Clay Matthews signs new contract

But the dude probably could have waited to the end of next season and been the highest paid non-QB in the NFL. I do respect him for having his own brain though (not being lead astray by his agent) and realizing $31 million is plenty enough money.

But the dude probably could have waited to the end of next season and been the highest paid non-QB in the NFL. I do respect him for having his own brain though (not being lead astray by his agent) and realizing $31 million is plenty enough money.

+1. When you are part of a winning program, such things are so simple and easy.

Are you saying that his agent tried to lead him astray?

Once the Packers extend Rodgers, how much of their salary cap will be tied up by just 2 players? Like 25%?

Not saying your number is correct. This is why the draft has become critical for teams. Veteran contracts for solid but not elite players are being squeezed. Money is going to elite players.

There is no question that the Bills overpaid (meaning it's doubtful there was any kind of bidding war for his services and they simply offered asking price). I also think the Packers overpaid Matthews. That's a lot of money for one small part of a defense that has been a bit shaky the past 2 seasons. How much worse would they be without him? If the answer is "probably not much", then why devote such a huge chunk of the payroll to him?

Are you saying that his agent tried to lead him astray?

Not at all. But when I read these stories about players holding out and crying to the media about how they need to be able to put food on the table, I can't help but think the agents are getting into these players' heads and getting them all worked up about how they deserve to make more money. When a players sits out training camp or half the season, I don't think the players want to do this, but their agents convince them to.

I also think the Packers overpaid Matthews. That's a lot of money for one small part of a defense that has been a bit shaky the past 2 seasons.

He may have had a bit of a down year in 2012, but is there another defensive player in the NFL as dominant and game changing as Matthews? And he's only 26. We probably hasn't even hit his prime.

Edited by kas23

Not at all. But when I read these stories about players holding out and crying to the media about how they need to be able to put food on the table, I can't help but think the agents are getting into these players' heads and getting them all worked up about how they deserve to make more money. When a players sits out training camp or half the season, I don't think the players want to do this, but their agents convince them to.

He may have had a bit of a down year in 2012, but is there another defensive player in the NFL as dominant and game changing as Matthews? And he's only 26. We probably hasn't even hit his prime.

Are you saying that agents are bad for the sport?

So, Clay Matthews gets a 5 year extension with $31 million guaranteed, but we signed Mario Williams last year for 6 years with $50 million guaranteed. Hometown discount or did the Bills vastly overpay? Probably both.

http://espn.go.com/n...een-bay-packers

The Bills have to overpay to get certain players. Losing franchise in a less-than-glamorous city. Many players would never sign here period.

PTR

The Bills have to overpay to get certain players. Losing franchise in a less-than-glamorous city. Many players would never sign here period.

PTR

Exactly. Ask yourselves this, which would you rather have on the Bills long term, Mario with his contract or Clay with his?

As for my answer just let me say this ... if Nix managed to sign Clay Matthews to that contract for the Bils, I would drive to Buffalo and kiss him on the mouth.

Other than, say, JJ Watt? Or Von Miller? Or Geno Atkins? Or Aldon Smith?

Matthews is a "game changer?" 2 seasons ago, he anchored the worst pass D in NFL history.

Matthews is a "game changer?" 2 seasons ago, he anchored the worst pass D in NFL history.

In fairness to Kas, pass rushers can have a profound effect on a team's fortunes as we saw with Bruce Smith. Of course Bruce is a Hall of Famer.

While game changers can come from a few different positions there is no single position in football that has such a profound effect on a team's fortunes as QUARTERBACK.

Exactly. Ask yourselves this, which would you rather have on the Bills long term, Mario with his contract or Clay with his?

As for my answer just let me say this ... if Nix managed to sign Clay Matthews to that contract for the Bils, I would drive to Buffalo and kiss him on the mouth.

Good reason not to sign contract dealing with a very strange stalker.

So, Clay Matthews gets a 5 year extension with $31 million guaranteed, but we signed Mario Williams last year for 6 years with $50 million guaranteed. Hometown discount or did the Bills vastly overpay? Probably both.

http://espn.go.com/n...een-bay-packers

The Bills overpaid Mario a bit(1m-2m/year) due to FA pressure etc......but the Matthews deal is by no means a bargain.

The new money for the new years on the Matthews deal equates to 13.2m/year.....which makes him the #1 paid LB in the league.

Edited by Dibs