Remember the 3rd Round Last Year. This is why...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the Nassib is rated around 50 overall - and that it'd be another reach to take him at 8 - sometimes teams aren't set up to take the perfectly rated player. Now, there's a lot of merit to taking BPA, but what is BPA before the draft, and after a few years, is NEVER the same thing. And, it really is Buffalo's fault - whoever's fault - Nix, certainly at the top of that list, but probably Wilson and Gailey, as well, for not having drafted a QB in the last 3 years worth developing. Now Buffalo is in a position where unless they truly believe Kolb can be a winning QB this year, they have to reach for a QB.

Unfortunately, just because Buffalo "reached" for Graham last year - which is separate from passing on Wilson - that really has no cause and effect on them taking a QB early this year. They don't have a QB - yes, because they did pass on Wilson last year, and Kaepernick the year before - but, taking a QB of value at any pick this year might not be a possibility for them. In my opinion, they're taking a QB at 8 unless they're sold on Kolb. They just can't risk losing their guy to all the teams before their 8 pick and their next pick.

We'll see how long Wilson lasts at 5'10-5/8" and 204#. Despite his speed, he took 33 sacks last year behind a pretty good OL, not to mention numerous other hits on his scrambles.

I saw Baltimore started taking shots at Kaep after he pitched the ball in the super bowl, I think that's going to continue this year for these qb's.

The Russell Wilsom threads need to end. Chan would have never played him last year so most fans would still be hoping for them to draft a "franchise" QB this year. yeah looking back now it seems the Bills screwed up but if I remember right whoever picked before them took a punter in the 3rd round?

I saw Baltimore started taking shots at Kaep after he pitched the ball in the super bowl, I think that's going to continue this year for these qb's.

That's how I would play them. Take any free shot you can and put a little extra mustard on tackles after scrambles.

...You never know WTF the Bills brass is thinking. I remember watching and hearing the BILLS have TRADED UP and I thought YES!! YES!! We are going to take Russel Wilson. He won't last to the 4th where the Bills want him so we are getting him now!! Great move..... then......

silence.... and with their pick in the 3rd round the Buffalo Bills select... WR T.J. Graham.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME! I had to look up stats and ranking for this no name unheard of speedster and saw him as the 34th ranked receiver. Maybe the Bills know something, I tried to convince myself. Maybe they'll still get Wilson BUT NO! GOD NO! They did it again. And we all know how that played out.

Which is why something tells me they will do it THIS YEAR TOO! Some head scratching boneheaded pick that Whitner's my ass into a Maybin frenzy. I just don't trust them to get it right.

So the question is? What dumbs, head scratching, rip your eyeballs out move do you think they will pull this year or does Marrone have enough sense and insight and power to guide the ship off the damn iceberg for once?

My guess. Buddy goes down with the ship guiding us to pick #8--- Matt Barkley, sunshine boy USC, RJ#2 can't slice it through the cold winds.

I really like EJ Manuel but don't know if he plays good in the cold. Nassib seems like the only logical choice to fit what we do in the environment we do it in. But who follows logic at OBD.

RJ#2? Barkley is nothing like Rob Johnson. Both white guys who played QB at USC, that's it. Rob was taller and had a very strong arm.

Let me come out and say that Russell Wison is not as great as everyone seems to be indicating. He is on a stacked team so they are going to win games but he is an average passer and makes most of his big plays with his feet. That is not something that you can maintain in the NFL. He may develop into a strong passer but he's not one now and, unlike Kaepernick, I don't see a rocket arm on him.

Also, if he had been drafted by the Bills in the 3rd round last year he would've never seen the field with Gailey's favorite son at QB and people here would already be calling him a bust.

After the draft Buddy said they had several guys with TJ's skill set they wanted to draft and TJ was the last one. So they made a move and got him. Ya we passed on Wilson. My username is Captain Hindsight and I'm ready to move on

Let this be a lesson for all of us :lol:

TJ, as a rookie, caught 30 some passes. It's very very early into 2013 but from what's come out of the first mini camp, TJ was the best WR in camp. I don't think this was a wasted 3rd rounder, not as great as the Wilsom pick for sure, but certainly not wasted. Buddy's 2012 draft may turn out to really great.

Agree.

Don't forget , Marrone is "picking out the groceries" ( great Parcells quote ) now so I think our draft strategy will change .

He is? I've never heard that Marrone is taking over the decisionmaking from Buddy. Link?

Edited by BillnutinHouston

Until this franchise gets a complete overhaul you can expect the very same mind numbing moves in the draft, in free agency, in hiring of coaches, scouts.

The thing I can't forget is the look on Mike Mayock's face when the NFL network announced the Bills with the 3rd pick. He shuffled thu some papers, stated he had Graham graded as a 7th rounder and then they went to a commercial.

"Mayock's take: "I had him going in the seventh round. He can fly, though."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/t.j.-graham?id=2532850

After Graham was drafted Nix patted himself on the back and stated, see, we trade around in the draft all the time. Ohhh, they moved up a whole 2 spots to snag a 7th rounder in the 3rd. The legacy of Buddy Nix!

Let me come out and say that Russell Wison is not as great as everyone seems to be indicating. He is on a stacked team so they are going to win games but he is an average passer and makes most of his big plays with his feet. That is not something that you can maintain in the NFL. He may develop into a strong passer but he's not one now and, unlike Kaepernick, I don't see a rocket arm on him.

Also, if he had been drafted by the Bills in the 3rd round last year he would've never seen the field with Gailey's favorite son at QB and people here would already be calling him a bust.

Seemed to me like he tossed-up more than a few prayers that his receivers hauled-in. Not unlike the one that "won" the GB game.

I doubt it. I expect that the refs will be told to crack down on those hits. It was obvious that he had given up the ball and the league can't afford to lose QBs.

If they draft Barkley at 8 or Nassib at 8...I'll still be drinking beer and high fiving, because it would be the first time EVER the Bills drafted a QB first.

(Jim Kelly was 1b, TE was picked that went 1a & Lee Evans went 1a, JP went 1b)

and if they pick either of these, we'll still be waiting for them to pick a 1st round QB :thumbdown:

My problem with the pick is far more Russel Wilson than TJ Graham. Graham had an iffy rookie year with some promise. Whatever.

There is not a single player on any Bills roster between 2000 and the present that I would rather have than Russel Wilson.

I agree. But Wilson had red flags, which is why every team passed on Him twice. He proved everyone wrong, of course. but I am not going to hold that mistake -- among the many-- against nix and co.