Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts...

1] He was the QB i wanted the most if i had my choice so I'm happy.

2] If all of these guys are 50-50 chances, which i believe to be true this year, take the guy who could be the grand slam not the homerun and that is EJ.

3] Signing Kolb to me is a direct result of the team liking Manuel more than others. Manuel can sit for a year or perhaps half a year. Barkley and Nassib could have played earlier but when you draft a QB #1 it is a 5-10 year hope, not one year.

4] We don't know the inner workings... it could have been that Marrone wanted Nassib and Nix wanted Manuel. I don't know. But making that trade and taking him above any other QB gives me confidence that they believe Manuel is a potential franchise guy. We all hope that is true, no matter who your favorite guy was, unless you're an ****... We arent going to know, in all likelihood, for 2-3 years, but we have a stud prospect and a guy in Kolb who can be a stopgap.

If they don't sign Kolb, they cannot afford to draft Manuel, IMO.

A lot of people believe Kolb has the skills needed to be a good starting NFL QB if he can stay healthy.

Mayock, Gruden and others believe Manuel can be groomed to be a good NFL QB.

Between the two of them, we should have something. If not this year, then by 2014.

It's nice to see everyone is so enthusiastic and positive about the pick. I think the Bills panicked a bit and chose him too early though. Buddy was under intense pressure to select a QB based on his failure to get one last year.(when the QB class was stronger)

I hope he becomes a great QB for the Bills.

As I said in an earlier post, the Bills were faced with a relatively weak QB class and a strong class for lineman and therefore (based on history) they would select a QB. It is no coincidence that this organization hasn't made the playoffs in 13 years.

Buddy said his goal was to get three starters with the top 3 picks, so I guess he better nail the next three picks.

The Bills added another Kelly Holcomb in the form of Kolb. They completed the other half of the task today by adding the next Losman. Both Losman and Manuel have good physical tools. Neither had good pocket presence. Neither had done much, in college, to show they had the ability to quickly process complex information--an ability absolutely required to be successful at the NFL level. Manuel is more accurate than Losman at short to intermediate passes; whereas Losman was probably the more accurate of the two in the deep passing game. Manuel is the more confident of the two, and a better leader.

It will probably take the Bills about four years to figure out he's not the answer. Four years of passing up other QB prospects. The first year or two may see a Kolb/Manuel competition, much like the Holcomb/Losman competition. To confuse the situation further, the Bills have Travaris Jackson waiting in the wings. Eventually, I expect Manuel to emerge victorious from that competition; and to have 1 - 2 good years. (Much like Losman's good year.)

When I went to Yahoo!, one of the headlines was about how the Bills had shocked the NFL by taking a QB that most hadn't projected to go in the first round. This isn't exactly the first time the Bills have delivered this kind of shock. The Whitner pick was similarly shocking.

I felt that the Bills had a chance to finally find a successor to Jim Kelly. They realized they needed one. My choice would have been Barkley. But if Barkley's arm was an issue, or if there were other problems with him, Nassib would have been a nice consolation prize. Or they could have waited until the 2014 draft. I really thought the Bills were going to get their QB situation fixed; which makes this pick more disappointing than the Whitner pick had been. More disappointing than the Music City Miracle. The last time I remember feeling this much sports-related disappointment was either No Goal or Wide Right.

Maybe I'm wrong--both about Barkley and Manuel--and San Jose Bills Fan is right. For the Bills' sake, I hope that's the case. But right now, my instincts tell me Manuel is going to be another Losman or Sanchez. :cry:

I should be sleeping right now. But I can't, because of the feeling that the Bills once again let a golden opportunity slip through their grasp. I hope, rather than believe, that this is merely a case of me indulging in unfounded paranoia.

fantastic. this changes the team's whole outlook. nassib and barkley had potential for "just good enough."

manuel has the potential for "elite." he's got elite size, speed, and arm strength. hopefully he can pick the reads up and become elite. there is always a question mark.

but this really changes the whole view of the team. quarterback is EVERYTHING in the NFL.

let's not forget that they picked up an extra second round pick in the process.

finally, some sense from this organization....

