pats games from last year. Who stops the run? Still think we need more than the addition of Lawson & Alonso. Perhaps it's the same players with a different scheme but I still want to see Dansby or someone similar as a rock in the middle of our Defence.

QB is THE question mark no matter who starts the season as #1.

O-line worries me, but, it's obvious that it doesn't worry the FO or coaching staff.

LB...can the Alonso contribute day 1? Will Bradham flourish in this defense?

CB...do we have enough there?

The team really needs to show me......but if we are looking at "weaknesses"

- QB does not worry me....Kolb is a starting caliber QB who cant stay healthy....but honest how long do they really want to start him anyway....the future of the QB position has been drafted. I understand if not starting EJ on day one....but I def think the EJ Manuel era comes sometime later in the year....then Kolb makes a pretty darn good back up QB

- I would be worried about OL if we were switching OL all over the place to compensate for loss of Levitre...I don't get the sense that they plan to do that...all the other positions are both solid AND they have depth

- This is my personal opinion but I think Nigel Bradham FLOURISHES in this defense......they brought in Manny Lawson.....now they have Kiko......3 out of the 4 LBs can cover AND there are some real hitters there......Shep suddenly becomes the not counted on guy to make plays anymore

- The WR cup is now full rather then trying to figure out who they can count on besides Stevie....

- I do worry a bit about safety.....Byrd is franchized and not happy....this will be Searcy's first starting year......Pettine runs multiple safety defenses......and we signed mid round safety picks....now Duke looks promising...but he is in fact a rookie.

D-front 7...can they stop the run regardless of who lines up where?

After all is said and done we are still 6-7 years behind the times. The NFL is now more like the NBA. It is less a team sport and more a coaching/star player/match-up/exploit weakness league than ever before. Credit the Bills for starting this trend with the K-gun. But now we have no players that are clear match-up problems for other teams. We do not have a 6-5 WR that can simply out-muscle two defenders. We do not have a dominant run or pass blocking OL. We have no TE that can beat a LB or a safety let alone force the defense to adjust. At best we have an olympic long jump guy to play the role of underneath WR. We have a RB that can split out of the back field but we have no idea if he can play the ball in the air well. And lastly we have a QB that may or may not be a read option or pocket passer. We have no freakish pass rusher and no overwhelming run stuffer.

This is what happens when the franchise changes directions and philosophies every 2-4 years. We have all the supporting personnel you need to succeed but none of the true weapons. Maybe the UDFA WR from Tenn will be the weapon at WR.

Look for 6-10 maybe 7-9 unless Kolb turns out to be some type of Drew Brees in the making under Marrone. Then next year they take a difference maker at DE/OLB or WR/TE.

After all is said and done we are still 6-7 years behind the times. The NFL is now more like the NBA. It is less a team sport and more a coaching/star player/match-up/exploit weakness league than ever before. Credit the Bills for starting this trend with the K-gun. But now we have no players that are clear match-up problems for other teams. We do not have a 6-5 WR that can simply out-muscle two defenders. We do not have a dominant run or pass blocking OL. We have no TE that can beat a LB or a safety let alone force the defense to adjust. At best we have an olympic long jump guy to play the role of underneath WR. We have a RB that can split out of the back field but we have no idea if he can play the ball in the air well. And lastly we have a QB that may or may not be a read option or pocket passer. We have no freakish pass rusher and no overwhelming run stuffer.

This is what happens when the franchise changes directions and philosophies every 2-4 years. We have all the supporting personnel you need to succeed but none of the true weapons. Maybe the UDFA WR from Tenn will be the weapon at WR.

Look for 6-10 maybe 7-9 unless Kolb turns out to be some type of Drew Brees in the making under Marrone. Then next year they take a difference maker at DE/OLB or WR/TE.

I assume you are not counting the draft and UDFA signings we just had in your evaluation...because they haven't played yet?

The biggest remaining weakness is "Experience." Once our boys get the pads on and really know the system, I think we will be fine. Some growing pains may be expected, but hopefully we get past them quick. Team needs are RT, LG, backup/nickel CB. I'm not sold on Pears or Brown yet. We could use some CB depth, but I think Brooks is a winner. I also think Kiko and Bradham are badasses and will own the field this year. They will lay so much smack on Gronk that he'll wish he stayed in Buffalo and danced shirtless at Mickey Rats.

I don't expect the play of the guards to be the biggest problem this season. I don't expect the play of the TE's to be the reason they don't move the ball. I think almost all the teams in the NFL have weaknesses like those 2 are for the Bills. If those are their biggest faults, they should blow out most teams.

I think they will need big plays from defenders. Game changing plays, that can turn the momentum of games. On defense, the only guy that has shown that ability is Byrd. The way teams are scoring, and with the weighting of the rules towards the offense, turnovers are gold (remember the only string of wins the team put together was when they had that run of turnovers). A defense needs to stop the run, and force a team to make a mistake in the passing game to kill drives. I think the pass coverage (from DB's and LB's) is the weakest link. 3rd and long :wallbash:

The offense just needs good Qb play, and it should take off, even with only adequate guards (I think Marrone knows what he has there, and a 4th round rookie probably wouldn't make any difference). I worry that Fred Jackson will hit the wall this year.

Chandler will be fine.

It's all about how fast Manuel can develop (and Kolb might even surprise us).

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

I'm not that worried about th CB position. I imagine we will be operating like the Jets did, leaving Gilmore on an island and shading all of the coverage to the other half oof the field. If Gilmore goes down then...

Edited by Zac

Wait, is spiller not an elite playmaker? No? Okay.

I'm not that worried about th CB position. I imagine we will be operating like the Jets did, leaving Gilmore on an island and shading all of the coverage to the other half oof the field. If Gilmore goes down then...

Gilmore showed promise, but "Gilmore Island"? That's a pretty big leap of faith.

I think the need for Db's far outweighs guard or tight end, like not even close. A freakin' TE ain't gonna help this team anywhere near what an equal talent Db could.