So is Buddy done after the draft?

Again, all of you saying Nix did this and that are so way off base and dont even know it. Blame the lame duck coaching staff of Gailey and DJ in prior years. Now you want to blame Nix for hiring that staff, totally FAIR game and JUSTIFIED.

The GM heads the football operation. He hires the HC. He organizes the scouting department the way he wants to. He hires the head of college scouting and the head of pro scouting. The simplest way of describing it is that he is the CEO for the football operation.

You are correct that he doesn't act as a dictator when making decisions. The operation is too far flung for anyone one person to control. What he does or supposed to do is actually more important i.e. He establishes the process and the criteria that his football people (staff) follow when making decisions.

The building is his. The environment is the environment that he creates just as the control freak Donahoe created his own oppressive environment when he was running the operation. If Nix isn't the person most responsible for the team then who the heck is? If Gailey was a mediocre HC who influenced bad personnel decisions then who hired him? I get tired of the people not being held accountable for their miserable record. If the boss who runs the operation isn't most responsible for the sluggish performance of the franchise then who is?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no issues with Buddy staying on. I like him. The draft is an inexact science and even great organizations miss more than they hit. Like Buddy said, when you have a QB drafting is easy. Let's see if Buddy got the guy who can make this process 'easy' for him for the next few years.

Finally, we can get some closure.

After a weekend that may define his legacy in Buffalo one way or another, Nix also put to rest any speculation regarding his future. The 73-year-old said that nothing has changed regarding his timetable for retirement, a statement that Brandon echoed.

''There's a lot of speculation for whatever reason related to that but Buddy Nix is our general manager and will be for a long time,'' Brandon said.

Vindication link

The fans and media continue to manufacture the myth that Whaley's role is expanding and Buddy's is contracting. Some even pronounced during this draft that the picks weren't Buddy's. Here some Q&A from Brandon on the topic:

Q: In the past four months how has Doug Whaley’s role grown and evolved?

RB: It’s been consistent with years past, really the past couple of years. Doug continues to mature within his role. Buddy keeps providing him opportunity within the department. There’s lot of speculation for whatever reason related to that. Buddy Nix is our general manager and will be for a long time. As I mentioned before, Doug is a vital part to the process but when it comes to football decisions in this organization, one person and one person only makes decisions and that’s Buddy Nix.

Edited by BillnutinHouston

@JeffRussoWKBW 1m

#Bills Russ Brandon "Buddy Nix is our GM and will be for a long time. Doug (Whaley) is vital to the process."

And Jay Skurski at the BN is acting like Nix is already out the door. Congrats Buddy, you have an arch-enemy at the Buffalo News. UB AD Danny White has Bob DiCesere, Darcy Regier has Bucky Gleason, and now you have Jay Skurski.

PTR

You and birdog want to talk about the MERITS of Buddy's tenure and whether he should be gone. That's fine, but I took this thread to be about the TIMING of Buddy's departure. My point is, I see no public signs of Buddy being forced out. In fact I recall Russ' comments about Buddy on the day he took the reigns from Ralph. Russ was positively glowing about Buddy.

Branden and Nix are both idiots

Edited by Joe W

The GM heads the football operation. He hires the HC. He organizes the scouting department the way he wants to. He hires the head of college scouting and the head of pro scouting. The simplest way of describing it is that he is the CEO for the football operation.

You are correct that he doesn't act as a dictator when making decisions. The operation is too far flung for anyone one person to control. What he does or supposed to do is actually more important i.e. He establishes the process and the criteria that his football people (staff) follow when making decisions.

The building is his. The environment is the environment that he creates just as the control freak Donahoe created his own oppressive environment when he was running the operation. If Nix isn't the person most responsible for the team then who the heck is? If Gailey was a mediocre HC who influenced bad personnel decisions then who hired him? I get tired of the people not being held accountable for their miserable record. If the boss who runs the operation isn't most responsible for the sluggish performance of the franchise then who is?

How the man still has a Job I'll never know. Was it Russ Brandon's idea to hire Buddy Nix, If so it answers a lot of questions. All I can say is Tom Donahoe was canned for having a better record (31-48) then Buddy Nix (16-32). Is this new coaching staff supposed to get another 3 years of rebuilding allowance under Nix?

Donahoe traded for the franchise QB in Drew Bledsoe (2002), and also drafted one in JP Losman (2004). His failure was he never built that O line properly, and Nix is following in his footsteps in that regard.

The Bills went 9-7 in 2004 for the only winning record from 2000 to 2012. I just don't see the Bills ever hitting 9-7 with Buddy Nix as GM.

The chatter about Buddy leaving is all speculation and in many cases hopeful anticipation. Personally, I can't think of a single fact known to the public that supports the idea of Buddy's imminent departure.

Agreed.

Whaley not taking any interviews for GM positions. He would have been considered if he didn't take his name out of the candidates. I think it was Ian Rapaport who said that, but I can't recall for sure.

There's a wide range between imminent departure and heir apparent.

My money is on him re-retiring sooner rather than later.

What's your over/under?

And while we can disagree, this year's picks don't follow an established trend from 2010-12. Moreover, Whaley's promotion and aversion to interviewing for GM jobs probably means Nix ain't hanging around to see the result of the 2013 draft class.

What is the established trend btw?

Branden and Nix are both idiots

Funny how you always misspell his last name. You should edit your post. Again.

How the man still has a Job I'll never know. Was it Russ Brandon's idea to hire Buddy Nix, If so it answers a lot of questions.

Buddy Nix is a Ralph Wilson hire. Russ Brandon gave the owner a list of candidates for the position. The owner selected Nix without interviewing anyone else.

Agreed.

Whatever there both idiots

There's a wide range between imminent departure and heir apparent.

What's your over/under?

What is the established trend btw?

Funny how you always misspell his last name. You should edit your post. Again.

You know this how?

The hiring of Buddy Nix was strictly an owner decision made without his interviewing any other candidates outside of the organization. If you are aware of any outside cadidates interfiewed by the ower then I would be very interested to know.

http://www.nydailyne...rticle-1.434184

http://www.huffingto...o_n_408492.html

http://www.eastauror...aspx?artno=1226

Edited by JohnC

Amazing the lengths to which some people will go to satisfy their own need for misery.

I don't give a $hitt about their misery...I care about OUR misery from having TSW cluttered up with their posts....

Edited by Lurker