Reason we "reached" for QB in round one.

Under the new collective bargaining agreement, only players drafted in the first round allow teams the option to extend the rookie contact for a fifth season. If you think you have the guy that will be your starting QB in a season or two why wait for round two or three when you can take him in round one and lock him up for 5 years instead of 4. That is a huge difference when you talk about QB's and the cost of the second contact, one year matters. I am thrilled that we got Manuel in the first round because if he turns out to be a stud we get an extra season on his first contract.

Section 3. Rookie Contracts:

(a) Contract Length. Every Rookie Contract shall have a fixed and unalter-

able contract length: (i) four years for Rookies selected in the first round of the Draft, with a Club option for a fifth year as described in Section 7 below; (ii) four years for Rookies selected in rounds two through seven of the Draft (including any compensatory draft selections); and (ii)i three years for Undrafted Rookies

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

This is really irrelevent....

It doesnt really matter if they are 4 or 5 yr contracts...you still can cut them if they fail.

similarly if he is a big time success they renegotiate the contract to pay him what he is worth.

The reason they took him is because Philadelkphia would have taken him at their 2nd round pick or traded up to around 24-27 to take him.

It's especially important for raw guys that can very well sit for a year. I could even see Kolb playing the whole year, unless he gets hurt or sucks terribly, both of which are entirely possible.

I'd be shocked if EJ didn't win the starting job in training camp. That said, I wouldn't be horribly disappointed if he didn't start right away. I just think with all these speedy WR's, Marrone and Hackett are going to want someone who can air it out.

It's especially important for raw guys that can very well sit for a year. I could even see Kolb playing the whole year, unless he gets hurt or sucks terribly, both of which are entirely possible.

Kolb would have to beat out Manuel and Jackson for the starting gig. Doug said so much so: All his players will be fighting for a starting gig...what a refreshing change in attitude as compare to the previous staff, which was hell bent on not giving an opportunity to the backups.

It doesnt really matter if they are 4 or 5 yr contracts...you still can cut them if they fail.

similarly if he is a big time success they renegotiate the contract to pay him what he is worth.

The reason they took him is because Philadelkphia would have taken him at their 2nd round pick or traded up to around 24-27 to take him.

I believe most of the agents (at least for the 1st rounders) are negotiating a guaranteed deals, meaning all the 4 or 5 years of salaries are guaranteed for the player irrespective if they are or not there on the team.

Under the new collective bargaining agreement, only players drafted in the first round allow teams the option to extend the rookie contact for a fifth season. If you think you have the guy that will be your starting QB in a season or two why wait for round two or three when you can take him in round one and lock him up for 5 years instead of 4. That is a huge difference when you talk about QB's and the cost of the second contact, one year matters. I am thrilled that we got Manuel in the first round because if he turns out to be a stud we get an extra season on his first contract.

Section 3. Rookie Contracts:

(a) Contract Length. Every Rookie Contract shall have a fixed and unalter-

able contract length: (i) four years for Rookies selected in the first round of the Draft, with a Club option for a fifth year as described in Section 7 below; (ii) four years for Rookies selected in rounds two through seven of the Draft (including any compensatory draft selections); and (ii)i three years for Undrafted Rookies

Don't you come in here with your fancy "logic", "reasoning" and "analysis". Never mind that Buddy got exactly the guy he wanted and an extra two picks while doing it, we must have mass panic!!!

Curious how you know Philly would have taken him.

Don't you come in here with your fancy "logic", "reasoning" and "analysis". Never mind that Buddy got exactly the guy he wanted and an extra two picks while doing it, we must have mass panic!!!

Lol

Surprised to hear you say an extra year on the first contract is irrelevant. How often do we and other teams spend several years developing a player only to lose them in free agency after their rookie contract expires? For a potential franchise QB, that extra year is valuable in my opinion.

Under the new collective bargaining agreement, only players drafted in the first round allow teams the option to extend the rookie contact for a fifth season.

This is a valid point.

I don't think the Bills see it as reaching, though, nor were driven by contract concerns.

I think they decided EJ Manual was their boy, they figured they didn't need to draft him at #8, they worked a deal to get a few more picks, and then went for what they wanted.

Please explain why you think Manuel is "raw". He was a 4 year starter at a major program. That could be good or bad but he is certainly not raw. Tannehill was raw.

If you saw what Flacco just got paid, you'd realize that delaying that payday and having a year 4 negotiating tool is huge. Baltimore just won it all and is paying handsomely for that success right now, to the point where they had to shed many important pieces.

If this is the guy, I dont see it as a reach. Doesn't seem smart to wait and take the chance he will be gone.

Agreed. You can wait all day for the guy to be there when you think it's ideal, or you can gather a few extra picks then pull the trigger. I'm glad they were decisive and still got two WRs and a LB on day two.

Please explain why you think Manuel is "raw". He was a 4 year starter at a major program. That could be good or bad but he is certainly not raw. Tannehill was raw.

Please explain why you think Manuel was a 4 year starter at a major program? He spent 2 years (2009 and 2010) backing up Ponder and was a 2 year starter.

Please explain why you think Manuel was a 4 year starter at a major program? He spent 2 years (2009 and 2010) backing up Ponder and was a 2 year starter.

My bad then. I read that he won 4 bowl games. I still don't think he should be considered raw.

This is a valid point.

I don't think the Bills see it as reaching, though, nor were driven by contract concerns.

I think they decided EJ Manual was their boy, they figured they didn't need to draft him at #8, they worked a deal to get a few more picks, and then went for what they wanted.

Based on Buddy's comments, they obviously were targeting EJ and pulled the trigger rather than risk losing him. That means he was the QB that they wanted and they didn't have any other QB ranked anywhere near as high.