Rd 2, Pick #41: WR Robert Woods - USC

I found it on a Vikings website if anyone wants to view. He also said that Buffalo had 10 coaches in the room with him at the combine, breaking down film, etc. I agree, he is well spoken. I did not hear the part about EJ Manuel but that may have been a different clip.

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Combine-Presser-USC-WR-Robert-Woods/070119a1-ee5e-4dd5-8b68-12032620f90a

Here is the link. Go to 1.58. This is the glowing endorsement of EJ Manuel from Robert Woods at the Combine. It is a very positive sign. Not sure what Matt Barkley thought of the comment!

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/NFL-Network-Talks-With-USC-WR-Robert-Woods/39525d26-b7bc-4021-ac11-6fe86e926481

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say it this way: highest floor of any WR in the draft. May be a star, maybe not, but sure as heck won't be a bust. Great, great pick and frankly, we lucked out that he fell to 41.

Not convinced with "the highest floor" comment but Im pleased with the pick. Some one like Tavon Austin has the skills to be potentially an absolute superstar. What you get with Woods is a fantastic pair of hands, a maturity and dependability. A day 1 starter without the problems of many rookie WRs. I will be disappointed if Woods does not catch at least 60 balls this season assuming some reasonable QB play. Hope Stevie appreciates he will be sharing the load this year. Robert will be Mr Dependable.

Edited by peterlaw

Not convinced with "the highest floor" comment but Im pleased with the pick. Some one like Tavon Austin has the skills to be potentially an absolute superstar. What you get with Woods is a fantastic pair of hands, a maturity and dependability. A day 1 starter without the problems of many rookie WRs. I will be disappointed if Woods does not catch at least 60 balls this season assuming some reasonable QB play. Hope Stevie appreciates he will be sharing the load this year. Robert will be Mr Dependable.

I think you misread "highest floor." Austin may have the "highest ceiling." CT meant Woods has the least chance of failing or not being a solid player. Austin has a chance to be a bust.

Your own description of Woods is the definition of "highest floor."

I think you misread "highest floor." Austin may have the "highest ceiling." CT meant Woods has the least chance of failing or not being a solid player. Austin has a chance to be a bust.

Your own description of Woods is the definition of "highest floor."

Apologies to Coach Tuesday. Got it now. Thanks Kelly. Some initial translation issues on this side of the pond.

Edited by peterlaw

Watching his interviews solidifies my thoughts about him. The kid will be a fan favorite and an absolute building block. Can't wait to see him play. If da'Rick pans out too, this will be a great group of WRs combined with the speed of graham and Goodwin. The season can't come fast enough.

Woods is fast. He's been slowed by a nagging foot injury for awhile, and why he ran a 4.5. But he is a 4.4 guy, and was a track star coming into USC in the 200 and 400 meters. He's also got super quick feet. If he puts the injury behind him, he's a legit 4.4. I think he ran 4.43 as a soph. And is a guy who looks faster on the field and in pads, and gets open deep in addition to running good routes.

Maybe this is just semantics, but for me, Marquise Goodwin is "fast." Robert Woods is "not slow." Maybe it would sound better if I rephrased it as "fast enough?" But I base that on 2 things:

1.) Totally buy what you're saying about his 40 time, but doesn't affect anything for me. Donald Jones was also a 4.4 guy. He wasn't fast. Not slow either, but not fast. He was also about the same size as Woods, interestingly enough. (Hopefully we won't have to endure this coaching staff telling us that Woods is both our "big receiver" and our "deep threat" like the last one did with Jones.)

2.) Watching Woods' highlights, he looks fast enough to play WR in the NFL, and has some elusiveness to him, but he's not what I'd call fast. Fast for a TE or QB, sure, but not fast for a WR.

Not crapping on the pick -- Woods was one of the names I said out loud when Kelsay came out to announce it -- I'm just saying that Woods' weakness is a lack of top-tier/elite NFL measurables. But for a WR to last to the 2nd round, there has to be some knock on him. Which is actually kind of what worries me about Justin Hunter (whom I wanted more than Woods): He's 6'4" with a 40" vertical and a 4.36 40 time, and he was a multi-year starter with good production at Tennessee. So why wasn't he a first-rounder? I can pretty well say why Woods wasn't a first-rounder: his size/speed/athleticism combination is underwhelming. But it's good enough, and if he's as good as advertised in every other facet of being a receiver, he should be a nice player for us.