A+. i'm happier than i've been in years.

It's nice to see everyone is so enthusiastic and positive about the pick. I think the Bills panicked a bit and chose him too early though. Buddy was under intense pressure to select a QB based on his failure to get one last year.(when the QB class was stronger)

I hope he becomes a great QB for the Bills.

As I said in an earlier post, the Bills were faced with a relatively weak QB class and a strong class for lineman and therefore (based on history) they would select a QB. It is no coincidence that this organization hasn't made the playoffs in 13 years.

Buddy said his goal was to get three starters with the top 3 picks, so I guess he better nail the next three picks.

I don't think they panicked. They knew he was their man and they wanted to keep their picks from the Rams trade so they just pulled the trigger at #16 instead of hoping for him to fall or to trade back further only to have someone trade in front.

The accuracy rap is complete nonsense.

1) Although completion percentage doesn't necessarily prove accuracy, EJ's career completion percentage is very high, 66.9% in spite of the fact that his career yards per attempt is quite high at 8.6 ypa. To complete a high percentage of passes while throwing the ball farther downfield than most QBs would seem to refute any questions about his accuracy.

2) In addition, the Sports Science segment on EJ mentioned that on passes thrown 10 yards or more downfield, his completion percentage was within 2% of Andrew Luck's.

3) In the Sports Science segment, EJ scored higher on the accuracy tests than any other tested QB and his combined metrics were in the neighborhood of Big Ben and Kaepernick's

4) In the Quicken Loan Skills competition, Manuel blew away the competition (Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennon, and Jordan Rodgers in the accuracy part of the competition. He also won that competition overall.

5) I've watched about 8 games of videos (all plays where he threw or ran the ball, certainly over 200 passes) and the guy throws a beautiful and accurate ball.

Whatever shortcomings EJ may have, accuracy is not one of them.

good to hear........yeah the ypa is heavily tied to completion percentage(see cpt checkdown)

Such a crazy pick it crashed the board YAHOO!

Yes. EJ "Board Crasher" Manuel.

Right pick, wrong pick or whatever...regardless of how he plays...

EJM will be the first player I've ever seen drafted, who literally crashed the board.

:lol:

I am happy that we traded down.

I am scared that EJM won't be able to execute in the pro game, but, I am equally excited by the possibility that he is one of those, frustrating, guys that plays at the level he is at, and as that level gets better, so does he.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

That was his team today.

If the bills didn't want Smith, and the jets didn't take him either, and at 16 the bills were the last team with a QB need, why wouldn't they take someone they can use right away instead of rolling the dice like the incompetent dolts that they are?

Even I knew as soon as the jets didn't take Geno that there wouldn't be a QB taken in rd 1. Within about 3 minutes after the jets pick I had the QB scenario figured out for rd2. A. Trade up to 31/32 to grab a QB ahead of the next team that needs one (jax) which I understand isn't Rd 2 but almost. B. Since the Eagles were the other team with strong interest in Manuel, and the Bills felt they had to have him you trade ahead of them to 34 with SF. Or I believe this is the best option, C. You take whatever Qb is available at that point because they are all pretty much Projects or guys who might be ready but have low ceilings, and don't they have to give up a pick to do so.

None of the QBs available could start for for the Bills or any other team this year, no QBs were good enought to be drafted day 1 and only one team was incompetent enought to not know it. Oh, and of all the projects, they took the one who needs the most time to develop. Way to go morons you panicked and panicked hard, get your F'ing heads out of the sand and look at whats going on around you. Like the Broncos in '11 you didn't need to make this pick and it was obvious to everyone but you.

