Geno Smith vs EJ Manuel

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should Bills fans really talk when it comes to how the team matches up against the Jets?

Well we have a higher all-time winning percentage than the Jets do and we lead the all-time series against the Jets.

So why shouldn't we talk?

Er, mebbe 'cuz they've pwn'd us lately?

In the last game either team played, we "pwn'd" them 28-9.

If you're trying to support some notion that the Bills don't measure up to the Jets I would reply that history refutes that as does our most recent game.

And if you were to ask my opinion, I'd tell you that the Bills are the better organization.

In the last game either team played, we "pwn'd" them 28-9.

If you're trying to support some notion that the Bills don't measure up to the Jets I would reply that history refutes that as does our most recent game.

And if you were to ask my opinion, I'd tell you that the Bills are the better organization.

The Jets are an absolute mess right now, and I have no idea what they are doing. I almost feel sorry for Rex Ryan, how sad and bad is that?

Growing up, like most Bills fans who are 40 and older, I despised the Dolphins way more than the Jets or Patriots. It wasn't even close. After the Patriots started with the Brady/Bellichick/Beliigerent bad fans era, I surprised myself by starting to despise the Patriots as much or even more than the Dolphins. It helped, of course, because the Dolphins were sometimes really bad, and even when they were considered pretty good I never worried about them, even when they would beat us. I didn't even hate them.

Then when Rex Ryan came in, and all the bluster from their players and fans, I even started despising the Jets, and in all my years I never really hated the Jets (although I know that a lot of Bills fans hated them more than anyone).

Now I just hate all three of them equally. Perhaps for the first time (this started before last year).

But the Jets are so bad, and in such disarray right now, it's hard to truly hate them. It's like hating a sick puppy.

Yeah Kelly. They sure make an easy target even for fans of the Bills.

It's like watching a munitions warehouse burn down and every time you think the flames will finally die down, there's another explosion and the fire renews itself.

BTW, I did hate them during that New York Sack Exchange era. I hated Gastineau.

Yup. We have some of the best fans but we also have some fans that disgust me. But nothing is impressive as trashing a 22 year old kid from the behind a computer screen. Class.

I'm loving Manuel too, but I think people are piling on Smith. He went from a #1 overall during the year to #1 QB to 2nd round pick. He's 22, of course he's disappointed. If you got passed over for a promotion at work, would you be smiling? For some reason, people get on a message board and lose all prospective.

Yup. We have some of the best fans but we also have some fans that disgust me. But nothing is impressive as trashing a 22 year old kid from the behind a computer screen. Class.

I'm loving Manuel too, but I think people are piling on Smith. He went from a #1 overall during the year to #1 QB to 2nd round pick. He's 22, of course he's disappointed. If you got passed over for a promotion at work, would you be smiling? For some reason, people get on a message board and lose all prospective.

Fire away: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--geno-smith-s-firing-of-agents--pre-draft-actions-shed-light-on-why-qb-dropped-183846651.html

Jason Cole is a very good reporter. I've heard more than enough now about Smith. I'm happy he's not a Bill.

Oh it's not just playoffs he's predicting, he has already tossed around the notion of leading this team to win the SB... Seriously? C'mon kid... I know you're headed to NY but tone it down a little till you can back up your mouth with some on field action... Maybe take a practice snap or two with your new team

Man, I was bummed to read this. Love the Bills, love the great city of Buffalo and its people, but despise the tone of this thread. I can't believe some of the comments I read which are so clearly racist. There has been such a backlash against the ridiculous "PC" movement that in some circles when you object to something as sounding inappropriate, it is a great comeback to say "I don't buy that PC baloney", as if that gives a person license to make whatever racist comments they feel like.

Hmmm....sounds like one hell of an argument against the PC people. Does it not? "Find and fix" says we start with them.

The tone of the early parts of this thread were clearly racist and way out of touch with where most of our society is today and should be in the future. There are way more valid ways to criticize a young man than than attacking where he is from. And we all know that references to a person as "inner-city", "ghetto" and from the "hood" are not used to refer to white people.

Yeah. Of course "we" do. Except, for most of my life, those words refer to me, and I'm white. Should I be offended by your presumption?

But, I do get that when suburb people talk about "the hood" they are talking about black people. That's because they are suburb people, and therefore, by definition, don't know WTF they are talking about. It's just ignorance. There are a lot of ingorant people who espouse their unfounded opinions about all sorts of things.

I just don't see anybody looking to string them up/get them fired/mass attack them on twitter, anywhere near as much as the guy who says: "I don't think that black QB can handle the playbook...because he's an idiot".

The focus, in EJM's case, should be squarely on "then you are ignorant, beause the man is halfway to his master's degree, as an undergrad, and that doesn't happen with idiots". But, if we take the focus away from the ignorance, and put it on "you're only saying that because he's black, you racist!", then what exactly have we accomplished?

Well, loving this draft, and loving our new cannon-armed QB with all the new weapons. I also hope Geno proves us wrong (I don't think he will have a good career either) and has a fine career that makes the Jets the second best in the division behind our Bills (and just short of the playoffs). Let's focus our hate where it belongs Belicheat and the Fish. Flame away -- I don't care, I know what is right.