Maybe this is just semantics, but for me, Marquise Goodwin is "fast." Robert Woods is "not slow." Maybe it would sound better if I rephrased it as "fast enough?" But I base that on 2 things:

1.) Totally buy what you're saying about his 40 time, but doesn't affect anything for me. Donald Jones was also a 4.4 guy. He wasn't fast. Not slow either, but not fast. He was also about the same size as Woods, interestingly enough. (Hopefully we won't have to endure this coaching staff telling us that Woods is both our "big receiver" and our "deep threat" like the last one did with Jones.)

2.) Watching Woods' highlights, he looks fast enough to play WR in the NFL, and has some elusiveness to him, but he's not what I'd call fast. Fast for a TE or QB, sure, but not fast for a WR.

Not crapping on the pick -- Woods was one of the names I said out loud when Kelsay came out to announce it -- I'm just saying that Woods' weakness is a lack of top-tier/elite NFL measurables. But for a WR to last to the 2nd round, there has to be some knock on him. Which is actually kind of what worries me about Justin Hunter (whom I wanted more than Woods): He's 6'4" with a 40" vertical and a 4.36 40 time, and he was a multi-year starter with good production at Tennessee. So why wasn't he a first-rounder? I can pretty well say why Woods wasn't a first-rounder: his size/speed/athleticism combination is underwhelming. But it's good enough, and if he's as good as advertised in every other facet of being a receiver, he should be a nice player for us.

Woods is fast. Last year, if you're watching those highlights, he had a nagging foot injury. I live in LA and have watched him for three years. He is a fast player and blows by people often. He is also football fast with the ball in his hands, and he gets open deep all the time. I was using the 40 time only because his combine time was 4.5. Donald Jones may have run a 4.4 but he never looked fast to me. Woods, when healthy, looks and plays fast.

Woods stock went a little down this year because he was the second best WR on his own team, and his numbers went down, along with his production somewhat due to his nagging injury but mostly because of his coach and his team. Marquis Lee is simply ridiculous and probably the top WR in the draft next year. At times, to me, it looked like Woods was sulking, although it has been reported that he took the circumstances pretty well. Lane Kiffin fukked him. The USC season brought his stock down a little in the same way it brought Barkley's down. There were times when Barkley would only go to Lee (who was phenomenal) and Woods still managed 75 catches and 1000 yards and 11 TDs. But way down from his junior numbers.

The fact is, watching him three straight years, and hating his QB and his school, Woods was a very fast, very very good WR. I'm thrilled with that pick.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Woods is a Los Angeles kid so living in Buffalo will be the first time living away from home. He's also a Catholic school kid (Junipero Serra High where he played with George Farmer and Marqise Lee), and all of us who went to Catholic school know how innocent those grads are (ahem).

More seriously, having watched him in nearly every game at SC, these are my takeaways: he's fast, has great hands, makes terrific route adjustments, is an excellent route runner, tough, plays with injuries and doesn't dog it, and fits Buddy's cherished quality of "being open even when he isn't open." He's bright, polite, thoughtful, well-spoken, and there has never been a whisper of character issues. This is a tremendous pick.

Woods is fast. Last year, if you're watching those highlights, he had a nagging foot injury. I live in LA and have watched him for three years. He is a fast player and blows by people often. He is also football fast with the ball in his hands, and he gets open deep all the time. I was using the 40 time only because his combine time was 4.5. Donald Jones may have run a 4.4 but he never looked fast to me. Woods, when healthy, looks and plays fast.

Woods stock went a little down this year because he was the second best WR on his own team, and his numbers went down, along with his production somewhat due to his nagging injury but mostly because of his coach and his team. Marquis Lee is simply ridiculous and probably the top WR in the draft next year. At times, to me, it looked like Woods was sulking, although it has been reported that he took the circumstances pretty well. Lane Kiffin fukked him. The USC season brought his stock down a little in the same way it brought Barkley's down. There were times when Barkley would only go to Lee (who was phenomenal) and Woods still managed 75 catches and 1000 yards and 11 TDs. But way down from his junior numbers.

The fact is, watching him three straight years, and hating his QB and his school, Woods was a very fast, very very good WR. I'm thrilled with that pick.

Nice scouting report! I think a lot of the highlights I've watched were from 2011, but I don't remember for sure. I won't say you've fully convinced me, but I've definitely raised my hopes for Woods a bit. Can't wait to see him in action!

