So is Buddy done after the draft?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a bit of a gut feeling that this might be his last. We'll see.

I have no ill will toward Buddy, either. In fact, quite the opposite. I know he never delivered on getting the Bills a "real-deal" QB, but time will tell with Manuel. I think Buddy helped get us better scouts and evaluators, Whaley included.

The chatter about Buddy leaving is all speculation and in many cases hopeful anticipation. Personally, I can't think of a single fact known to the public that supports the idea of Buddy's imminent departure.

Agreed. I'll believe it when I see it. He all but denied it on the radio the other day and said that he didn't like the term "GM-in-waiting" to describe Whaley but agreed that Doug was the "Assistant GM".

The chatter about Buddy leaving is all speculation and in many cases hopeful anticipation. Personally, I can't think of a single fact known to the public that supports the idea of Buddy's imminent departure.

Whaley not taking any interviews for GM positions. He would have been considered if he didn't take his name out of the candidates. I think it was Ian Rapaport who said that, but I can't recall for sure.

Well what would be the point of announcing yourself a lame duck?

PTR

Whaley not taking any interviews for GM positions.

Interesting. But for me personally, that alone doesn't convince me. I will grant you, your point reminds me that I seem to recall Russ saying at one point definitively (around the time Marrone was hired) that "Doug's not going anywhere". That would seem to signify Whaley inked a new contract (and likely scored a raise to keep him in place), but that still doesn't in my mind mean that Buddy's been shown the door. I think the decision & timetable is completely in Buddy's control.

Interesting. But for me personally, that alone doesn't convince me. I will grant you, your point reminds me that I seem to recall Russ saying at one point definitively (around the time Marrone was hired) that "Doug's not going anywhere". That would seem to signify Whaley inked a new contract (and likely scored a raise to keep him in place), but that still doesn't in my mind mean that Buddy's been shown the door. I think the decision & timetable is completely in Buddy's control.

I think he will be slowly phased out. He will stick around for awhile and be concerned with signing UDFA, some more FA like Dansby, some of the guys who are cut in training camp, etc, and fill out this year's roster. I would expect some kind of announcement during the season or at the end of the season, before the preparation for the next draft is in full swing.

Well what would be the point of announcing yourself a lame duck?

PTR

I could claim all night that Buddy's not going anywhere soon, but I haven't yet found success trying to prove a negative.

Can't blame a guy for challenging others to put facts on the table to support all the speculation.