Hey buddy, better get some linemen tomorrow to protect Kolb, Jackson, Korp and whatever retreads you bring in to play for the next 5 years until EJ is ready to go.

This pick makes me wanna f'ing puke.

Edited by Cru Jones

I am excited by this pick. Manuel looks very athletic, mobile, and accurate at short passes. He has the right attitude, and clearly is going to provide some energy. Manuel and CJ could be an explosive combination if EJ develops quickly. A great test for our new coaching staff and I am excited to see it play out.

The accuracy rap is complete nonsense.

1) Although completion percentage doesn't necessarily prove accuracy, EJ's career completion percentage is very high, 66.9% in spite of the fact that his career yards per attempt is quite high at 8.6 ypa. To complete a high percentage of passes while throwing the ball farther downfield than most QBs would seem to refute any questions about his accuracy.

2) In addition, the Sports Science segment on EJ mentioned that on passes thrown 10 yards or more downfield, his completion percentage was within 2% of Andrew Luck's.

3) In the Sports Science segment, EJ scored higher on the accuracy tests than any other tested QB and his combined metrics were in the neighborhood of Big Ben and Kaepernick's

4) In the Quicken Loan Skills competition, Manuel blew away the competition (Ryan Nassib, Mike Glennon, and Jordan Rodgers in the accuracy part of the competition. He also won that competition overall.

5) I've watched about 8 games of videos (all plays where he threw or ran the ball, certainly over 200 passes) and the guy throws a beautiful and accurate ball.

Whatever shortcomings EJ may have, accuracy is not one of them.

ahh...quantifiable data...me likey. Especially the head to head....and double especially about the Luck stats.

Now, is McShay, when he says he hates the pick...denigrating his own network's Sports Science people?

Ok. Been watching all the after draft shows and all the comments on who had good grades and who had bad grades in the first round and I don't understand it.

Everyone and I mean every single draft "expert" knew, expected, and thought we should have gone with a QB early.

Almost every one of these same "experts" had very similar things to say about Manuel. Strong arm. Very big and physical. Most upside, are all things said when describing him.

I have read, thanks to SJBF and Sports Science that he is actually very accurate, but yet now all the "experts" are saying he's not very accurate. Seems odd that he has actual stats that show the "experts" are wrong yet they all stick by their thoughts about his accuracy.

They all thought the Bills had a failing grade tonight. I can't understand for the life of me why we get no love here? We picked up extra draft picks, got the QB that we wanted 1st and got the guy that many of the same "experts" have said has the biggest upside. McShay actually said he thinks Manuel was a "BIG Mistake for the organization"

They are all also talking about how we should have taken Nassib (including Polian) because of Marrones familiarity with him. Why is it so hard to think of it the other way. Maybe Marrone Didnt want him because he knows that Nassib won't be able to cut it in the NFL. Or maybe they just don't think Nassib is as good.

With all that said. I think it's great that we Didnt take Nassib. It's obvious that Marrone had his hand in this pick since he's the HC and he thinks Manuel is the superior athlete here. IMO, he's much better than Smith and more ready to come in and start just as quickly as anyone in this draft at the QB position. Can make plays with his feet and extend play similarly to Kaepernick, Young, Wilson.

Also, if like to point out what a crying B%#+H Smith was near the end if the draft. He literally "took his ball and went home" before the end of the first round. Refused an interview and said hell be flying home and not coming back tomorrow. Can I just say, thank you for not taking this crybaby b%#^h!!! He will be the next Vince Young. Only not as good. Glad we Didnt waste a pick on this baby.

I thought this might deserve its own thread since its a little different from the topic but thought I'd let everyone else decide. Mods, feel free to move if you desire.

ahh...quantifiable data...me likey. Especially the head to head....and double especially about the Luck stats.

Now, is McShay, when he says he hates the pick...denigrating his own network's Sports Science people?

If McShay says he hates the pick shouldn't we all rejoice? Even those who hate the Manuel pick?