: he's fast, has great hands, makes terrific route adjustments, is an excellent route runner, tough, plays with injuries and doesn't dog it, and fits Buddy's cherished quality of "being open even when he isn't open." He's bright, polite, thoughtful, well-spoken, and there has never been a whisper of character issues. This is a tremendous pick.

This. He's a polished WR. He was when he was a freshmen. He knows how to play the position and has the athleticism to be special. He might not be 6'3 220, but he doesn't have to be. It's probably our safest pick in the last decade, as his floor is extremely high.

Nice scouting report! I think a lot of the highlights I've watched were from 2011, but I don't remember for sure. I won't say you've fully convinced me, but I've definitely raised my hopes for Woods a bit. Can't wait to see him in action!

I think you put too much stock into height and measurable. The kid is good. Really good.

Think he lines up as our #2 in week 1.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't.

Edited by NewEra

I think you put too much stock into height and measurable. The kid is good. Really good.

That's funny, because I think I put exactly the right amount of stock into height and measurables. ;) I like the pick, and think/hope we got a solid starter out of it, which is great. But if you think about the best WRs in the league, you might get something like:

1. Megatron
  2. AJ Green
  3. Larry Fitzgerald
  4. Dez Bryant
  5. Brandon Marshall
  6. Julio Jones
  7. Percy Harvin
  8. Demaryius Thomas

All of those guys are physical freaks, mostly of the big & tall variety. (Harvin being the smaller speedster-type, but still a "measurable" freak.) Now, I'm cutting off the list before I get to guys like Victor Cruz, Roddy White, Wes Welker, or Reggie Wayne (or Stevie!), so it's not like you can't be a good WR unless you're a physical freak. My point is just that almost all of the BEST WRs, at least these days, tend to have elite measurables. Doesn't mean Woods will suck or even be mediocre -- we'd all be thrilled with Victor Cruz-like production, right?

That's funny, because I think I put exactly the right amount of stock into height and measurables. ;) I like the pick, and think/hope we got a solid starter out of it, which is great. But if you think about the best WRs in the league, you might get something like:

1. Megatron
  2. AJ Green
  3. Larry Fitzgerald
  4. Dez Bryant
  5. Brandon Marshall
  6. Julio Jones
  7. Percy Harvin
  8. Demaryius Thomas

All of those guys are physical freaks, mostly of the big & tall variety. (Harvin being the smaller speedster-type, but still a "measurable" freak.) Now, I'm cutting off the list before I get to guys like Victor Cruz, Roddy White, Wes Welker, or Reggie Wayne (or Stevie!), so it's not like you can't be a good WR unless you're a physical freak. My point is just that almost all of the BEST WRs, at least these days, tend to have elite measurables. Doesn't mean Woods will suck or even be mediocre -- we'd all be thrilled with Victor Cruz-like production, right?

I hear ya. I'm not saying woods is going to be a top 8 WR in the league. He was drafted in the 2nd rd (of your top 8, all but Marshall was a 1st rd pick). I wouldn't be surprised if he was our best WR next year, if not 2.

1. Megatron

2. AJ Green

3. Larry Fitzgerald

4. Dez Bryant

5. Brandon Marshall

6. Julio Jones

7. Percy Harvin

8. Demaryius Thomas

You forgot Andre Johnson who is big but not a speedster. And looking purely at production (and not putting opinion into it) Wayne, White and Welker were all top 10 in the league last year.

My point being that there's more than one road to success and even without out-of-this-world measurables guys can be super productive. Top 10 productive.

Now, I'm not predicting that for Woods but I will say our days of wishing the Bills had someone to take pressure off Stevie are over.

I keep seeing comparisons of Woods to Reggie Wayne when he came into the league. Rightfully so, they are almost identical in height, weight, & measurables. They were both seen as the best route runner & most NFL-ready WR in their class, but were said to be a cut below superstar level.

While I hope Woods turns out like Wayne, it should be noted that Wayne had a VERY slow start to his career.

Wayne's rookie year stat line is actually worse than TJ Graham's, despite having Peyton Manning as his QB. Even his 2nd year was nothing to get excited over. This board will be crying BUST if Woods only matches Wayne's rookie numbers of 27 catches for 345 yards & no TDs.

We need to temper our expectations IMO.