As I said, I hope Geno does just well enough to get their hopes up, but then the rest of our J Crew dashes the hell out of them.

That is the best outcome. Abject failure for Geno serves little purpose for us. The Jets already suck. No, it's better if they get better, but just enough to psych them up, so that us hanging 40+ pts on them in a half(speed kills) hurts even more.

Why do you expect people to flame you? I don't see anything here that is flameworthy. If you know it's right, why do you have to say it?

I love when i see "he's only 22". So, when are these "kids" expected to handle themselves with poise and class? They are only 22 so thats above their maturity level i guess.

Geno is an adult plain and simple.

Thank god we got EJ.

Life is not simple. People are asked be mature at much earlier ages depending on their situations. There is no specific time as to become *mature*

Racist? Half of this debate is based on another black qb being, quite possibly, one of the most mature players we have ever drafted. Genos actions, not his skin color, have shown that he is immature, and quite possibly an idiot. It is as simple as that. Look beyond the skin color. Is questioning kikos past and his speaking skills racist too, because he's Hispanic? We have made fun of buddy and chan for sounding like hillbillies. How is this any different than saying someone sounds like they jus rolled out of the ghetto?

Man, I was bummed to read this. Love the Bills, love the great city of Buffalo and its people, but despise the tone of this thread. I can't believe some of the comments I read which are so clearly racist. There has been such a backlash against the ridiculous "PC" movement that in some circles when you object to something as sounding inappropriate, it is a great comeback to say "I don't buy that PC baloney", as if that gives a person license to make whatever racist comments they feel like.

The tone of the early parts of this thread were clearly racist and way out of touch with where most of our society is today and should be in the future. There are way more valid ways to criticize a young man than than attacking where he is from. And we all know that references to a person as "inner-city", "ghetto" and from the "hood" are not used to refer to white people.

Well, loving this draft, and loving our new cannon-armed QB with all the new weapons. I also hope Geno proves us wrong (I don't think he will have a good career either) and has a fine career that makes the Jets the second best in the division behind our Bills (and just short of the playoffs). Let's focus our hate where it belongs Belicheat and the Fish. Flame away -- I don't care, I know what is right.

To add to your comments, I don't believe Smith comes from the inner city, the hood or the ghetto but rather from the 'burbs. And what does it say knowing he and EJ come from the same area, have known and played against each other over the years, and yet appear to be so very different? To me it says that the race of a man is probably not close to the deciding factor about that man's character, and that those who are intent on linking the flaws and failings to that man's race and to nothing else are indeed racist, even when attempting to disguise their bias with words like "ghetto," "hood," "inner city" and "urban."

I did not have a good feeling about GSmith. When he got picked he said something that turned me off - "I deserved t be picked after all that I went through". Granted, I don't know jack about his childhood, but to use the term "deserved" is telling. I could be wrong, but this may end up badly for the Jets.

Do you think the Jets targeted this guy or since he fell on their lap, they pulled the trigger?

The more I learn about EJ, the more I love the pick and believe in EJ. One of the things that EJ has going for that probably influences everything else is great parents. I love the fact that they were with him in NY and that his Dad was with him on the trip to Buffalo. You can tell that EJ has a great relationship with both of them. It is impossible not to root for this kid.

The more I learn about EJ, the more I love the pick and believe in EJ. One of the things that EJ has going for that probably influences everything else is great parents. I love the fact that they were with him in NY and that his Dad was with him on the trip to Buffalo. You can tell that EJ has a great relationship with both of them. It is impossible not to root for this kid.

There was a great interview with his high school coach. EJ hung around the high school in 8th grade and worked out sometimes with the players. The coach would have started him he said, he was that good and he already thought of him as a potential NFL QB. In 8th grade. Then as soon as EJ started playing, the coach wouldn't let him run, he wanted to turn him into a pocket passer because he thought he needed to be to be the all around QB he must be as a pro. As a junior and senior he allowed him to run a little more but still was grooming him to be a pro.

In college, it was somewhat of the same. FSU fans used to get mad at him for not running more and for holding the ball too long in the pocket. This led to a lot of the criticism about him for looking lost or not reading defenses well. But he still did not just take off running, which was part of Jimbo's offense. Put all together it makes a little more sense as to where he is now as a player. It will be up to Marrone and Hackett to decide when they want him to run and when they want him to be a pocket passer.

Racist? Half of this debate is based on another black qb being, quite possibly, one of the most mature players we have ever drafted. Genos actions, not his skin color, have shown that he is immature, and quite possibly an idiot. It is as simple as that. Look beyond the skin color. Is questioning kikos past and his speaking skills racist too, because he's Hispanic? We have made fun of buddy and chan for sounding like hillbillies. How is this any different than saying someone sounds like they jus rolled out of the ghetto?

Because all hillbillies sound like that obviously. :rolleyes:

I have nothing against the hood. I actually live in the hood. My point is the most important relationship on a team is between the coach and QB. If the coach can't understand what the QB is saying or the QB can't describe what's going on especially in a pressure situation, the communications are doomed and so is that team.

I call BS.

• 4 weeks later...